Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default VW Kills The Beetle

The Volkswagen New Beetle launched with great fanfare over a decade ago, reviving the classic Beetle name from the company's history. Yesterday at the LA Auto Show, however, VW sent the car packing.

The company hosted a press conference where they announced that 2010 would be the car's final year. To commemorate the moment, VW released a "Final Edition" special model at the show, expected to sell only 3000 units in a unique paint scheme. Half of that number will be hardtop coupes while the other half will be convertibles.

While most of the vehicle is the same as the New Beetle you could have purchased over the last few years, this new edition comes with a sport suspension and unique 17-inch wheels. The hatchback will cost $20,240 while the convertible starts at $27,170.

The New Beetle launched in 1998 to incredible amounts of media and consumer attention. It caught (or, more likely, started) the wave of retro hype that automakers fixated on during the millenium. Cars like the Ford Thunderbird arrived on the scene hoping to curry the same favor that VW found with its new-age Beetle.

The next Beetle, likely to launch in 2011 as a 2012 model, is expected to shed its cutesy, happy-go-lucky design aesthetic in favor of a more aggressive look in concert with VW's Golf, with which it will share a platform.

The Beetle is dead, long live the Beetle!

Old 04-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Good ridance, the thing was an awful thing to look at, it ruined the classic name of the original bettle, lets just hope the next gen is alot better
Old 04-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

YEp...I loved the rattle of the engine on an old Beetle. They had real character.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #4
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

about time.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
The company hosted a press conference where they announced that 2010 would be the car's final year. To commemorate the moment, VW released a "Final Edition" special model

The next Beetle, likely to launch in 2011 as a 2012 model, is expected to shed its cutesy, happy-go-lucky design aesthetic in favor of a more aggressive look in concert with VW's Golf, with which it will share a platform.

The Beetle is dead, long live the Beetle!
Hmmm, has it been killed, or is it being reinvented? If there is going to be this aggressive reincarnation in 2012, I suggest one of the original styled Superbug bodies that are being built new in Mexico, late model suspension, RWD/tansaxle/IRS, intercooled and turboed Golf motor, big wheels etc.

Practicality: None.

Cool factor: Bucketloads.

Economic feasability: Who cares, the world is ending in 2012.

You see, I have visions of all car companies adopting similar principles as Bugatti over the next few years. This is the reason that they are asking for government bailouts. It's nothing to do with the economic crisis. It is a fabrication, a conspiracy. The world is going to end in 2012, car companies are pouring all their money into secret labs, in a race to build the wildest car before the end of the world.

The Falcon is going nowhere, there is no reality of a global platform or Mondeos taking the place of our awesome RWD Falcon. The scoop is that the next model is a reinvented GTHO, running the 'new' cammer, which is a quad overhead cam 627ci, (as opposed to the SOHC 427) with forced induction, and nitrous oxide a dealer option. Estimated HP will depend on whether nitromethane is used, but will be in top-fueller territory. This is inside info, I cannot divulge any more until it's release in 2011. You have been warned
LOCO XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I heard something similar about the 2012 Clubby.

It has a reprofiled bootlid spoiler, on which are a couple of warp drive nacelles. The DRL's are around the grille, as part of deflector dish...bit like that on the enterprise.

It comes in Spock White, Uhura Brown and James T Kirk red.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
FPVF6X201
Formerly FPVwannabe

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Slotted front rotors for the TTG write-up and pics. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
YEp...I loved the rattle of the engine on an old Beetle. They had real character.

Dak dak dak dak dak................

Borla ATAK axle back exhaust.
Hawk ceramic brake pads.
CLStech Ribbon DRL mod.
X Lume illuminated grille badge.
Injen CAI.
FPVF6X201 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Why do I suddenly imagine VW execs driving a Bug to the gates of Mordor to "finally kill it".
Old 04-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The next Beetle, likely to launch in 2011 as a 2012 model, is expected to shed its cutesy, happy-go-lucky design aesthetic in favor of a more aggressive look
A few ideas getting thrown around VW HQ

Old 04-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #10
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Daka daka daka daka.

Unfortunately, ya can't kill the little critters - if and when production stops you will still be left with 3 trillion second hand cars travelling the roads.

Still, memories of my 1962 red noddy mobile travelling off to uni, 80 - 90 kph top speed, and it decided to split it's petrol hose and commenced dripping petrol onto the exhaust pipe - naturally, I didn't make it to class that day as I was having a discussion with the local fire brigade.

Horrid little things should be banned. LOL
auxr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #11
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

About time, this thing was past it's used by date 5 years ago. Now where is that PT Cruiser?
Old 04-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #12
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
Now where is that PT Cruiser?
Kill it! Kill it with fire!
Old 04-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #13
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Will not be missed.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #14
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isn't the Beetle just a more expensive version of the Golf? It has pretty much all Golf underpinnings and doesn't look as good - which is why many just buy a Golf. The novelty has worn off.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 10:13 PM   #15
bigdude1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
Isn't the Beetle just a more expensive version of the Golf?
Mk4 Golf!! Mk6 came out last year
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 10:47 PM   #16
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
Isn't the Beetle just a more expensive version of the Golf? It has pretty much all Golf underpinnings and doesn't look as good - which is why many just buy a Golf. The novelty has worn off.
yep, definetly worn off. Fact is the underpinnings are from the MK IV Golf, and it still costs more than a new golf (MK VI).
Old 05-12-2009, 01:49 AM   #17
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOCO XP
Kill it! Kill it with fire!
In a funny twist of fate, a Chrysler styled to look like a Ford and built in Mexico has been saved by an Italian. In other words, the Chrysler PT Cruiser has had a stay of execution and for the time being will stay in production.

The PT Cruiser assembly line in Toluca, Mexico, was scheduled to run dry this summer, but Chrysler Group LLC CEO Sergio Marchionne decided to keep the retro-Ford-styled compact wagon in production. Marchionne apparently saw a future for the idiosyncratic Chrysler, and as CEO of Fiat, Sergio Marchionne has had much experience with idiosyncratic small cars.

Actually, although PT Cruiser sales are off from a peak of 144,717 in 2001, there were still 50,910 sold last year, and that with no advertising support. With the tooling fully amortized, production costs low and the alternative of an idle factory, keeping the PT Cruiser around for a little longer just makes sense.
My comment..wouldn't FORD love to sell the Focus etc, in those numbers,with no advertising support!!!
Old 05-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #18
bigdude1011

Quote:
My comment..wouldn't FORD love to sell the Focus etc, in those numbers,with no advertising support!!!
Model T lookalike on Focus chassis anyone? : Though it might better suit the Fiesta.
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2009, 01:30 PM   #19
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Reminds me of the TG Africa challenge - with that damn beetle following the boys around, apparently unstoppable, just waiting for their cars to die.

I personally chringe everytime I lay eyes on the poxy looking late model versions, with that DAMN STUPID flower poking out of the dash. Do they come with a fake flower????? Or are all late model beetle owners members of the same flower worshipping cult.?

Chicks seem to dig 'em, never seen a man driving one though. Maybe male owners only venture out after sunset?

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #20
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Reminds me of the TG Africa challenge - with that damn beetle following the boys around, apparently unstoppable, just waiting for their cars to die.

I personally chringe everytime I lay eyes on the poxy looking late model versions, with that DAMN STUPID flower poking out of the dash. Do they come with a fake flower????? Or are all late model beetle owners members of the same flower worshipping cult.?

Chicks seem to dig 'em, never seen a man driving one though. Maybe male owners only venture out after sunset?
The flower was actually a factory option

Its was well over time to kill that evil thing, an aweful reskinned golf. If VW want oldskool send us the South African Mk1 Golf GTI. Now that thing is cool, original GTI chassis with modern motor and interior.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #21
ryanstev

I considered it killed as soon as they released the front engined, front wheel drive 'Beetle'
Old 06-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #22
chief
FTF Club Moderator

No male in his right mind will drive one and there are so many other "small cute little cars" in bright colours to interest the females that no one will miss the loss of this vehicle.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2009, 11:29 PM   #23
WarNerve
And look how happy he is!

my mate loves his 1970 something beetle...
someone did try and killit with fire on his girlfriends front lawn....
they failed the attempted torching of his beetle!!!

he thinks it was killed when they put the engine in the front of the bay though..

did i mention he is a tattooed 1960-1970 ford muscle car worshiping metal head?
also he is quite built....
i myself when ever i see him driving though!

FGX XR8 Blue
[/b][/SIZE]
WarNerve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post