Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 08-03-2009, 04:00 AM   #1
bdesigns
Joy Ride

Default Suspension on Zetec

mmm.. i think the more i drive now, the more i notice how crappy the suspension is on the new Fiesta. I know they put stock suspension but yeah, im really feeling it esp on the Monash freeway with all the roadworks. Sometimes it almost feels as though i broke sumthing lol..

Anyone else having this thought as well?

I think this might be the only real thing im not happy about.. :S

bdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
Zetec Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdesigns
mmm.. i think the more i drive now, the more i notice how crappy the suspension is on the new Fiesta. I know they put stock suspension but yeah, im really feeling it esp on the Monash freeway with all the roadworks. Sometimes it almost feels as though i broke sumthing lol..

Hey mate, If you're thinking of upgrading the suspension, I'm a distributor for high performance componenets and can supply you a set from Bilstein (world's best suspension systems) at a very competitive price
Bilstein are great alternatives to factory parts as they are partnered with big names (e.g. AMG, Bugatti, BMW, Mercedes etc) and have been voted the best brand for suspension components in the world.

I'm definately replacing the suspension units on mine when I get it. Going to be doing the same on my VW Polo Gti very soon.
Zetec Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
bdesigns
Joy Ride

wooooooooooooo... sounds tempting... maybe PM me the price you can give me and ill think about it hehehe...
Old 08-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #4
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:

Nope, very happy with the suspenson on ours. Quite impressed in fact and I've done a bit bit before with aftermarket suspension on previous vehicles.

Check the suspension spacers have been removed and check tyre pressures (Ford had ours overinflated).

The Ford Euro team generally are highly regarded for their suspension work
Candyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
pitpal
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetec Dave
Hey mate, If you're thinking of upgrading the suspension, I'm a distributor for high performance componenets and can supply you a set from Bilstein (world's best suspension systems) at a very competitive price
Bilstein are great alternatives to factory parts as they are partnered with big names (e.g. AMG, Bugatti, BMW, Mercedes etc) and have been voted the best brand for suspension components in the world.

I'm definately replacing the suspension units on mine when I get it. Going to be doing the same on my VW Polo Gti very soon.
Definetly keep you in mind as were were already discussing this as a future mod

FOR SALE oil catch cans and cats back exhaust to suit BA|F GT. PM FOR MORE INFO
pitpal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
WASP
Whipple Induced

That's odd. I have just purchased a new Fiesta Zetec with the 17" for the wife. I drove the base model for a day before ordering and was quite impressed with how the vehicle handled and stuck to the road. The suspension and steering, just like the Focus is one of their strong points so I would be having it checked out if I was you. Sounds like something is wrong.

Colville
Old 08-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
fiestadude
Starter Motor

Quote:

Very shocked to hear you say this Bryan! Good point that Candyman made about checking about the spacers that the transport trucks use when transporting these cars from the port to the dealershp. Some dealers forget to remove those during the pre-delivery inspection.

Every single review I've read highly praises the suspension and steering on these new Fiesta's. One professional reviewer from Fifth Gear (not to be confused with Top Gear) in the UK compares the new Fiesta to his Mondeo midsize car. A gentleman I know in the UK compared his test drive of a 5 door hatchback Fiesta to an Audi A6 that he used to own. He was absolutely flabbergasted by how refined and polished the Fiesta was. He now has one on order.
fiestadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

Quote:

This is a tough one. As its hard to know whether you don't like the harsh ride, or you don't like how the car handles, as you probably already know that these go hand in hand (usually).

As has been said earlier in the post, every iteration of the fiesta since the WP onwards has had only good reviews in respects to the way it handles and takes corners (my first experience the day i bought mine was beating a new mini cooper S round that sweeping entry onto the Monash freeway from ferntree gully rd.: )

A point to consider is that the car weighs only a shade over a tonne, therefore even little bumps will be magnified through the chassis.

Before you look at suspension upgrades (i.e. Eibach or Bilstein), i think little will be gained for you by changing the springs/shockers or both, as aftermarket suspension setups are usually even more stiff than stock, and the stiffness is what seems to be what is bugging you about the current Fiesta.
Interior: Colour-coded trims. ST leather gear knob w leather gaiter. Brushed Aluminium pedals. Scuff Plates.
Performance: Denso Iridium sparks. CAI. 2" cat-back with Hi-tech stainless muffler & dual chrome tips. Lowered. RSB soon!
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
bru20vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec jim
Before you look at suspension upgrades (i.e. Eibach or Bilstein), i think little will be gained for you by changing the springs/shockers or both, as aftermarket suspension setups are usually even more stiff than stock, and the stiffness is what seems to be what is bugging you about the current Fiesta.
Listen to zetecjim, he speaks the truth. I have recently gone down the eiabch/bilstein route and can tell you that in the WQ at least, you will lose most if not all of the ride suppleness you have stock. My setup is very stiff, and the light weight of the Fiesta doesn't help any. I find that the ride improves at speeds greater than about 80km/hr.

On the plus side there is absolutely no wheelspin and I can carry so much speed through corners that I run out of talent before the suspension does. I recommend that you try before you buy as bilstein are not cheap.
dom
bru20vt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #10
Zetec Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitpal
Definetly keep you in mind as were were already discussing this as a future mod
PM me whenever you are ready. I can guarantee you a great price when you do (provided Bilstein has shocks available for the new Fiesta and will only be a matter of time).

Bilstein has many setups and are sure to better that of any OEM suspension setup (that's unless the factory used Bilstein in the first place ) and can range from improved comfort whilst enabling spirited driving to those that allow complete height and damper/rebound adjustability for all out performance. All in all, the product speaks for itself and offers a 5yr/100,000km warranty and are fully serviceable, hence I only sell and deal with the best

P.S. The lowering of any vehicle and particularly combined with the use of coilovers will always reduce ride comfort due to increased stiffness of the springs used to prevent the car from bottoming out and to achieve better cornering ability, percieved sportiness, and improved stability at high speeds. Therefore if choosing to go down the path of lowering, it will always produce results of ride harshness and some form of discomfort over stock setup especially when driving at low speeds.

Hope this helps guys.

Last edited by Zetec Dave; 08-03-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:58 PM   #11
Zetec Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman2
Nope, very happy with the suspenson on ours. Quite impressed in fact and I've done a bit bit before with aftermarket suspension on previous vehicles.

Check the suspension spacers have been removed and check tyre pressures (Ford had ours overinflated).

The Ford Euro team generally are highly regarded for their suspension work

Definately do what Candyman2 says first though and see how you go. It could may well be just the suspension spacers being overlooked by the predelivery department and/or tyre over inflation. When I test drove the new fiesta, the ride seemed quite impressive and I do agree with the motoring press reviews.

Personally I would like to combine quality ride with some performance handling hence I'm going down the path of the Bilstein B6 Sport shocks without lowering. Basically a wolf in sheeps clothing. Just hope its available for the new Fiesta. It definately was available for the previous model Fiesta.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:45 PM   #12
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I haven't driven my wifes like I've stolen it yet, but so far it does feel VERY capable as far as handling goes. One thing I have noticed during the recent rain was how stable it is driving over ruts filled with water on the highways. I'm talking like 100% straight not moving off line at all. Very impressive for such a light FWD car. It feels like it has almost endless amount of sideways traction, I haven't even been half way to the limit yet I don't think. But I'll keep an eye on how you guys got with different suspension setups for future reference. We've had the 3000km service/check the other day and everything was still bolted together .

bdesigns, I'm not convinced Ford really did go with the same suspension as the base model Fiestas in the end. A few people have mentioned they drive stiffer so I dont think they are imagining it
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2009, 12:18 AM   #13
bdesigns
Joy Ride

mmm... well with the handling of the car, im very impressed with it. It can take fast and tight turns to my liking and i like everything bout it. What i was concerned about were the occasional hard bumps i tend to get.

Maybe im just thinking too much and forgot how small cars feels like. (I have been driving mums rav4 a bit).

I guess its nothing serious, just sumtimes i get hard bumps, but maybe coz there WAS sumthign hard on the road that anycar would of felt it anyways.. lol
Old 09-03-2009, 12:20 AM   #14
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

I had koni suspension in my 1.6L and the ride was VERY harsh (worse than the xr4). If you find the ride too harsh try lowering the tyre pressure slightly 2-4psi.

Changing suspension on a brand new car is a very extreme measure.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:10 AM   #15
chinw3e
no sacrifice, no victory

would it be because the car is still fairly new and the suspension hasn't really settled in yet? i'm not too sure either. i can say from experience that upgrading to stiffer springs does improve handling a lot, but just be prepared for the harsher ride that come with it.

also keep in mind that it is the monash you are driving on. haha. it's pretty much a dirt road atm. the shift from old to new surface just before wellington rd exit outbound sends a shiver down my spine as i know it can't be good for my car..

Eibach Lowering Springs, Wiecher Sports Strut Brace, K&N panel filter, fog lights, crystal black side indicators, car mats, tinted windows
chinw3e is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2009, 01:22 AM   #16
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah the suspension is firm but it's not as firm as what I'm used to, it's softer than my Commodore + FE2 springs with the tyres at 38psi but it's definatly firmer than your average family car.

I drive on probably the roughest/worst section of highway in Victoria which has really taken it's toll on the bendabilty and rattles of my car over the years:p however I don't consider the Fiesta too stiff, I really think it's just right, little bit sporty but still soft enough to deal with rough roads. Lowering the tyre pressures does make a huge difference to small sharp bumps. I haven't even checked the pressure on the Fiesta yet but I supppose it's somewhere in the mid 30s? out of the factory?

Last edited by greenfoam; 09-03-2009 at 01:31 AM.
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2009, 12:51 AM   #17
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

What do you recommend for the WQ LX just for a bit better ride height and handling?
K&N, F6 Snorkel, Debung, 20" Enix Turbine in Gunmetal, 7 seat rear springs.
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2009, 10:07 PM   #18
chinw3e
no sacrifice, no victory

EIBACHS !!!! haha pure quality if you're looking for handling

Eibach Lowering Springs, Wiecher Sports Strut Brace, K&N panel filter, fog lights, crystal black side indicators, car mats, tinted windows
chinw3e is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2009, 10:44 PM   #19
Zetec Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinpiston
What do you recommend for the WQ LX just for a bit better ride height and handling?
Hi, if you're looking at lowered ride height but better handling, I'd recommend the Bilstein B8 Sprint as it allows for use of almost any spring set and improves chassis performance during rapid lane changes at high speed, smoothens out undulations in the ground and irons out crossways expansion joints in the road. If you're looking for standard ride height without any lowering and wanting to to make a deliberate understatement but wanting the car to perform when needed with reliability, roadholding, improved tracking stability, and excellent damping, I'd go for the Bilstein B6 Sport as quoted from the Bilstein catalogue, "wolf in sheeps clothing".
For higher performance with lowering, the Bilstein B12 tuning kit lowers the vehicle by 30-40mm, improves vehicle response, better driving dynamics, durability and ride comfort.

Confirmation on availability of these suspension kits will be required as availability of these kits are based on Ford Fiesta V (JH_). Will need to check with Australian Ford dealers for exact model codes for correct referencing of part availability and suitability.

Alternatively you can visit www.bilstein.com or www.bilstein.de for further info relating to the choice of suspension options for the Bilstein range.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:22 PM   #20
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Its the damper settings that determine how well they perform not the brand
Old 10-03-2009, 11:49 PM   #21
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Dave, love your enthusiasm, but please remember you'll risk sounding like you're spruiking your bilsteins too much (which you kinda are) in the face of all the talk here.

In one sentence you say that lowering a car will always compromise comfort, then you later say that the B12 kit will give better ride comfort with a lower height.

Can't have your cake and eat it too!!

Full credit to Bilstein - we all appreciate their reputation. Just remember they're not the only reputable company in the worl, just like Ford's not the only company that makes great cars.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:54 AM   #22
Zetec Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Dave, love your enthusiasm, but please remember you'll risk sounding like you're spruiking your bilsteins too much (which you kinda are) in the face of all the talk here.

In one sentence you say that lowering a car will always compromise comfort, then you later say that the B12 kit will give better ride comfort with a lower height.

Can't have your cake and eat it too!!

Full credit to Bilstein - we all appreciate their reputation. Just remember they're not the only reputable company in the worl, just like Ford's not the only company that makes great cars.
Just answering what I was being asked about the Bilstein suspension options.
With the B12 and the other kits, I was quoting what the Bilstein catalogue states for each suspension kit. Each has its own characteristics and when it states that it provides lowering of the vehicle whilst providing comfort I'm sure it means "ability to provide comfort" whilst providing performance. It may not neccessarily mean better comfort than complete stock. So in a nutshell it refers to performance whilst minimising the sore buttocks as much as technically possible
Old 11-03-2009, 01:48 AM   #23
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Just keepin it real