Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Shuddering issue and overheating

Hello all,

I've had a few problems with my 2002 AU3 I6 wagon lately..

3 times in the last couple of months I've been driving along and the car has started to shudder like it is being starved of fuel. I've looked down to notice the temp gauage at 3/4 the way to the red zone. I've stopped the car each time, checked under the bonnet and noticed nothing amiss.. well, I think one radiator fan it not working come to think of it.
As soon as I have turned on the cars cabin heater the temp guage drops at a very visible rate taking only seconds to return to normal. After that I have been able to turn the heater back off and then drive like normal. It's weeks between each time.

I've also had issues with the idle being eratic (worse on LPG) and then I'm going slow she often shudders and shakes (idle drops and again, worse on lpg) and it's even more pronounced if I'm turning and/or running the airconditioning.

Any thoughts or suggestions greatfully appreciated.

Matt.

PS: LPG was serviced less than a month ago, oil was changed at the same time, plugs could be getting old, leads are 15 months or so old, O2 sensor is of an unknown age, throttle body and ICS were last cleaned around a year ago and the air filter is a month old.

Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Sounds like a over heating issue. dont the I6 have the over heating protection ? if so I would give the thermostat the flick and try another one

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if the coolant level was down.... or too hot(turning to steam)the gas mixer might be freezing up, but probably more likely what Whoosha has said...... over heat protection, one fan not working..... perhaps the other is intermittent, i would be getting them checked out post haste, plugs are cheap, throw a set in as well see how it goes, the thermostat sounds like a good idea too.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers lads... How would I test the fans? Just throw in a new set from the wreckers and see what happens? :P

I'll do the plugs and thermostat at any rate.. I assume changing the thermostat isn't hard.

Matt.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

thermo is easy as, if you want, come round to my place with a new thremostat amd coolant, and we'll do a coolant flush and thermostat change. and ill have a look see to make sure everything else is ok for you matt. PM me if your interested

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 02:52 AM   #6
EvilChief
Boost Addict

idling rough: tighten intake manifold bolts
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post