Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 29-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
fiesta8u

Default spark plug problems and fuel usage

hey guys how are you all ? well somethings going on with my fiesta, my spark plugs foul every up to 500kms what the hell could be wrong ? im using bosch platnums when i change the plugs it goes hard then you can feel it and hear that the spark plugs start fouling about 200 kms later and then just becomes really bad at about 500kms why is it fouling plugs all the time ? and also my fuel usage is just stupid this week i only got 180kms out of a full tank, yes 180kms yes 180kms its not a typo, when i start the car and when its at idle it smells like fuel, the car only has 26000kms on it, ever since about 10000kms ive only been getting about 280kms to a tank, all that i have got on it is a muffler similiar to a cannon, ive taken it to ford about the fuel usage a million times but they always want to blame it on the exaust, for the spark plugs do use think its because of something in the engine or are they crap plugs if you think its coz of the plugs what plugs do you recommend ? and i know that foul plugs can use more fuel but even when i put new plugs i get pretty much the same, what could be the fuel usage reason ? air filter is a little dirty as well but that wouldnt do much, thanks.

fiesta8u is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Well i think there is something seriously wrong there. I would be putting the car back to stock immediatley (Air Filter + Exhaust) and leaving it with ford to fix the problem. I suggest a full engine rebuild would solve the problem.It seems you are getting palmed off. But why have you been driving 16000kms and the problem still exists and is obviously getting worse? What is your description of the spark plugs fouling?? Maybe try NGK Platinum Plugs??
Old 29-05-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Definately sounds like its overfueling badly.
Could be a number of reasons, faulty MAP sensor, faulty fuel reg etc.
If your dealer isn't helping you with it ring Ford Customer Relations and jump up and down til its attended to properly.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
fiesta8u

to be honest mista i havnt had the time, when i get a free saturday or sunday i change the plugs and thats about all, what i dont get is that its not a full exaust ffs its only a tip, ive tried resetting the computer serveral times take the terminals off the battery for about 5 mins then ill take it for a smooth drive and its the same, then id reset it again and thrash it and same thing, ive got nothing on the induction, used to have a pod filter but it started using way to much fuel and i got defected so i went back to stock, where can i get the ngk platnums from ? the only place i can find spark plugs are repco and they only have the bosch platnums or ford stock ones but i dont like the stock ones, have you got the number for the customer relations ? i havnt tried ford in a while i had given up but its just gotten alot worse, ive booked my car in for wednesday for the power window switch and a few other little things and ill get them to have a look at it again, my mate works at city ford rockdale service and he said he cant even do anything about it, they told me that there is nothing wrong and that it is probably using more fuel because of the exhaust hmm yeah right, ok if you go full exhaust it might use a little more but not this much, thanks.
Old 29-05-2009, 10:37 PM   #5
fiesta8u

ohh and also forgot to mention ive done the 15000km service and my oil is already really black and abit thicker, and ive also noticed a slight knocking in the engine and a belt kind of wind coming on start up, ive been told by ford to change the oil and filter and give that a go for the knocking, im going to change the oil and filter tomorrow, do you think i should change the plugs before i take it to ford or leave the fouled ones there ? spark plugs fouling, well more excessive fuel usage, rough ide like the idle drops and goes back up then drops and back up and drops then back up, thanks.
Old 29-05-2009, 10:46 PM   #6
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Leave the plugs in. Contact Ford before you take it in and get a case opened on it. Then if the dealer tells you its ok, get back on the phone. It seems to be the only way most people can get a satisfactory warranty result from Ford dealers these days. The number is 13FORD I think.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 10:54 PM   #7
Kariharnett
Lil Henry

Sounds Extremly Dodgie mine is starting to make a real loud rattle noise in the engine latley too, it only has 30 thousand on it, and was serived 2 weeks ago. very annoying.
Kariharnett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 11:12 PM   #8
fiesta8u

should i change the oil still or leave that as well ? so ill call ford relations on monday let them know that im taking it in on wednesday and open a case, and if they dont do anything about it contact them again right ? should i tell them that the spark plugs are fouling every 500kms and that i have to change them ? or wink wink i take it to a mechanic and get them changed ? let me know, and karihnarnett mine sounds like a knocking similar to bottom end bearings or something, cant wait till i get my blacks and i get a v8 ve signature senator lol or untill my rotary gets on the road lol, thanks.
Old 30-05-2009, 01:18 AM   #9
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

I can't get my spark plugs out, very much stuck any suggestions?

Also where can we get the NGK's and what midel are they?

Cheers
K&N, F6 Snorkel, Debung, 20" Enix Turbine in Gunmetal, 7 seat rear springs.
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2009, 08:52 AM   #10
Ben85

Hey fiesta8u, i use the Denso Iridium plugs and i got them from peter warren ford spare parts, but i think they got them through the Toyota dealership. Part number ITV16. If the dealership ur taking it too keeps blaming the exhaust they arew having a lend of you because im pretty confident that all car manufacturers let you change from the cats back while still under manufacturers warranty. Give ford a call, if you have no joy with them, call fair trading. I wouldnt mention that you are changing the plugs yourself, etc. Because that will void your warranty.

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Ben85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 12:53 AM   #11
fiesta8u

hey ben thanks heaps for that, well im going to call ford customer relations on monday and let them know whats happening and get a case opened the car is booked in for wednesday so we will see how it goes ill let use knows how it goes, thanks.