Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
AU3 XR8 120 53.57%
BA XT 5.4L 104 46.43%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2006, 12:45 AM   #61
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've just changed my mind. AUIII XR8 manual for me! If the other option was a fairmont ghia V8 it would be a tough choice.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2006, 03:43 PM   #62
Kryton

turns out i bought neither.
ended up with a 03 BA Fairmont for 13k
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2006, 10:31 AM   #63
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Driven a 5 speed in both. I'd take the XT because it's a newer car, the engine and the interior plus what you can do to wake it up. The AU sounds good, handles good but looks crook inside and out. Depends on whether you want to leave your car standard or not and the cost of insurance. The BA is the goer here for insurance. Taken a 5.4L around Mt Panorama for a blast and it went OK and sounded good for a factory job.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:09 PM   #64
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hated the looks of the AU, so never bought one, but I would pick the XR8 here because I think that the last of a series of cars is always better than the first of the next series. It seems to take manufacturers a few years to really get a car right. The series 2 EL xr8 was heaps better than the first AU versions - quicker, used less fuel, more reliable, etc.

The old windsor is really a fantastic motor, especially in stroked form. Never underestimate how good a motor they have. It will last for many years and be trouble free in most cases.

The interior of the AU sucked - it felt like sitting in an egg, but that just comes down to taste. The same can be said for the exterior, but the final AUs really were the best looking.

The final point would be the handling. The au had fantastic steering feel, fantastic rear end grip, and lighter weight, so in my books would rate above the BA, even if the BA had a suspension rework.
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2006, 03:32 PM   #65
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the road is not a race track so handling wont make that much of the difference. they both handle well. the xt will have more power and with a flash tune and exaust it would leave the au for dead.plus the xr8 is ugly and the xt is plain but can be made to look good.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:44 PM   #66
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
good choice. better then the other too.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:50 PM   #67
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Boy
the road is not a race track so handling wont make that much of the difference. they both handle well. the xt will have more power and with a flash tune and exaust it would leave the au for dead.plus the xr8 is ugly and the xt is plain but can be made to look good.
For some reason I think not, better handling can ans is enjoyed on public roads, ever driven along a nice bit of the twisty stuff? and the BA with it's 220kw engine would not leave the lighter AU with its 220kw engine for dead.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2006, 09:51 AM   #68
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Boy
I live on the route Targa Tasmania is run on, so handling DOES make a difference. I you happen to live in traffic light forests and are happy to do all of your driving in them, drive a magna!
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2006, 10:00 PM   #69
RS027
Perth XR5'er

This is so easy to answer.

The rear suspension on the AU's (IRS) is far better than the B Series. Yes the blade rear end is great, but the AU IRS is a work of ART. It was dropped by Ford due to cost... I've seen the AU's sprint out of corners all day better than any other aussie made car an Autokhana's. Great power down!!!
The AU is lighter and the 220kw Windsor is a ripper. I can't believe people on here think the 3V 5.4L is better or faster?????? I'd rather drive an AUIII/II 220kw XR8 over any 3V or even an XR8 BA/BF anyday. They are just a faster point to point car... FACT. I have a mate who sold his AUIII XR8 for a BA XR8 and has regreted it ever since. Yes the BA is a good car, it's just on the track the AU3 was faster and felt better.
Ford Rallye Sport Club of WA; Member#64:

Barbagallo Short: 1:01.1779
Barbagallo Long: 1:12.4649
Collie: 55.90

K&N Gen2 57i CAI / 2XS RIP / Airtec Gen3 IC / Mongoose Dump Pipe / Outlaw 200cpsi Cat / Milltek Ultimate Race Catback / Whiteline 24mm RARB / Whiteline FALK / BC Racing BR-Spec Coilovers / RSR Rear Camber Arms / Ferodo DS2500 Pads F&R / Goodridge Braided Brake Lines / Elevate Torque Mount / DS MOD C / MkII RS Clutch & DMF / Quaife LSD
RS027 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2006, 10:12 AM   #70
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
A six?
Old 22-03-2009, 09:05 PM   #71
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU - Astonishingly Underestimated
Old 22-03-2009, 09:19 PM   #72
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got confused at the start of the thread. Then realized this is from 3 years ago. That's a fairly decent thread mine :
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 09:35 PM   #73
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
AUIIIXR8 is my choice.

GK
Was my choice in 2006, and would still be my choice today!

Excellent thread mine! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #74
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I've seen, and been in one, 3V V8 manual BA. it was rare as hens teeth and went like the clappers. quad exhaust kit with extractors and one muffler, and a flash tune. slammed on black stockies. it looked, sounded, WAS a monster. the fellow who owned it loved it. said it was dirty, unforgiving and prone to scaring small toyotas. he took me for a drive. it went marginally faster than the AUII XR8 my uncle used to own, and that was manual too. but his had alot more mods including GT40p heads and porting etc. basically, i'd have the AU for looks and the BA for primevil go. it needs only a free-er flowing zorst and a tune guys, and its alot more car for your money! the one i was in was fitted with premium sound and he had sourced a set of GTP leather seats for it from somewhere. so it was quite nice. conclusion...if you could morph the BA's driveline into the AU, give it the gutsy rear end i love lowered and despoilered off the BA, and the ICC and seats from an XR BA, you'd have yourself one helluva hybrid that i'd own. hehehe
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2009, 11:26 PM   #75
mongoloid
chuck miller ford texas

war by proxy anyone? (T3 v BA GT).
1918 Buick, 1930 Studebaker, 1953 Ford Crestline, 1955 Buick Special, 1957 Cadillac, 1962 Cadillac, 1963 Ford Galaxie, 1966 Ford Fairlane, 1971 Chevelle, 1979 Trans Am, 2002 Ford TE50, 2005 CV8 Monaro, 2010 G6e Turbo, 2014 FPV GT-F
mongoloid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #76
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
: _

That's all I have to say.

I've given up on these arguments a long time ago. Its fruitless trying to prove to people who don't understand that newer doesn't mean more potential, nor does having more power from the factory.

40+ years of existence + being the most popular Ford aftermarket engine in the world + having an entire professional racing series revolve around one single engine > anything you can think of.
Someones digging up old threads.....

Lots of guys on here defending the windsor as a powerful engine with mods, and I agree a big budget windsor would be an awsome motor. In fact I am looking at buying a windsor powered car as a weekend toy. But have any of you guys who are saying the 3V is crap actually driven 1?

For the record after owning my V8 BA for a while I can say that the AU would be a better drive in the twisties due to it's lighter weight. The 3V really is a torque monster though!! Now if only the 3V came in a lighter, smaller body all would be right in the world.

I'm sure the aftermarket for the modular engines will grow now that they have been used in the states for a while. But 40 years of windsors will have obviously developed a nice aftermarket.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post