Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-10-2008, 08:14 AM   #1
Brut
Starter Motor

Default AUIII temperature gauge

I have an 02 AUIII XR6 which has recently been serviced. As part of the service they removed the instrument cluster behind the dash to replace a blown bulb. I'm not sure if this has contributed to the situation below.

Having got the car back I noticed that the temperature gauge would climb rapidly into the red when the car is put under load ie. 115km going up a moderate hill or 140km when passing. The gauge would then return to normal within seconds of me reducing power. My mechanic first said it was the radiator and replaced it. This didn't solve the problem, then he replaced the thermostat. Again this didn't solve the problem. They have now told me that the car is not over heating and it is likely to be electronic. This is something I raised at the start with them. Has anyone had a similar experence or may know what the problem may be. Also can anyone tell me what my rights might be with respest to paying for what appears to be unnecessary work to date.

Brut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 08:43 AM   #2
james22
With da Warlords

Check both your thermo fans are plugged in and working. Very common mistake to forgot them when changing the radiator etc.

When you turn the Air con to max, and fully cold, they should start up and run at high speed.

Let us know how you go...

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
Brut
Starter Motor

Thanks for that, I'll have a look tonight. The car is currently back with the local Ford dealer who are having another go at it......... watch this space, I think they will eventually replace the right part but it's likely to be just luck when they do. It's getting a little frastrating having now taken it back for the third time.
Old 24-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did they do a cooling system flush with the original service? With a 50% green additive your system may run hotter influencing the temp gauge and thermo fans. The recommended percentage of anti freeze/anti boil is 33 % for the AU I6 for average climate.
cheers
Bill.
Old 24-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #5
Brut
Starter Motor

They did bleed the cooling system with the service.

Have just been speaking to the mechanic. This time they tell me it's a heat sensor in the cylinder head giving a faulty reading. They apparently contacted Ford (although they are the local Ford dealer) and it's a known fault that the AU's had since new. The sensor monitors the temperature of the head rather than the coolant system and will shut down the engine should things get too hot or so they tell me. They will replace this part on Tuesday when the part arrives so fingers crossed thet've got it right this time.
Old 24-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
james22
With da Warlords

Yep, that was gonna be my next suggestion if the thermos were working properly.

The sender fails preety commonly. I'd say your home free now bud, but let us know

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post