Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Anyone done Dip Law through Legal Admissions Board (NSW)?

Wondering if any of you have completed/attempting or failed _ the Diploma in Law through the Legal Admissions Board.

I'm considering starting. However, although possibly smart enough (debatable), but I would say I am average intelligence, I've never been a great 'student' (when in high school) and am concerned about the workload or just not understanding whats being taught. Maybe now I'm older (33) it might not be as bad as I'm thinking, although I don't expect it to be easy of course.

Anyone at all?

Old 20-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

my old man dropped out of highschool at yr10 and did a diploma of law at about the same age (33 or so). he's now, at 52 doing a degree in another field. no it's not too late, provided you've got your head screwed on.
Old 20-05-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
dannyxm
was danny888

Ive done both my law degree but through uni and Graduade Diploma in legal Practice at the College of Law.

Mate there was heaps of more mature aged students whilst i was studying. Most of which were over 33, very cluey and had real world skills - in comparison to straight out of high school students who think they were lawyers already.

Im was not the smartest bloke in school, but i got through - (graduated with distinction actually, or suprisingly!)

All the advice i can give you is work smart, not hard.

I can honestly tell you, its not too hard.
dannyxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was wondering how much age and life experience helps, and that 18yr old school leavers can do it, so surely to god it can't be impossible. However I also expect the 18yr old school leavers would be the ultra talented students.

In addition I have a client I've been dealing with for years who is a solicitor (I'm in IT) and I honestly think he isn't naturally bright at all. I sometimes wonder how on earth he got admitted. :
Old 20-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing sought, nothing gained mate. I can tell you that there is the possibility of not understanding what's being taught, but that could be because some teachers are hopeless and do not care.

If you're willing to put in the work, that won't matter anyway. Although it is not law, I had some lady in my class that would have been late 60s early 70s learning how to program computers and also had a lot of mature students in my classes with the spouses and kids.

Give it a shot, I don't think your age will be any barrier if you have the work ethic.

Last edited by MITCHAY; 20-05-2009 at 10:30 PM.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post