Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-07-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Brisbanes Top Ten Hoon Spots

Cars confiscated in Brisbane's ten hoon hotspots
Article from: The Courier-Mail

Hannah Davies

July 27, 2009 12:00am

MORE than 12,000 vehicles have been impounded by police under laws designed to rid the streets of hoons.

The State Government yesterday released new figures revealing the war against dangerous drivers is forging ahead.

Logan, south of Brisbane, is top of the hooning hotspots, with 1593 cars impounded in the past 6½ years. The Gold Coast follows with 1517, and Ipswich with 1141.

Police Minister Neil Roberts said the laws were sending a clear message.

Top 10 hoon hotspots
Logan
Gold Coast
Ipswich
Sunshine Coast
Oxley
Toowoomba
Townsville
Bundaberg
Redcliffe
Cairns

"Driving a car is a privilege, not a right, and if you don't want to follow the rules you risk losing the wheels from underneath you," he said. "There is nothing worse than having someone drop a wheelie outside your house in the middle of the night."

Queensland's first vehicle confiscation laws were introduced in 2002, allowing police to target anti-social driving, including street racing, time trials, and burnouts.

Since then the cars of 5011 drivers have been seized for at least 48 hours.

In July 2007, additional laws gave police the power to impound vehicles for high-level drink driving and driving unlicensed. There have been 7297 cars impounded as a result.

Drivers who are caught offending a second time lose their vehicles for three months and for a third offence the vehicles are permanently confiscated and sold at auction.

In the past 12 months, 69 serial hoons have had their cars sold.

Mr Roberts said most people who were caught for a first offence did not reoffend.

But with the state's road toll now at 204 – 25 more than the same time last year – he said it was important to continue the fight against hoons.

"Our anti-hooning laws are the toughest in Australia," he said.

The Government would not tolerate poor driver behaviour and would continue to give police the tools needed to crack down on drivers who put lives at risk, he said.

Old 27-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
"There is nothing worse than having someone drop a wheelie outside your house in the middle of the night."
I can think of plenty of worse things to have happen.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8

Top 10 hoon hotspots
Logan
Gold Coast
Ipswich
Sunshine Coast
Oxley
Toowoomba
Townsville
Bundaberg
Redcliffe
Cairns

Well geeh that narrows it down. Would have been easier just to say "All of Qld"
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone else find it amusing that only ONE of Brisbane's top 10 hoon spots is actually in Brisbane?

Journalistic integrity and credibility on display yet again....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Well geeh that narrows it down. Would have been easier just to say "All of Qld"
I was thinking the same thing. Oxley looks to be the only place on that list that is an actual suburb and the rest are cities on their own. Hardly a definitive or refined 'top 10' list.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

No hoons in Mackay then, rock on. Looks like the stupidest list in human history, how the hell do they quantify hooning- car seizures is not a good statistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
I can think of plenty of worse things to have happen.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
wagnman

I notice they missed all the real places that Hoon hang out in Brisbane. LOL!

These people have no idea at all and unfortunately they just target the HOONS like they are menace's to society.

They are spendign so much time chasing these so called "hoons" down and yet the road toll continues to rise.

Well you know what you moronic public servants? The hoons are probably the tiniest minority of road fatalities.

The road toll will always go up EVERY YEAR! It's just a matter of plain obvious maths.

The population grows every year. Every year there are more drivers getting their lisences and buying cars than there are drivers losing their lisences or stopping driving for other reasons.

More drivers means more crashes!

The fact thet the road toll is not WAY higher is a testament to how well behaved and carefull everyone is on the road.

Bloody drama merchants pick on these hoons to stir up the kind of dumb *** Aussie folk that sit at home every week night and watch A current affiar or Today Tonight.

Morons.
wagnman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #8
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a car dropping a wheelie... pretty impressive
Old 27-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Im a hoon because i live in Redcliffe : might have to do some hooning now.
Old 27-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #10
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Im a hoon because i live in Redcliffe : might have to do some hooning now.
Haha, Yeah I'm close, although I would have thought that there are more hoons in Caboolture then there are in Redcliffe?
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2009, 02:27 PM   #11
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Quite right. None of the real hoon spots are listed there.

Also a lot of those spots are known for lapping, not for actual hoon work (racing/burnouts/drifts/donuts etc)
Old 27-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #12
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnman
These people have no idea at all and unfortunately they just target the HOONS like they are menace's to society.
Quote:
Bloody drama merchants pick on these hoons to stir up the kind of dumb *** Aussie folk that sit at home every week night and watch A Current Affair or Today Tonight.

Morons.
On the money there and to further that, where do they get this assumption that a modified car is automatically a device for hoon activity?

My car was pulled over and defected while i was minding my own business on
a wednesday evening.
The next thing I see is some dipshit driving along in a stock family sedan with NO HEADLIGHTS. obviously becuase they weren't working as the rears were on.

I'm PRETTY SURE that this sort of thing puts peoples safety in jeoprody more than "too low". :
Old 27-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #13
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

and thats why the sleeper was invented.
stock ride height, stock wheels, lotsa go.
Old 27-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #14
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Ooooh. The whole of Townsville is a Hoon spot..
Old 27-07-2009, 02:45 PM   #15
zx10

And Toowoomba. Better go out the front and smoke up the rears on the ute. Or maybe I will call Dad and get him to cut some skids in his Terri.

What a joke.

AU3 XR8 sedan - Manual, Leather, Momo wheel/gear knob
zx10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2009, 03:14 PM   #16
tweeked
N/A all the way

And they end the TV item last night scratching their heads as to why this is working but the road toll has gone up????

the lawmakers are morons who cant tell the difference between a harmless donut and idiotic, dangerous street racing.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #17
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Is it top 10 hoon spots or 10 largest McDonalds outlets in QLD?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #18
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Th' 'oons in Ippy are easy to find; they're doing laps of Brisbane Road & Limestone Streets pret'near every night.

There's a 50 zone in front of the Fire Station, so the John Hops sit in the adjacent driveway with a hand held out the window.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #19
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ON_DUBS
On the money there and to further that, where do they get this assumption that a modified car is automatically a device for hoon activity?

My car was pulled over and defected while i was minding my own business on
a wednesday evening.
The next thing I see is some dipshit driving along in a stock family sedan with NO HEADLIGHTS. obviously becuase they weren't working as the rears were on.

I'm PRETTY SURE that this sort of thing puts peoples safety in jeoprody more than "too low". :
See that on a daily basis, how the hell can you not know your lights are off/not working :
Old 27-07-2009, 04:05 PM   #20
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is nothing worse then having someone drop a wheelie out side your house in the middle of the night.
When i first came down to live on the gold coast. i heard some nice sounding V8's hooking in. it used to wake me up. i thought what was that !
And went straight back to sleep
But if some drip in a s..t box did it, i thought F..k off !
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #21
big-e
In the jungle

I think they should book everyone for being a hoon.
If you have a licence then you are a "hoon".

You drove fast (once)
you changed lanes and cut someone off
You took off from the light too quick and the wheels spun (come on, even my mother did that)
You turned the light when it was orange, turning red.

Book them all I say.... ALL OF US

Better still, lets go back to horses......... wait, your horse is a hoon, it dropped a load.
---->T2 TS50 (#42) Venom<---- T2 TS50 factory manual :
big-e is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #22
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-e
Better still, lets go back to horses......... wait, your horse is a hoon, it dropped a load.
"There's nothing worse than having a horse drop a load outside your house in the middle of the night"

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2009, 04:28 PM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
See that on a daily basis, how the hell can you not know your lights are off/not working :
Accidentally just put them on parkers and are driving on extremely well lit road. Not all that difficult to do and is hard to tell they are off until you drive on a dark road.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2009, 04:57 PM   #24
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Accidentally just put them on parkers and are driving on extremely well lit road. Not all that difficult to do and is hard to tell they are off until you drive on a dark road.
Accidently put their lights on parkers instead of low beam? If they can accidently do that imagine what else they can accidently do. Still cant see that as plausible but anyway, im more refering to cars with NO lights on at all at night time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
"There's nothing worse than having a horse drop a load outside your house in the middle of the night"
Post of the year
Old 27-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #25
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote mk3
Haha, Yeah I'm close, although I would have thought that there are more hoons in Caboolture then there are in Redcliffe?

The cops in caboolture are slightly stupid. The chances of someone doing something 'hoon' related in a car with a big body kit, big wheels and other things fitted I think is low as they have spent their money to make there car nice, but the cars that are plainly un road worthy and are driven around as fast and as sideways as possible seem to be unnoticed.

eg: young guy in a busted up vl commodore spins the wheels as he turns a corner at an intersection at the same time I am turning to go in the opposite direction. A cop car instantly turns his lights on and chases me and stops me in a car park. He gets out and goes over my car and asks to see my licence. As soon as he noticed i was on my opens he says sorry your car just looks like a young hoon car and leaves.

Now in the time he took to pull me over he could have actually got the idiot doing skids instead of just assuming that because of how a car looks make the driver a hoon. Christ I would have though that 2 3yr olds on the car would have been a clue
El Venom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #26
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

guys you all make perfect sense. i don't get all of these do good bas$#rds that would have do all the same things when they were younger, how about all the pollies and cops who drink drive, speed and what ever else they get up that we don't know about and they want to steal my car for losing abit of traction no harm to anyone but my wallet and drink drivers lose licence for 3 months witch is more likely to add to the road toll wtf!!!.

on worlds most amazing moments on pay tv cop chase, cop said suspect was driving at incredibly dangerous speeds up to 120mph then next sentence said joining chase car had to do 150mph to catch up to suspect. i can understand that reasoning :
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #27
91'dSpecEB
The Magic Of O-Pan

Quote:

They are spendign so much time chasing these so called "hoons" down and yet the road toll continues to rise.

Well you know what you moronic public servants? The hoons are probably the tiniest minority of road fatalities.

The road toll will always go up EVERY YEAR! It's just a matter of plain obvious maths.

The population grows every year. Every year there are more drivers getting their lisences and buying cars than there are drivers losing their lisences or stopping driving for other reasons.

More drivers means more crashes!

The fact thet the road toll is not WAY higher is a testament to how well behaved and carefull everyone is on the road.

Bloody drama merchants pick on these hoons to stir up the kind of dumb *** Aussie folk that sit at home every week night and watch A current affiar or Today Tonight.

Morons.
Im from SA, but I couldnt agree more with you
91'dSpecEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post