Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

View Poll Results: What should Dave do???
Stay with stock shocks 0 0%
$560 for Koni Red fronts / Koni Yellow rears 4 9.09%
$700 for Koni Yellows fronts and rears 36 81.82%
Get aftermarket shocks but Koni's are overkill! 4 9.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 
Default Koni's on my AU - which ones though??

OK so went down to this suspension place that I've been trading emails with for a while now - regarding getting some Koni's on my Futura....

Long story short, I got two quotes out of it...

$560 for Koni Reds front / Koni Yellows rear
(they don't have any rear reds in stock at the moment)

$700 for Koni Yellows all round

Both quotes are for cash (not an issue) - also been quoted $280 for fitting shocks & springs (I'm going to get those Eibach Pro-Kit ones direct from manufacturer for $265 delivered - have been told by the suspension guy that this is cheaper than cost price for retailers!!)

Should I spend the extra $140 for yellows all around, or should I just stick with the reds in the front?

Is it worth it, considering the car is a daily driver, will most likely never see the track, only a bit of spirited driving here and there....on the flip side, it's only $140, and they're Koni Yellows!!!

He said that in terms of lifespan, both will last around the 150,000km+ mark before needing to be rebuilt - both reds and yellows are fully rebuildable.

They come with a lifetime warranty for me as long as I have the car - if the car is sold, the warranty is not transferred.

The reds (and yellows in the rear) need to be removed from the vehicle to be adjusted for firmness; the front yellows can be adjusted by simply lifting the bonnet and rotating the knob on the top of the shock.

Your thoughts???

Old 18-05-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Geez, not much of a decision, $140 more and Koni yellows. Pretty easy choice.

BTW, pass on the mob you're getting them from, as that is a very good price.
Last quote I got was over $600 for front alone.
Old 18-05-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
THR347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
BTW, pass on the mob you're getting them from, as that is a very good price.
Last quote I got was over $600 for front alone.
I was thinking the exact same thing Sox! Care to share who the retailer is? I'm sure a few of us would be glad to give them some business at those prices!
Old 18-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
THR347

I forgot to ask, is this for IRS? Your other option could be a tickford set up if you're not looking to spend a heap or if you don't want back-breaking stiffness, oh and also if you're not interested in lowering the ride height too much. Just a suggestion.
Old 18-05-2009, 08:18 PM   #5
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you cant get Yellow rears for IRS AFAIK
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2009, 08:19 PM   #6
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Non-IRS (AU series 3 Futura)

Even though it would be $700, the Koni's appeal because I'd be getting them at around half the usual price, plus they have the lifetime warranty, plus they're fully rebuildable, plus they're supposed to be better than pretty much everything except Bilsteins.......
Old 18-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeyou
I forgot to ask, is this for IRS? Your other option could be a tickford set up if you're not looking to spend a heap or if you don't want back-breaking stiffness, oh and also if you're not interested in lowering the ride height too much. Just a suggestion.
The Konis will ride better than the Tickford setup.
Good shocks ride well AND handle well.
Old 18-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #8
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

I can't actually see any choice!! Yellows for sure!

At that price, care to pass on the retailer's details as I'm sure there's plenty, myself included that would get some at that price.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #9
THR347

Fair enough guys. I personally really like the ride quality of the tickford setup but i'd love to lower my AU - looks way better! Sorry for hijacking the thread, but does Koni make reds for IRS? Not willing to share the provider Dave?
Old 18-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #10
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

Go the Yellows. I got mine for $720 for the full set. My car is also a daily driver but sits 15mm lower than a std XR. Transformed the ride. Hard to explain why, but it just rides over bumps and small dips without the harshness that it used to have. I have mine set on the softest setting but through the corners it stands up nice and straight and grips better than before. And if you hit a bump mid corner, it just sticks. Very happy with the result. Just keep in mind that they don't have the brake line retainers on the side like the standard ones do.

-craig
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2009, 08:35 PM   #11
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeyou
Fair enough guys. I personally really like the ride quality of the tickford setup but i'd love to lower my AU - looks way better! Sorry for hijacking the thread, but does Koni make reds for IRS? Not willing to share the provider Dave?
Yes, Koni do make the Reds for IRS Rears, factory fitted to the T2 TS50 IIRC
Forced Performance Tuned
Old 18-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #12
Cam
Stroking it...

For the extra dosh, do it! Go Yellows!

If I didn't go Bilsteins I would've gone yellows for sure
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #13
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO AU XR8
you cant get Yellow rears for IRS AFAIK
They do, I have a set fitted to my car at the moment (AUII Ghia w/ IRS). I'd also love to know where you're getting the Koni Yellows brand new for $700 all up, I paid $1250 and I was screwing the distributor pretty hard to start off with.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #14
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Hehe - well I won't be telling until I pick them up on Wednesday, otherwise you blokes will all get in there and there'll be nothing left for me!!!

I'll see if he wants to do some sort of group buy discount, maybe he can give an even better price, though saying that, $700 is pretty damn reasonable!!!

Is there anybody who has had both the reds and the yellows? Is there any discernable difference between the two - or is it just the fact the yellows can be adjusted without having to remove them???
Old 18-05-2009, 08:58 PM   #15
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakrz
Just keep in mind that they don't have the brake line retainers on the side like the standard ones do.
I've been told by members on here that a cable tie to hold the brake line to the shock is sufficient - this was confirmed by the suspension bloke - said it's perfectly fine.
Old 18-05-2009, 09:06 PM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

another vote for yellows!
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #17
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride
They do, I have a set fitted to my car at the moment (AUII Ghia w/ IRS). I'd also love to know where you're getting the Koni Yellows brand new for $700 all up, I paid $1250 and I was screwing the distributor pretty hard to start off with.
How long ago did you get these? as from what i have been told by a distributor, they are NLA
Forced Performance Tuned
Old 18-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #18
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

group buy would be great, best prices i could find were reds $650, and yellows $900 for IRS btw.
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2009, 09:38 PM   #19
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride
......I'd also love to know where you're getting the Koni Yellows brand new for $700 all up, I paid $1250 and I was screwing the distributor pretty hard to start off with.
The price that I paid was a bit of a contra deal. I did an engine rebuild for a guy who is in the spare parts game.
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2009, 10:23 PM   #20
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO AU XR8
How long ago did you get these? as from what i have been told by a distributor, they are NLA
Was around 2 months ago, towards the end of May. When I rang up a few places I was told only reds for IRS rear but the distributor I spoke to last said he had no trouble in getting them.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 12:25 AM   #21
THR347

A group buy for yellows or even reds would be awesome, I'd snap up a set in a blink of an eye at those prices. Let us know how you go after Wednesday Dave, if it is possible we should propose this in the group buy section
Old 19-05-2009, 01:23 AM   #22
BlacklistedXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will also be interested in a group buy for koni yellows. That is a very good price and im sure a few people would be interested in getting in on it. Maybe we can get prices for IRS and Non-IRS if there is a group buy.
BTW i would spend the extra money on getting the koni yellows. You dont want to think to yourself later on that you should have gone for the yellows. Both are still a very high quality shock.

AU3 Fairmont I6
Whiteline swaybars, FPV Typhoon Rims, Superlows, Custom Intake Piping, Modified BA XR8 Airbox, Big Stereo

Past:
2001 AU2 XR8 220 Manual
1/4 Mile: 13.8 @ 100MPH (161km/h)

Ford Falcon AU2 V8 Auto
1/4 Mile: 13.0 @ 107MPH (172km/h)
BlacklistedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 07:38 AM   #23
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go the yellows.
No question there really.
As for IRS you can only get red.
The price you have been given is fantastic mate.
If a group buy is arranged I want in please.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 07:50 AM   #24
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
Hehe - well I won't be telling until I pick them up on Wednesday, otherwise you blokes will all get in there and there'll be nothing left for me!!!

I'll see if he wants to do some sort of group buy discount, maybe he can give an even better price, though saying that, $700 is pretty damn reasonable!!!

Is there anybody who has had both the reds and the yellows? Is there any discernable difference between the two - or is it just the fact the yellows can be adjusted without having to remove them???
I'd be in on a group buy too, spill the beans after Wedensday.

I've used both reds and yellows. I could live with reds, easy enough.

The main difference is the yellows have superior small bump damping. They ride better over small bumps, with the reds being a little more harsh, closer to the standard Tickford shocks.
Both have incredible control over large undulations.

I've also used Bilsteins, which are very close to the yellows. Very difficult to pick any difference between them. I wouldn't say one is better than the other.
Old 19-05-2009, 08:55 AM   #25
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh and I should also add that if ya going to the trouble of
putting Koni's in get a bigger front sway bar at the same time hey.\
It is well worth the money for the extra stability it gives the front end.
Old 19-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #26
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GHIA
Oh and I should also add that if ya going to the trouble of
putting Koni's in get a bigger front sway bar at the same time hey.\
It is well worth the money for the extra stability it gives the front end.
Yeah have thought about that, one step at a time though, the finances will only go so far at the moment!!!

I know that Whiteline seems to be the way to go with sway bars - 27mm IIRC is the size I should be looking at? Is this right? What is standard OE size? Are there any other manufacturers out there worth condsidering?
Old 19-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #27
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Yeah have thought about that, one step at a time though, the finances will only go so far at the moment!!!

I know that Whiteline seems to be the way to go with sway bars - 27mm IIRC is the size I should be looking at? Is this right? What is standard OE size? Are there any other manufacturers out there worth condsidering?
Sway bars are sway bars are sway bars.
They are all much the same except of course for the adjustable ones, which are largely a waste of money for road use anyway.

If the car will see a lot of track use, then an adjustable is a good idea so you can dial in understeer/oversteer etc, depending on the type of track and the characteristics you want.

For road use, there are much simpler ways to fine tune over/understeer.

All that said, you may not need anything more than the shocks/springs, as that is what makes the greatest improvement for road use.

Sway bars remove a little body roll, nothing more.

Shock/springs already improve this anyhow, by way of lowering the center of gravity, and much better body control because of better damping.

Sway bars only make a difference if you're pushing a car hard.
Shocks/springs make a difference all the time.

It all depends on what you want to do with the car.

EDIT : Yes, a 27mm bar is plenty for road use. 30mm for track use. 24mm is standard.

Last edited by Sox; 19-05-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Sox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 11:04 AM   #28
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:

Dave - Whiteline FTMFW my friend. Its a choice for balance unless you are wantng to throw the car into corners then 30mm is the next option. Other sways to think about are Kmac or pedders.

But the consensus here is to do for the Koni Yellows at that price. You cant go wrong. No point mixing and matching considering your getting the Eibach's at less than cost price. Use the money you saved there to pay for the full set of Yellows. You'll love it.

You give us a full write of how the car feels and handles once they are all fitted, plus a write of the place you bought your gear from.

How low are you going by the way? If its 40mm lowered or there abouts, you might want to consider some castor/camber kits for when you do an alignment. For me personally, Im running about 1-1.5 deg negative camber on the front of my car. Its a personal choice, and it gives me better cornering and tighter steering. PLus there is no extra wear on the tires that Im noticing immediately. But thats just me.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 12:36 PM   #29
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Sway bars are sway bars are sway bars.
They are all much the same except of course for the adjustable ones, which are largely a waste of money for road use anyway.

If the car will see a lot of track use, then an adjustable is a good idea so you can dial in understeer/oversteer etc, depending on the type of track and the characteristics you want.

For road use, there are much simpler ways to fine tune over/understeer.

All that said, you may not need anything more than the shocks/springs, as that is what makes the greatest improvement for road use.

Sway bars remove a little body roll, nothing more.

Shock/springs already improve this anyhow, by way of lowering the center of gravity, and much better body control because of better damping.

Sway bars only make a difference if you're pushing a car hard.
Shocks/springs make a difference all the time.

It all depends on what you want to do with the car.

EDIT : Yes, a 27mm bar is plenty for road use. 30mm for track use. 24mm is standard.
Thanks for that info Sox!

Well the car is a daily drive, a bit of fun here and there, but nothing crazy-like. More than likely will never see a track or be used for that purpose. So going by that, an upgraded sway bar may be a bit of a pointless exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
You give us a full write of how the car feels and handles once they are all fitted, plus a write of the place you bought your gear from.
Yes sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
How low are you going by the way? If its 40mm lowered or there abouts, you might want to consider some castor/camber kits for when you do an alignment. For me personally, Im running about 1-1.5 deg negative camber on the front of my car. Its a personal choice, and it gives me better cornering and tighter steering. PLus there is no extra wear on the tires that Im noticing immediately. But thats just me.
I'm going as low as what you are I guess mate - they will be the same springs as what you have in your car.

How low is yours sitting - has it dropped any more now that the springs have settled in a bit???

Would I need to get the guards rolled???

Last edited by Dave_Obsession; 19-05-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Dave_Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #30
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a 30mm Whiteline in the ghia. But I drove it like a demon. :
But as Sox has already said 27mm is plenty big enough for a road car.