Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Vehicles from factory not reflecting RTA rules or ADR's

Hi Guys,

Thought I would start a seperate thread on this as it can relate to more then one vehicle.

This got me a bit annoyed as I'm looking at tinting my car:

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2009...nip-tuck-14318

Quote:
The Ghia and Ghia Turbo models will feature privacy glass from the B-pillar back, as well as side step, door mirror indicators and a front fender treatment.
In relation to the Mk2 Territory getting blacked out rear quarter windows.

The RTA/ADR laws state that cars manufactured from Aug 1994, unless its a commecial vehicle, all windows rear from the front windscreen are not allowed any less thn 35% VLT.

So how does the new Territory get exempt from this?

Any other law flouting production vehicles out there?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
wicksy
Just a bogan VF SS driver

all i know is taht the klugers are like it too, it is strange though, i always see cars with the front 2 windows legal and back ones really dark , when i use to work for tint-a-car a lady came in with a kluger and wanted tint to match her privacy glass and of course had to put 18% on it, she asked if it was legal and i said no, but she didnt want the back windows different
Old 28-02-2009, 12:07 AM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yep.. VE Commodore utes should have rear mudspats fitted from factory.. asthey did on release.. but then holden removed them.. Its an ADR that all commercial vehicles have rear mudflaps...
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 12:10 AM   #4
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Got a link to those ADR's? I am sure that you are allowed below 35 on rear passenger windows.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 02:19 AM   #5
prydey
Rob

when it says privacy glass, is that referring to tint over standard windows or tinted glass.

brother had a nissan stagea and they come factory with uv cut glass. no tint but very dark, and very legal.

rta rules refer to tinting over glass.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 02:27 AM   #6
Matty4
Banana

From what I've been told over the years by several different tinters is that the front door windows must be no less than 35%, but any window behind that can be darker.
Old 28-02-2009, 02:39 AM   #7
prydey
Rob

what i've also found is that the % figures used by window tinters and the % figures in the rule book are opposite. the rule states you must only BLOCK 35% light from the front windows. this means they must ALLOW 65% transference of light. i got 20% put on a car i had which BLOCKED out 80% light. yes it was dark.
Old 28-02-2009, 02:50 AM   #8
Gaz
Got Ghia?

^
Its 35% VLT (visible light transmittance IIRC) meaning 35% of the light must pass through.

All rear windows must be 35% also, there is no such rule that rear passenger doors can be less than 35% as they are still used when doing shoulder checks. If the territory is referring to the cargo area side windows then it is probably allowable as they aren't used to look out of.
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 03:08 AM   #9
prydey
Rob

(5) Glazing behind the rear of the driver's seat may be coated to achieve a luminous
transmittance of not less than 35%.
(6) Glazing in a side window forward of the rear of the driver's seat may be coated to
achieve a luminous transmittance of not less than 70% or, if another law of this
jurisdiction allows a lesser luminous transmittance, the greater of:
(a) the lesser luminous transmittance allowed under the other law; and
(b) 35%.

this is from south australian rules. a little bit confusing at the end. all i know is i had to get my tint removed to get the car registered as it was too dark. (bought the car interstate complete with rwc). thats the way they explained it to me at regency. <--transport s.a inspection centre.
Old 28-02-2009, 03:26 AM   #10
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Got a link to those ADR's? I am sure that you are allowed below 35 on rear passenger windows.
The ADRs can be found HERE

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 03:38 AM   #11
747jet
2 4 turning 2 4 burning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Yep.. VE Commodore utes should have rear mudspats fitted from factory.. asthey did on release.. but then holden removed them.. Its an ADR that all commercial vehicles have rear mudflaps...
yeah and how did hilden get away with it its looks like money talks
747jet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #12
Tobey
BF Ute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicksy
all i know is taht the klugers are like it too, it is strange though, i always see cars with the front 2 windows legal and back ones really dark , when i use to work for tint-a-car a lady came in with a kluger and wanted tint to match her privacy glass and of course had to put 18% on it, she asked if it was legal and i said no, but she didnt want the back windows different
I have also noticed Liberty Wagons come like this too.

Could it be that wagons are under the commercial vehicle laws?
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #13
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

RTA tinting Rules are here:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...vsi03_rev3.pdf

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #14
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Yep, the Mini JCW had no Gear Shift Pattern on the gearstick... also defectble...
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 01:55 AM   #15
Matty4
Banana

Vic tinting rules here....
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...621/0/VSI2.pdf
This one shows requirements for drivers field of view. It appears from this that windows behind the driver are not classed as being in the field of view with regard to light transparency requirements.
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...07/0/VSI29.pdf

Last edited by Matty4; 02-03-2009 at 01:59 AM. Reason: added stuff
Matty4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 02:05 AM   #16
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84RGE
Yep, the Mini JCW had no Gear Shift Pattern on the gearstick... also defectble...
Doesnt have to be on the gearstick, just has to have a pattern visable somewhere.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 02:24 AM   #17
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Because if you have money you're above the law.

Seriously.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:59 AM   #18
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Mazda MX5 SP (turbo - don't know if it was the more powerful Aussie developed version or the less powerful Jap developed version that was also sold here) had a BOV that vented to atmosphere.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 10:06 PM   #19
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quick one; if a vehicle is found to not comply with required ADR, DOTARS 'Trade Compliance' can issue a recall for the issue to be rectified.
(Eg; the early BA 'decorative lamps' that were rectified into ADR compliant cornering lamps).
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 10:29 PM   #20
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Arent xenon/HIDs illegal? Even though heaps of manufacturers sell cars with them now.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 10:40 PM   #21
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torxteer
Arent xenon/HIDs illegal? Even though heaps of manufacturers sell cars with them now.
Only without a self-leveling and washing system.
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 10:56 PM   #22
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84RGE
Early BA 5 speeds with the optional momo gearknob were the same. There was no gear shift pattern on it.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 01:00 AM   #23
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

back to the original topic :

i noticed that they only said privacy glass, not how dark it will be. it could be 35%vlt stained glass.

i`m pretty sure that the imported cars that we see every day with dark tint in the rear glass are allowed into the country through a loop hole in the laws .
apparently new cars imorted into australia must meet one of - aust/nz standards, british standards, european standards, usa standards or japanese standards .
where as cars built in australia must meet australian/nz standards only. this seems to me to be a stupid unfair regulation that has been putting australian manufactures at a disadvantage for several years. one of little johnny eyebrow`s great fair trade deals.

it also overides the states window tinting regulations . what it means is that if you buy an upmarket version of a particular model you can have dark windows , but if you buy a more base version of the same vehical you can only go to 35%vlt.

another thing is that privacy glass is mostly just stained glass that does not stop the uv, so your kids can be sitting in the back seat getting burnt behind dark glass while you sit up front with your lighter legal 35%vlt aftermarket tint film on the front windows and be protected from the sun.

i think that the majority of the privatecy glass in the import cars is about 25%vlt.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250

Last edited by dave351cid; 03-03-2009 at 01:10 AM.
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 12:21 PM   #24
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

Subaru Forest also comes standard with "privacy" glass in the rear. It's very very dark as I once test drove one. I think the issue is the difference between tint film and dark glass, seems to be treated differently by law. Please remember tho that ALL glass reduces UV significantly.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #25
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Doesnt have to be on the gearstick, just has to have a pattern visable somewhere.

This is correct, but it didnt have it anywhere

Meh, jsut keep a post it note on the dash with the pattern!
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 03:51 PM   #26
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar
Subaru Forest also comes standard with "privacy" glass in the rear. It's very very dark as I once test drove one. I think the issue is the difference between tint film and dark glass, seems to be treated differently by law. Please remember tho that ALL glass reduces UV significantly.
Yep, our forester came standard with tempered rear passenger, rear cargo and rear windshield, called privacy glass. I have legal tint placed on all windows except the rear windshield, and 20% on the front windows.

The car still looks half tinted but the rear is near black out, but still easily to see out from the inside. Its all legal and I will be blacking out the rear half of my next car of it doesn't come with privacy glass. Great for cutting heat, and keeps the UVs of the babies.
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post