Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Default QLD! Join the fight to save the Fuel Subsidy

Quote:
Fuel Subsidy Petition
The State Government is threatening to scrap Queensland’s 8.35 cents a litre fuel subsidy in the June Budget – despite specific assurances to the RACQ and the broader community ahead of the March election that the subsidy would be retained.

Combined with increases in vehicle registration of 10 to 15 percent from July 1, this extra fuel tax would cost most Queensland families several hundred dollars a year, while also pushing up the prices of other goods and services.

With GST, it will add nine cents a litre to petrol and diesel and will hit families in the outer suburbs and regional areas hardest, as people in these areas have less access to public transport and, often, longer distances to travel.

A wide range of industry groups has joined RACQ in rejecting any suggestion of scrapping the fuel subsidy. These include the Queensland Trucking Association, the Motor Trades Association of Queensland, AgForce and the Chamber of Commerce and Industry Queensland. They support RACQ’s view that making fuel more expensive through higher taxes would leave Queensland families and businesses with less money to spend on other goods and services, which would rise in price because of higher transport costs. The industry groups also fear job losses in their respective sectors.

Respondents to RACQ’s online poll at racq.com have been overwhelmingly against scrapping the fuel subsidy, mirroring a Club survey late last year when only nine percent of members opposed its retention.

While there have been criticisms that the full fuel subsidy is not always passed on to motorists, the bottom line in abandoning it would be Queenslanders paying an extra 8.35 cents a litre in fuel excise, plus an extra 0.835 cents a litre in GST.

Complete this e-petition now to send a clear message to Premier Anna Bligh that Queenslanders will not accept withdrawal of the fuel subsidy.
The link for the petition is here http://www.racq.com.au/promotions/fu...bsidy_petition

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Yeah get behind this one folks. Dont let them get away with this one.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

+ 1 here
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I actually disagree with the fuel subsidy. I read a column in the paper detailing what could have been done with the money that was spent on the fuel subsidy by the state govt over the past 10 years, and at a 'cost' of over half a billion dollars per year, we could have had another childrens hospital and many other services we lack in qld.
All for a cost of another $3 or something completely unnoticeable every fill!
And this is why i don't support the excise subsidy.
Old 26-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

I don't agree with the subsidy. May as well get rid of it.
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well it is easy fixed, just subsidise fuel outside Brisbane......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

With all of the taxes and excises that we pay, the Govt should be able to cater for the infrastructure required in Qld, without blowing money left right and centre.

I know for a fact that a certain Qld Govt department IT software project went $43mill OVER BUDGET, and they still did not go-live or complete the project. So the Govt is happy spending money willey-nilley without proper controls. So why give them more, so that they can simply blow it away.

I support the keeping of the subsidy.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

im all for keeping it, as it is our fuel in the north is rarely cheaper than down south, so if they scrap it, they will just jack the fuel up at their own leasure
Old 26-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #9
xr6turboford

I lived on the QLD/NSW boarder for 13years (1996-2008) and I can tell you that the oil company don't all ways pass the subsidy on. Some days the fuel price is the same or more than the other states. I say get rig of the subsidy and use the money for hospitals, schools etc.
So what if QLD families have to pend a couple of extra hundred dollars a year on fuel. WELCOME TO AUSTRALIA
xr6turboford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #10
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

The QLD GOVT has over the years compensated the fuel subsidy by upping our rego costs. Rego in Qld is one of the most expensive in Oz..
Old 26-05-2009, 05:18 PM   #11
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
I actually disagree with the fuel subsidy. I read a column in the paper detailing what could have been done with the money that was spent on the fuel subsidy by the state govt over the past 10 years, and at a 'cost' of over half a billion dollars per year, we could have had another childrens hospital and many other services we lack in qld.
If you let the Govt get the money it will dissolve into consultancy fees, charged to determine how to spend it..........
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #12
The Monty
Just slidin'

I support it, and signed the petition, BUT it would be good if they actually enforced it and passed the savings on to us.
In saying that the money could be used for hospitals and stuff, fair enough, but there is a lot of other things out there that suck a lot more money out of our bugdet that could be used on hospitals.
Old 26-05-2009, 06:07 PM   #13
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Beattie apprentice Bligh, has no intention of removing the fuel subsidy. It’s just a furphy she put out to take your attention away from the deplorable mismanagement of the Qld economy which is now hopelessly in debt.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 06:33 PM   #14
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6turboford
So what if QLD families have to pend a couple of extra hundred dollars a year on fuel. WELCOME TO AUSTRALIA

So what??? Not every family can afford those couple extra hundred dollars. They took the opportunity to hike the car rego last year and now they want the fuel subsidy. If we don't push back and say to the Bligh administration that this isn't a fair deal they'll keep slapping us with more fees and taxes because they think we'll just cope it on the chin.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 07:31 PM   #15
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

As long as they start to pass on the saving
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #16
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

they will never pas on the savings especially in north queensland....hell, they dont even register qld past rocky most of the time :(

god damn labour.....
Old 26-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #17
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking

I signed the petition
a number of years age Beaty said the oil companies werent
giving the rebate so he was going to drop the rego by $150
there was a scream so nothing happened
2 years my Fairmont went from $400 odd to $500 odd overnight
then last year the same car $680
and Anna hardhat says she is jacking up the rego again
and now the fuel rebate
when the cost of fuel is less than 8 cents a litre than NSW fuel
can we sue the oil companies or the government because some one
is ripping us off
just my obs
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #18
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-n...0602-btid.html

Quote:
Bligh govt scraps Qld fuel subsidy
June 2, 2009 - 10:24AM

The Queensland government will scrap the state's fuel subsidy next month.

Premier Anna Bligh announced in parliament on Tuesday that the government will end the eight cents a litre subsidy on July 1.

"We currently spend more than $500 million a year in our fuel subsidy program," Ms Bligh said.

"But Queensland taxpayers and the motoring public are not getting value for money."

© 2009 AAP
Old 02-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #19
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
It hasnt cost the government half a billion dollars (it has reduced there revenue by half a billion but they would have made that up in other areas) You will not see any benefit from the government scrapping the subsidy, the half a billion will simply vanish into the government coffers (probably end up as consultants bonuses and the community will be no better off)

Governments cannot manage money, this is just another way of governments increasing their revenue so they can spend more $$$

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 01:53 PM   #20
bingoTE50
Steve

I agree with this....Give it back and you will not see it in any other way.
I mean really , we have a recession and we decide to spend millions on fixing hospitals,police,etc all necessary,but should have been fixed regardless

Governments cannot manage money, this is just another way of governments increasing their revenue so they can spend more $$$[/QUOTE]
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #21
Wally
XP Coupe

I'm just glad Ms Premier hasn't realised there is a holiday this weekend, or she would have scrapped it in favour of increased productivity.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #22
kenz
BOSS Pilot

It wouldn't have bugged me so much if it happened at some other time. Now they say groceries will be going up aswell because of transport costs and also mix that with the rego increase next month aswell it's guna start to hurt alot of back pockets that are already struggling, when they could of just as easily upped the price on something like cigarettes.

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 07:16 PM   #23
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

And guess who will cope it now, us retailers (I work for woolies).

If you knew what my store took in cigerettes and the profit you would be amazed Luke and yes i think that a higher tax on them would be good.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #24
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
And guess who will cope it now, us retailers (I work for woolies).

If you knew what my store took in cigerettes and the profit you would be amazed Luke and yes i think that a higher tax on them would be good.
lol i agree 150% with you on this

i work for liqourland and i know the prices we pay on both grog as well as the cigies and i reakon people will be shocked big time

i work in an area that is classed as a low end of the income area but we are the 6th biggest seller in vic ie the fifth highest in sales for the week

i am a smoker and i say if the removal is that big a prob then give up the cigs
7 x $ 8.70 = $60.90 so say $61 a week thats $240 a month there is the fuel savings/price in one month

mmmmm time to give up i say

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post