Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-08-2005, 10:26 PM   #1
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up AU coloured cluster bulbs!!!

: I know this has been covered before, but I thought I would share my experience in changing the cluster bulbs to coloured one's. Go on give it a try, would have to be the easiest, most cost effective mods I've done in a while.
First to remove the cluster, I'd suggest using a piece of welding wire (coathanger would do) @ 30cm, bend 1 end at a right angle @2cm long to insert into screw holes to pull the unit out, (loop other end over to avoid eye damage). As mine is AU1 Fairmont, I decided to "paint" the bulbs with flouro orange (no it won't fade) to match the LCD. You only need to remove the "GREY" globe holders from the unit. Carefully wiggle the globes from their holders, press them into a piece of cardboard or similar to paint them (2 coats should do). Make sure to test them before you re-install the cluster & whammo, all done, @1 hrs work later, I'm quite happy with the result!!!
Due to my camera limitations, sides are showing as darker than centre, however I can assure you the overall result is sensational!!!
Let me know what you think!!!

Last edited by The Dok; 19-08-2005 at 10:39 AM.
The Dok is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2005, 02:44 PM   #2
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I've tried several times to get my cluster out just to look at the bulbs but it won't budge and I don't wanna break anything. I'll try your wires in the next few weeks and see if it helps. What kind of paint do you recommend?

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2005, 03:03 PM   #3
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
I've tried several times to get my cluster out just to look at the bulbs but it won't budge and I don't wanna break anything. I'll try your wires in the next few weeks and see if it helps. What kind of paint do you recommend?
Mine was as determined to stay in as I was for it to come out, try the 3P theory, Perserverence, Persistance, Perspiration!!! Any Enamel based spray paint should do the trick!!!
Old 19-08-2005, 03:06 PM   #4
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and make sure all screws are removed aswell
naughtyfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post