Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #1
balthazarr

Default It's always the motorists that end up paying...

So the NSW government plans to make up part of its deficit by - surprise, surprise - increasing the costs of motoring.

From http://www.theage.com.au/national/tr...1111-5mjy.html

"The congestion measures will mean anyone using harbour crossings between 6.30am and 9.30am and 4pm and 7pm weekdays must pay an increased toll of $4, up from $3. ...

Parking levies will increase from $950 to $2000 a year around Sydney's CBD and from $470 to $710 in other major population centres."

Old 12-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #2
PoMmYwOG

GREAT...city parking will be even more expensive than what it is...i wonder if it will be cheaper to cop the fine in some areas, they will probably put them up too.

06' Mazda SP23
5spd auto
Luxury pack
Old 12-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
FPV GT40
Banned

People voted labour....so why does everyone act surprised????

It took the Liberal's ages to get the economy back on track, now it will be destroyed again, with huge national debt blow outs, inflation and of course taxes taxes taxes and lots of excuses of course..... : :

But somehow I guess we will get through it life must go on, its just we will not be able to afford to eat soon....so it might stop the overweight issues we are having :
Old 12-11-2008, 02:41 PM   #4
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GT40
People voted labour....so why does everyone act surprised????

It took the Liberal's ages to get the economy back on track, now it will be destroyed again, with huge national debt blow outs, inflation and of course taxes taxes taxes and lots of excuses of course..... : :
Haven't Labor been in power for ages in NSW?
Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but it's a bit unfair to think that Australia - famously described as the Ar*e End of the World by a certain ex-PM - and it's puny economy (when compared globally) can possibly withstand any global recession/financial turmoil.

Quote:
But somehow I guess we will get through it life must go on, its just we will not be able to afford to eat soon....so it might stop the overweight issues we are having :
Just wait until The Recession We Had To Have, Mark II really hits... as long as the car doesn't get thirsty, it's all good.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:55 PM   #5
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i really dont understand the government..

Increase tolls/taxes/parking and whatever else on cars, basicly forcing 50% of the people travelling to the CBD to use public transport ie buses and trains, all the while doing the "green" thing and advertising for people to use public transport instead of drive.. and what do they do to accomodate the number of extra people using this ancient railway system? NOTHING. No more trains.. what SO EVER. sure they've built the epping to chatswood line - although its not open yet, they aren't going to run many more trains.. hell it took them 8 years before i saw a 2000 train on the north shore line..

bunch of morons. really dont like the transport system here, unfortunantly im forced to use it though.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Times of economic uncertainly are always good times to rush through the dodgey legislation that government couldnt have other wise got through due to public opinion. This is just a congestion tax, pure and simple. And it will go through without a wimper on the PC argument " we all must do whatever we can do blah blah BS BS"

Stand by, I'm calling it now. Federal Government, budget 09, personal tax rates to be INCREASED. Already softening up the electorate with "can no longer afford last round of personal tax cuts". Guaranteee that will escalate to "those who can pay must pay and be thankful you still have a job" for the 2009 budget.

Vic already scalling back all the promised infrastructure spending, now blaming Federal Govt for no longer funding half (not that that was ever mentioned when they announced with wonderful gifts to the electorate in 2008.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:18 PM   #7
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT
Times of economic uncertainly are always good times to rush through the dodgey legislation that government couldnt have other wise got through due to public opinion. This is just a congestion tax, pure and simple. And it will go through without a wimper on the PC argument " we all must do whatever we can do blah blah BS BS"

Stand by, I'm calling it now. Federal Government, budget 09, personal tax rates to be INCREASED. Already softening up the electorate with "can no longer afford last round of personal tax cuts". Guaranteee that will escalate to "those who can pay must pay and be thankful you still have a job" for the 2009 budget.

Vic already scalling back all the promised infrastructure spending, now blaming Federal Govt for no longer funding half (not that that was ever mentioned when they announced with wonderful gifts to the electorate in 2008.

Tax increases during a recession????? You're joking right?
Old 12-11-2008, 06:16 PM   #8
icedfrog
Banned

I still remember the federal Labor slogan - Vote for change.

We got change alright.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:07 PM   #9
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

And you ppl think a liberal goverment will be any better, i think not
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Old 12-11-2008, 07:11 PM   #10
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I say next election we all vote the greens in as a joke
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:26 PM   #11
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

It's times like this I'm glad I don't live in sydney dont know how you all can afford to drive down there with all the trolls and etags not forgetting cost of fuel. $20 in fuel to go to work $25 in tolls / day plus a new conjestion tax. the gov't just loves sydneysiders.cant say you didn't get something for christmas.Wonder wtf the govt does with all the taxes they collect imo the bridge should have been paid for long ago so why is there a toll and why increase it ? 3x3 fuel tax,road tax with rego all the taxes and charges buying and transferring rego, fuel tax and we still have shyte roads. but the pollies have excellent super. :

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
Old 12-11-2008, 07:33 PM   #12
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

Just cause you are in newcastle doesn't mean your imuned to all this, we all pay in the end no matter where we live.
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Old 12-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #13
icedfrog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer_Me
And you ppl think a liberal goverment will be any better, i think not
What an idiotic thing to say.

Have you been living in Australia for the past 10 or so years? Have you benifited from the record unemployment lows? The record inflation lows? Perhaps the record low interest rates?

The 1 and only rule in the Labor economic text book is RAISE TAXES.

It is also considered poor english to start a sentence with the word " and ". You would only know that if you passed year 2 english though.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:37 PM   #14
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

You goose we are talking about state goverments not fedral (funny most states were labour while liberals were in fedral goverment and all that time everyone had the change to vote out the labour state goverments and never did, that really erk'd the bushied brow'd one), well being from the working class aust, not some desk jockey i dont really give a rats about what i start a sentence with professor spin doctor
Old 12-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #15
icedfrog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer_Me
You goose we are talking about state goverments not fedral (funny most states were labour while liberals were in fedral goverment and all that time everyone had the change to vote out the labour state goverments and never did, that really erk'd the bushied brow'd one), well being from the working class aust, not some desk jockey i dont really give a rats about what i start a sentence with professor spin doctor
I used the federal Liberal government as the most recent and obvious successful government in recent times to refute your comment that " the libs wouldn't do much better ". Over your head obviously.

Am i getting this right? Because i can read and write this the english language i'm not " working class Australia "? Says a lot for its inhabitants, doesn't it?
Old 12-11-2008, 09:12 PM   #16
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedfrog
Have you been living in Australia for the past 10 or so years? Have you benifited from the record unemployment lows? The record inflation lows? Perhaps the record low interest rates?
Don't want to start a political fight here but I think any Government could have ran the country for the last ten years and come out the other end smelling of roses. The mining boom almost ensured that.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:39 PM   #17
Force6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Don't want to start a political fight here but I think any Government could have ran the country for the last ten years and come out the other end smelling of roses. The mining boom almost ensured that.
As did the microeconomic reform of the Hawke/Keating governments.

But this isn't a thread about Labor vs. Liberal.

Does anyone else have any suggestions as to how the government can reduce the size of the deficit? Don't forget that if they don't decrease the size of the deficit now, we'll pay for it later.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #18
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Bah, this is far too political for me.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Closed Thread