Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #31
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0whiteaughia
The tune is where it can go wrong, and badly!.
Then maybe I should delete the tune option!
pwr4ce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #32
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

Or i'll say is I have nothing bad to say about their mod's. Just bad things about their tuning ability, always putting in too much timing and car's leaving detonating, and although i have never dealt with chris from bluepower before, i have seen and heard plenty of results from his tunes, and i'd have to say that it seems to me that he is one of the best in the industry. And if it wasn't for me doing my own tune, i'd be taking mine their, at which i still may.
Old 22-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #33
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Ah its funny about this performance house is no good but the one I go to is better.
Look everyone has good and bad experiences its just path of the course.
To the poster, after you have done YOUR own research, summed up some of the posts here make calls to these shops or better still visit them and get to meet the boss, check out their place you'll know where you want to part with your hard earned.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 06:09 PM   #34
loony888

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Great place if you have more money than sense.

That's my opinion.

sorry mate, but from my experience that's just not true. you get what you pay for, and i just bought a cat back system in stainless for my XR8, paid $1420 for it with a 10 year warranty, aussie made. they offered me the same thing but made in china with 1 yr warranty for $800 and although i didn't buy that, i had looked everywhere and priced up everything before i decided and the chinese herrod system was cheaper than equivalent chinese stainless systems i could find.
add to that their brake package from PBR came in $600 cheaper than my next best price and i'll be buying that from them too. next up for me though is headers and cats and their price for them with the ceramic coating can't be beaten either. sure, i could find cheaper products but finding an EQUIVALENT product cheaper? not so easy.

paul.
Old 22-11-2008, 06:43 PM   #35
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
Ah its funny about this performance house is no good but the one I go to is better.
To the poster, after you have done YOUR own research, summed up some of the posts here make calls to these shops or better still visit them and get to meet the boss, check out their place you'll know where you want to part with your hard earned.
Have to totally agree with bluedriver a tune is either good or a bad experience I personally use herrod equipment but not their w/shop good idea to do your own evaluation and take a look at a couple of shops see what sort of a place it is. Most good w/shops are not shy about showing what they do.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 09:46 PM   #36
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by loony888
sorry mate, but from my experience that's just not true. you get what you pay for,
paul.
Ha ha ha ha.

Yeah righto. You'd have to be loony!

Where is Rob? Doesn't he post here anymore?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 09:57 PM   #37
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver

Question:
Do these shops warranty there edits? or is the risk of damage all the customers?
Old 22-11-2008, 10:43 PM   #38
loony888

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Ha ha ha ha.

Yeah righto. You'd have to be loony!

Where is Rob? Doesn't he post here anymore?

well it's obvious you have an axe to grind....................

paul.
Old 22-11-2008, 11:08 PM   #39
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

As a general rule if your car is stuck on a dyno, and the engine blows up while on the dyno. Its your problem. I do know of engines that have blown up while on the dyno (not to do with herrods) and it has been the customers problem to get it fixed.

It is very easy for them to put it back on the customer, with things like, you were over reving it, or you put in the wrong fuel, a sensor went faulty and blew it up, whatever, there is plenty they can put back on you. If you wanna take it to court you need evidence, evidence that comes from a mechanical engineer pulling the motor down, and photo's of it etc. etc.

I do know of a case whereby an exhaust shop emptied out the cats on a customers car, they put the oxy up the cat while still hooked up to the engine and burnt the cat contants out, blowing it back towards the engine, rebuild costing somewhere around $4k, the owner of the vehicle who was actually a mechanic took it to caught and actually won to a degree i think he got back $2k, after months and months of stress and waiting and going to solicitors having everything documented, he got his 1/2 his money back. 99.9% of people won't bother to goto this extent.

So no matter what whoever tunes your car you should be looking into very carefully, im sure most of them if you left and the car was pinging and you went back to them that they'd fix it, but if damage to engine etc. is done its gonna be your problem.

And a nice workshop thats clean and tidy and has all the tools didn't mean anything, even talking to the tuner won't really tell you a lot, unless you can talked equal to equal with knowledge to the person, otherwise really you have no hope of knowing. I can tell you now that i can tune my full throttle mixtures some 20 ways, but only 1 is really the correct way. And all the other ways will have downfalls of some types.

Along the same lines the ford ecu is very complicated, i know a lot of mechanics, i've shown a lot of them the tuning software i have, i've tried to teach some of them parts of it and so on, and this really isn't something in your normal computer literate mechanics ability. And in reality no one including SCT etc. completely understand how every part of the eec workings, every model etc. from ford is custom, and it isn't just lets turn something on, its lets add this function into the program, and its done by adding an extra line in to the program, and just inserted at whatever point they feel like it. I have 2 exactly the same cars with 6 months between them and the later one has about 15 extra lines added in, in the engine control section only, why? only ford knows. What they do, only ford knows.

In order for someone to be a good tuner in my opinion it takes a person that not only has a extremely good mechanical understanding of it, but someone who also has an extremely good understanding of how a computer actually works.

Last edited by 5.0 ED; 22-11-2008 at 11:25 PM.
5.0 ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 01:23 AM   #40
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr4ce
Question:
Do these shops warranty there edits? or is the risk of damage all the customers?
Well this is "the grey area" and I think 5.0whiteaughia has summed it pretty good above.
His last paragraph is the key imo as well......

Look these comments about xyz performance house have product supplied by such and such the same as another brand why care ?!
This has been going on for donkeys years wether it be a water pump, brake pads filters yaddayaddayadda.....if a company keeps their prices up because they believe they offer a point of difference its their perogative you don't have to buy ?!
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #41
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Quote:
As a general rule if your car is stuck on a dyno, and the engine blows up while on the dyno. Its your problem. I do know of engines that have blown up while on the dyno (not to do with herrods) and it has been the customers problem to get it fixed.

It is very easy for them to put it back on the customer, with things like, you were over reving it, or you put in the wrong fuel, a sensor went faulty and blew it up, whatever, there is plenty they can put back on you. If you wanna take it to court you need evidence, evidence that comes from a mechanical engineer pulling the motor down, and photo's of it etc. etc.

I do know of a case whereby an exhaust shop emptied out the cats on a customers car, they put the oxy up the cat while still hooked up to the engine and burnt the cat contants out, blowing it back towards the engine, rebuild costing somewhere around $4k, the owner of the vehicle who was actually a mechanic took it to caught and actually won to a degree i think he got back $2k, after months and months of stress and waiting and going to solicitors having everything documented, he got his 1/2 his money back. 99.9% of people won't bother to goto this extent.

So no matter what whoever tunes your car you should be looking into very carefully, im sure most of them if you left and the car was pinging and you went back to them that they'd fix it, but if damage to engine etc. is done its gonna be your problem.

And a nice workshop thats clean and tidy and has all the tools didn't mean anything, even talking to the tuner won't really tell you a lot, unless you can talked equal to equal with knowledge to the person, otherwise really you have no hope of knowing. I can tell you now that i can tune my full throttle mixtures some 20 ways, but only 1 is really the correct way. And all the other ways will have downfalls of some types.

Along the same lines the ford ecu is very complicated, i know a lot of mechanics, i've shown a lot of them the tuning software i have, i've tried to teach some of them parts of it and so on, and this really isn't something in your normal computer literate mechanics ability. And in reality no one including SCT etc. completely understand how every part of the eec workings, every model etc. from ford is custom, and it isn't just lets turn something on, its lets add this function into the program, and its done by adding an extra line in to the program, and just inserted at whatever point they feel like it. I have 2 exactly the same cars with 6 months between them and the later one has about 15 extra lines added in, in the engine control section only, why? only ford knows. What they do, only ford knows.

In order for someone to be a good tuner in my opinion it takes a person that not only has a extremely good mechanical understanding of it, but someone who also has an extremely good understanding of how a computer actually works.
Geez - from what youre saying, I guess Ill just be happy with just an exhaust and cai (and an engine still in one piece!)
Old 23-11-2008, 06:27 PM   #42
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Then maybe I should delete the tune option!
The exhaust they use is a Xforce exhaust and you would probably get it at a better price than them as well, if you looked around
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 07:33 PM   #43
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look don't get me wrong, tunes are good, one of the best mod's you can do, the whole thing is that if you goto the wrong tuner, in can end in catastrophy. So the whole important thing is to find a tuner that isn't going to stuff it up, and all you really can base it on is word of mouth.

You can always research a bit on engine tuning yourself, make sure you know what detonation/pinging sounds like.

The biggest place tuning workshops go wrong is that they run too much full throttle ignition timing, which just isn't worth it, a lot of tuners will tune the car and then remove 2 degree's from all full throttle timing RPM's. This then gives you a very large safety area, at a loss of under 1 %.
Old 23-11-2008, 07:39 PM   #44
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8
The exhaust they use is a Xforce exhaust and you would probably get it at a better price than them as well, if you looked around
Herrods do not use or fit X Force.
They have affiliations with Pacemaker who make their headers and HiTech for the Cats Back systems.
http://www.hitechmufflers.com.au/pro...dex.php?b=ford

Recently I think they've also hooked up with HM headers and are fitting / recommending their cats back systems as well............someone else may be able to verify the HM situation ????????

For what its worth.........I had Herrods lower my BFGT with their DJR spring package along with their camber kit..........damned good job. Very clean and the stuff works a treat. Car doesn't chop the front tyres out and the springs retained the factory compliance whilst giving it a lower stance..........I can recommend them for doing that sort of job.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 08:36 PM   #45
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Herrods do not use or fit X Force.
They have affiliations with Pacemaker who make their headers and HiTech for the Cats Back systems.
http://www.hitechmufflers.com.au/pro...dex.php?b=ford

Recently I think they've also hooked up with HM headers and are fitting / recommending their cats back systems as well............someone else may be able to verify the HM situation ????????

For what its worth.........I had Herrods lower my BFGT with their DJR spring package along with their camber kit..........damned good job. Very clean and the stuff works a treat. Car doesn't chop the front tyres out and the springs retained the factory compliance whilst giving it a lower stance..........I can recommend them for doing that sort of job.
I know and I didn't say that Herrod's use X Force.

If you read the whole thread you will realise that I was referring to Intune
Old 23-11-2008, 08:46 PM   #46
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
I know and I didn't say that Herrod's use X Force.

If you read the whole thread you will realise that I was referring to Intune
Ooooops.................just didn't make the connection in your post ??????............:
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #47
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Quote:
Look don't get me wrong, tunes are good, one of the best mod's you can do, the whole thing is that if you goto the wrong tuner, in can end in catastrophy. So the whole important thing is to find a tuner that isn't going to stuff it up, and all you really can base it on is word of mouth.

You can always research a bit on engine tuning yourself, make sure you know what detonation/pinging sounds like.

The biggest place tuning workshops go wrong is that they run too much full throttle ignition timing, which just isn't worth it, a lot of tuners will tune the car and then remove 2 degree's from all full throttle timing RPM's. This then gives you a very large safety area, at a loss of under 1 %.
I hear what you are saying and very much appreciate the advice.

Recently I had my Harley tuned by the dealer (used a screamin eagle race tuners kit from HD with a pre-configured edits to suit my engine mods) and it made a real difference to the bike, so are there pre-configured tunes to suit my car with selected mods instead of letting someone loose like a Dr Frankenstein to hand tune it and potentially cause $$$ of damage?

Can I also guess that at the next service, the Ford dealer will overwrite the tune with the any updated Ford factory spec?
Old 23-11-2008, 09:06 PM   #48
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Quote:
Is Xforce any good? What are the alternatives?

Would you agree that SS inductions is the way to go with CAI?
Old 23-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #49
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Can I also guess that at the next service, the Ford dealer will overwrite the tune with the any updated Ford factory spec?
I think they would more likely refuse to update your car based on the fact that it has been tuned aftermarket (and they will be able to tell).

As for CAI, I would suggest a Bluepower intake which seem to be getting consistently proven results.
Old 23-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #50
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

To tune a BF requires a flash tune box like a capa unit and before you take it to ford you would re-install the factory tune specs so if they update the specs you have the update without wrecking your custom tune.
On a BF ford can tell it has been flashed as it has a counter in the program.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......

Last edited by fpv84d; 23-11-2008 at 09:21 PM. Reason: add info
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 09:37 PM   #51
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Is Xforce any good? What are the alternatives?

I had a Herrod cat back system on my ute and changed it for an XForce system as I found the herrod system too quiet.

I think that XForce has one of the better sounding systems on the market.

As far as CAI are concerned the only one to get is a Bluepower CAI.
Old 23-11-2008, 10:25 PM   #52
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Check this best deal you will see in a long time, send a pm to Russ and see if there are any left...
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11241470

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 03:59 AM   #53
barbarian
Banned

its rated it good.

over and out
barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post