Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #61
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO
be ready to get brake checked. :evil3:
While I'm at it, this is one behaviour I've never quite understood either.
Presumably, you're concerned about being rear-ended because you think the person following is too close, so you react by significantly increasing the chances of being rear-ended? :

I've been accused of tailgating once or twice yet (exclusively by people who sit in the right lane and match speeds with the car on their left), strangely, I've never felt I've been tailgated myself. Sure I've had cars pretty close to my rear bumper but it doesn't seem to bother me very much. After all, if they hit me, it's their fault, and I certainly don't feel the need to increase the risk of being hit by braking for no particular reason. Of course, I also happen to be aware that most people who do 'tailgate' not only keep an eye on the rear end of the car in front, but also the traffic ahead of that car, so they know you don't have any reason to brake and are just doing it to have a little ego/power trip. So, not only do you increase the chances of being rear-ended, you also increase the chances of being involved in road-rage incident.

Clearly, the smart thing to do if you find yourself uncomfortable with the distance between you and the car behind is to keep driving normally and make sure you keep left and give them every opportunity to get past without incident. If you're really insecure about it, pull over and let them past immediately. Just like keeping left, it's not rocket science and certainly preferable to projecting your own insecurities onto the driver of the car behind and compunding the situation by a further act of stupidity which significantly increases your risk of being involved in an accident.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #62
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by troppo
Clearly, the smart thing to do if you find yourself uncomfortable with the distance between you and the car behind is to keep driving normally and make sure you keep left and give them every opportunity to get past without incident. If you're really insecure about it, pull over and let them past immediately. Just like keeping left, it's not rocket science and certainly preferable to projecting your own insecurities onto the driver of the car behind and compunding the situation by a further act of stupidity which significantly increases your risk of being involved in an accident.
mmmmm
xy500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 05:40 PM   #63
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its not tailgating! its slipstreaming! hehe (that actually works though decreased fuel consump from 9lt/100 to 6lt/100 but it was a big 4WD i was behind)

i'm not comfy with people being that close to me or my car, doesnt matter if they hit me and its their fault or not - being hit at 110 isn't exactly safe and i dont particulary want to be involved in a smash that big
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #64
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Quote:
The third and final one is people who also blatantly drive under the speed limit. Must be a trait from other states who are paranoid speed limit watchers, and decide thats how they have to drive.
proberly from victoria!!!
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 09:38 PM   #65
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Driving along the Bruce Highway north of Cooroy today I can now understand why there are so many accidents. People's driving on this road is apalling. It is a single lane either way (with dotted lines allowing overtaking) the drivers I witnessed today were doing between 70 and 80 in the 90 zone however they all sped up to about 110 whenever there was an overtaking lane. This meant people could not pass (legally). Then when the driver slowed down again on single lane sections people were taking serious risks by overtaking on crests and on corners. I seriously thought I would see an accident today when this lady in a mazda overtook on a corner.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 09:52 PM   #66
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The sunshine coast is shocking for that slow on the single lane speed up on the double lane then slow on the single lane again I couldnt beleive it and when you finally get to overtake the idiot driver looks at you as if you kill baby seals
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2008, 04:16 AM   #67
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
While I'm at it, this is one behaviour I've never quite understood either.
Presumably, you're concerned about being rear-ended because you think the person following is too close, so you react by significantly increasing the chances of being rear-ended? :

I've been accused of tailgating once or twice yet (exclusively by people who sit in the right lane and match speeds with the car on their left), strangely, I've never felt I've been tailgated myself. Sure I've had cars pretty close to my rear bumper but it doesn't seem to bother me very much. After all, if they hit me, it's their fault, and I certainly don't feel the need to increase the risk of being hit by braking for no particular reason. Of course, I also happen to be aware that most people who do 'tailgate' not only keep an eye on the rear end of the car in front, but also the traffic ahead of that car, so they know you don't have any reason to brake and are just doing it to have a little ego/power trip. So, not only do you increase the chances of being rear-ended, you also increase the chances of being involved in road-rage incident.

If I'm in a single lane and somebodies trying to push me to go faster and can't wait till the passing lanes well I'll brake check and go slower. I couldn't care if it starts road rage, as far as I'm concern they have already started. And if they hit the landcruiser then it's not going to hurt my truck any. But it will hurt their car and their face when I drag them out and punch a few hole through their skulls. I've already stated that I get to the left where possible so if they are that impatient to be rude and tailgate then I'll just hold them up more. And it has nothing to do with the fear of getting rear end, it's got to do with ****ing me off so in turn I p!ss them off. So read the post properly and understand it a bit better before trying to reply. :togo: And besides the rules say allow a safe braking distance from the car in front, so I'm not breaking any rules going 90kph. But if they are tailgating then their already breaking the law. :

Last edited by XBROO; 18-12-2008 at 04:30 AM.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2008, 11:36 AM   #68
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I know exactly what you meant and I actually agree with most of what you said...except the brake checking. If you feel that one stupid turn deserves another then so be it, but I'll never agree. Two stupids don't make a smartie.

Yes, the rules say a safe braking distance. It says 'safe' becasue there are so many variables (travelling speed, driver reactions, condition of brakes, tyres and shocks, road conditions, wieght of vehicle, etc) that a specific distance between cars cannot be stipulated. In other words, what's a sfae distance for person A in Landcruiser with a boat on the back is lot different to a safe distance for person B in a Skyline with big rotors and six pot Brembo's, agreed? Yet I've had clowns in Landcruisers with boats on the back brake checking me while merrily sailing along in the right lane well below the limit while the left lane is empty. Go figure...

BA GT-P Blueprint
Old 18-12-2008, 11:48 PM   #69
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
I know exactly what you meant and I actually agree with most of what you said...except the brake checking. If you feel that one stupid turn deserves another then so be it, but I'll never agree. Two stupids don't make a smartie.

Yes, the rules say a safe braking distance. It says 'safe' becasue there are so many variables (travelling speed, driver reactions, condition of brakes, tyres and shocks, road conditions, wieght of vehicle, etc) that a specific distance between cars cannot be stipulated. In other words, what's a sfae distance for person A in Landcruiser with a boat on the back is lot different to a safe distance for person B in a Skyline with big rotors and six pot Brembo's, agreed? Yet I've had clowns in Landcruisers with boats on the back brake checking me while merrily sailing along in the right lane well below the limit while the left lane is empty. Go figure...
i think you'll find most of the 'two seconds' distance is to allow for driver reaction time, not what modifications you have that make a driver believe they are a better driver
xy500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2008, 05:06 PM   #70
troppo
Mr old phart

While you make a valid point, it's not what we are discussing here. Nor does it change the fact that different vehicles have different stopping distances, regardless of the beliefs of the driver.

BA GT-P Blueprint
Old 19-12-2008, 06:09 PM   #71
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Well if it's is double lane and their in the right lane holding you up they have no right in brake checking you they should be getting into the left lane so you can continue on. But I'm talking about a single lane and I know two wrongs don't make a right, but I take it as an insult when they're sitting up my rear that close I can't even see their bonnet and they are making hand gestures. So then I just see red as I'm minding my own business and doing the right thing when passing lanes come up.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post