Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #31
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
this type of thing really gives me the _ _ _ _ I cant stand a show thats hits the enterants $20.00 and charges the punters a gold coin last tiem Ihad a car to show and this happend I parked it out side and paid the $2.00 to look arround as said above no cars no show. Ive heard this justified by the cost of trophys and goody bags ETC, frankly I dotn car the goody bag is usualy full of stuff I wouldnt pay for or samples and trophys well the punters should be covering this, I'm not saying it should be free but some shows have the wrong idea
Dont forget though ..... in most instances the trophys are sponsered so therefore not paid by the organisers. The staff are voluntary because they are from the club involved, food vans are supplied free by the sellers, the site is usually supplied free of charge with either a small amount of money for booking fees. Insurance cover is usually taken out by the club once a year to cover all shows, displays etc .........

Yep there is cost to run run these but its not usually that extreme.

Makes the AFF Drag Nationals in May an absolute bargain!!!!! Full day racing at Heathcote for the price of an admission fee to a static show!!!!!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #32
XR Van
2nd base mobile

hey thanks for all your replies guys. i am glad that there are people that feel the same way about this as i do.

i failed to see anywhere about sundays event that it was being run for charity, i believe that a lot of time this is just a cop out. the only ones i have been to that are generally a charity event are your gold coin donation lions club shows.

i may have to get out to knox as it sounds like it could be right up my alley and have some like minded people there instead of these trophy hunters with too much money.

i just dont know how we expect to see all the new cars out there when people spend all there money on building the cars and then cant afford to take them around for the public to admire.

56 oldsmobile super 88 hardtop

36 ford pickup
XR Van is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 05:46 PM   #33
HLC
Audi S3

at the FTF show, 'Fords in the park' held recently, when we were making turns manning the gate, the entry for general public was an optional donation to the childrens hospital.

the club took none of the money. sure, some people were "pfft its a public park, im not paying to get in" but others were more than happy to fork over 5 or 10 bucks or more for charity.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #34
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
do you have a link to the web site?
http://www.aomc.asn.au/USAshow09.htm
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 10:05 PM   #35
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Actually if its for charity [I'll change my name] I want a receipt so I can lodge as a tax rebate.. I'm sure some skimming is going on or they wouldn't be doing it!!
In some cases raising money for charity is some spin to charge.
Sometimes cars pay and people get in free..Or gold coin as said..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 11:07 PM   #36
buickman
buickman

What I did notice at this year’s American motoring show was the amount of traders I estimated over 50 and I would gather they would pay $100 plus per site.

I’m not sure on what a fair price of entry they should charge but $15 per person is fairly high for this type of event. The insurance premiums would be the organisers biggest cost most likely even more than the hiring of the venue...
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #37
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I cant believe how much you guys are paying to enter shows over there!!, down here in tas most shows its free for the driver and the car, and anyone else is just $5!!, some shows are only gold coin to view!
Old 07-04-2009, 09:53 PM   #38
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe if owners boycott car shows that charge excessive entry fees then they may get the hint, i doubt it though.
This is the reason i will not attend a cruise night in my area, $5 for 2 of us whereas the public pay $2 a head. I realise that it is only an extra $1 but it is the principle involved.
I have no idea where the money goes, but at least at the Knox cruise night the public are kept informed of where the money is given as well as the amount raised.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #39
xr8 utey
FORD DRIVERS WANTED!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
That's like the recent V8 Supercar test day at QR - read on the V8 website that it was only a gold coin donation to get in, but the lady at the gate tried to tell me it was ten bucks. I told her I was giving her a gold coin, take it or leave it. She took it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
If that's true, and it was a deliberate attempt to catch out people who didnt know about the gold coin entry then its an absolute disgrace...... and id take that further with VESA and the media.
the lady at the gate was right in asking for the ten bucks(QLD) as it was stated in a media release(sorry cannot find this media release) that entry was being raised from the gold coin entry to ten bucks to benefit(in qld's case the flood victims and victoria's the bushfire appeal).i don't think the gate lady or the track management was trying to rip anybody off as i for one was aware of the $10 entry/donation and had my money ready to hand over.
possibly the QLD gate lady didn't explain why the entry was $10?
i think it was more of a misunderstanding/lack of information than an attempt to rip anybody off.
monies raised at the QLD test day totalled approx $18000
a media release i did manage to find below.

V8SA give $100,000 to Bushfire Appeal

Release date: 10/02/2009

Related Videos
Related Photos

V8 Supercars Australia has joined the country's elite sporting codes with a $100,000 cash donation to the Victorian Bushfire Appeal as well as urging its millions of fans to add to the tally.

Chairman Tony Cochrane today announced that the Board have committed to the appeal through the cash donation and also offered any additional support it can provide.

“These are already hard times for everybody but for the people who have lost family, friends and possessions it is absolutely devastating,” Mr Cochrane said.

“We have more than 1600 people who work fulltime in our sport and more than half of these are based in Victoria. There are numerous people affected by this in our sport in one way or another.”

“As a sport we are doing what we can with this donation and the other initiatives announced today. We urge our fan base throughout Australia to contribute to this extremely worthwhile cause.”

V8 Supercars Australia CEO Cameron Levick said that all proceeds from an annual test day at Winton Motor Raceway on March 9 would also be donated to the relief fund. Similarly Queensland Raceway, which has a test day on March 11, will donate all gate takings to the North Queensland Flood Appeal.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #40
500SEC

My brother and I paid $50 each to enter the Summernats last January. Give that it's an observational event and given that the cars on display are owner driven and funded, we thought the entry fee was a little outrageous. Never again.

I also had plans to attend Bathurst last October, but changed my mind because the entry fee was $75. Instead I attended the February 12 hour race, which was a little more pallatable at $25 and freedom to roam into the pits.

I'm also not swayed when venues employ the charity angle... I'll contribute to charities as I see fit, not when I'm forced into it to participate in an unrelated activity.
500SEC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 11:12 PM   #41
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
I cant believe how much you guys are paying to enter shows over there!!, down here in tas most shows its free for the driver and the car, and anyone else is just $5!!, some shows are only gold coin to view!
i guess there wouldn't be any money made if there was a family pass :

i use to be an apex member,gold coin was heaps as the our money was made from food and bar ,though at the end it was getting very dear to have fireworks with insurance and such .still a fiver should go close to cover costs and get the rest from the above ,numbers was all that made or broke us .
Old 07-04-2009, 11:26 PM   #42
jaimex2
Starter Motor

Just sneak people in your boot imo.
jaimex2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 11:36 PM   #43
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats stupid, that means that the four of you could have gotten a second car and got in for $30 instead of $45... wtf?
Antwon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2009, 07:06 PM   #44
XR Van
2nd base mobile

hahah the gal could hold about 8 people in the boot, wouldn't that make em bleed to be missing out on that admission.

i am boycotting alot of these events from now on, we have often been offended, abused and insulted at many events over the past two years and all because we take our cars to these shows so other people can "enjoy" something they dont see every day. its kinda sad because we love going to them and love meeting everyone else that attends.

cheers dell

36 ford pickup
Old 08-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #45
XR Van
2nd base mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwon
Thats stupid, that means that the four of you could have gotten a second car and got in for $30 instead of $45... wtf?
absolutley spot on mate
one of the guys that was in our car owns a 69 amc javelin but didn't take it as he thought it may be cheaper to just all go in the one car, how wrong we were.

36 ford pickup