Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-09-2008, 03:28 PM   #61
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak
True. The problem is that if someone has reached a place where all they want is the big sleep, they aren't exactly in a stable frame of mind. There are a lot of people walking the earth and struggling to be considerate when they're not completely off-tap. Getting unhinged isn't going to see their empathy improve.

:
Too true! Im glad you said something cause I was going to loose it! I work with young people with this kind of issue. They often feel like noone gives a rats ****. Comments and attitudes like some of the ones Ive read are about as helpful...

Outback Chick, you did do the right thing. They often need a bit of a reality check. And youre the one they really needed it from, as it directly effected you too.

If I can say one thing about the people out there who do try and take their own life. Don't condemn them, it just fuels their isolation! Put yourself in their shoes. We are Aussies (last I checked), we look out for our mates. We dont kick em while their down like the Yanks do.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #62
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Keyboard cowboy! If you really think that, you must be a very productive member of society.

To the OP - shame about your car, but at least he didn't die; that would have left mental scars for you for years no doubt.

Peuty and others that think the same way (as did I); My brother committed the "selfish" act of suicide earlier this year. While he didn't directly involve anyone else, he has left us all wondering why. His girlfriend found him - an image that will haunt her for years to come. Why did he do it? Because he took so called party drugs - "e", ice and ketamine and they screwed his brain, and he couldn't deal with the "evil spirits" any longer. His note said he was doing us a favour; but we will never truly know why; no-one who hasn''t lost their mind could know what he was going through.
Very good post.

any type of person can do this sort of thing, whether its drugs, financial, spouses, family etc.. for instance - My neighbour was the head of the local indian community, very sucessful, had a 250k merc, 1.5m house next door, and another merc(exactly the same, and a bigger house in melb) all the nice things etc etc, he owned his own furniture company Dempsey i think it was.. but it went bottom up, he couldnt stand the shame and took a rifle.. and you know the rest..

Or

my best mates brother, i only met him a couple of times but the times i did meet him he was happy as, seemed like a great bloke etc etc.. but he commited suicide in the backyard of their house, from the tree out back. His mother found him and tried to resuccitate(sp) him as she was trained but to no avail. He left a note blaming the whole family for why he did it, even his little brother(my best mate who looked up to him alot)and it messed them all around, but they remember him with love and still talk about him like he's still around sometimes.
needless to say the tree is now gone and the backyard remodeled

Before that, that same family had had a foster brother who'd done the same thing, though i dont know the story behind that.

It can be anyone from any walk of life.. it doesnt matter and as someone previously said you cannot condemn them for wanting to end their own lives, as at the time they most probably see it as doing everyone a favour because no one seems to care whether they let people know or not..
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 08:51 AM   #63
outback_chick
*CHIXUTE*

I just wanted to post an update...

My insurance company has got back to me - They say I have to pay $750 dollars excess, I honestly broke into tears on the phone, So I called the police and spoke to the SGT who was at the scene and he said to me keep going through the books until you get the answer you want, I also have a few friends in the insurance industry that I didnt know about until I spoke to them about this.

I will be going above my claims officer on monday to my agent and see what he says if still no prevail I will be opening a dispute console with head office in Melb. If that still no prevail then I go to the insurance ombudsman.

I called the ombudsman to see if I do stand a chance and if I have a right to fight it and he said yes I do and I shouldn't have to pay.

Because its a suicide case then apparently no one in the industry is going to try chase him for the money - of course - just incase...

So instead that whack me with the 250 excess and a 500 AGE excess... which I have to say is completely not fair... apparently (now this is from my claims officer) if I had swerved into the car beside me and missed the guy running into the side of my car I wouldn't have to pay excess!!!! Because its another vehicle - But then swerving is partially my fault... I mean seriously WTF??? That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard someone say... oh yeah sure next time I'll avoid him and try to hit the guy next to me so I dont have to pay any excess........

I thought the way I handled the situation was the safest most possible way I could have handled it....God knows why they are suggesting otherwise

The damage came to 2800 so if they get 750 from my excess then I guess they dont lose too much money if they don't chase him for it....if worst case I have to pay excess I hope they scrap the AGE part because age and experience has nothing to do with it.. in other words if my partner was driving it would have costed 250...this is unbelievable..
outback_chick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 09:25 AM   #64
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_chick
The damage came to 2800 so if they get 750 from my excess then I guess they dont lose too much money if they don't chase him for it....if worst case I have to pay excess I hope they scrap the AGE part because age and experience has nothing to do with it.. in other words if my partner was driving it would have costed 250...this is unbelievable..
Sorry to hear about that. I know it's a bloody joke the way things work.. or don't work I should say.

What the hell is on that quote to cost almost 3 grand?.. no wonder we pay through the nose for insurance.

If it was me, and I had to pay that excess I would be fixing that myself. A front gaurd will cost less then that, and you keep your NCB.. I guess the fact that you have to pay the access also means you're at fault??
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #65
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its amazing how much what a small amount of damage can cost.

This small small prang ended up costing over $4500 to repair.. infact i think the tall has increased to about $4700

Old 12-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #66
Dezza
Parts bin special

That is pathetic from the insurance company. You didn't cause the accident, so you shouldn't have to be slapped with the excess. The $500 under 25 thing is ridiculous. I had to pay an $850 excess last year and since I didn't have much money at the time, it really cleaned me up. Just keep at them. Hopefully you can get them to budge.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 02:09 PM   #67
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza!
That is pathetic from the insurance company. You didn't cause the accident, so you shouldn't have to be slapped with the excess. The $500 under 25 thing is ridiculous. I had to pay an $850 excess last year and since I didn't have much money at the time, it really cleaned me up. Just keep at them. Hopefully you can get them to budge.
same boat, i was required to pay $900($500 extra inc for under 25). helpfully the place i got my car repaired gave me a $100 discount ^.^ and that was 2 and a half weeks ago

But since i had just had 2 months off work and i dont get paid until tonight or tomorrow it ended up being over 3 months. Luckily i had a bit of cash left over and 2 weeks ago i had my tax come in but i'm still fairly stretched :(
Old 12-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #68
outback_chick
*CHIXUTE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
What the hell is on that quote to cost almost 3 grand?.. no wonder we pay through the nose for insurance.
1300 in paint - pearl essence... brand new bumper cut to suit bullbar, front guard new indicator new mirror straighten door it wont even open also new inner guard and bonnet re-alignment new decal and side strip and labour remove and replace guards etc..
:
Old 14-09-2008, 10:18 PM   #69
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
1300 in paint - pearl essence... brand new bumper cut to suit bullbar, front guard new indicator new mirror straighten door it wont even open also new inner guard and bonnet re-alignment new decal and side strip and labour remove and replace guards etc..
:

For that amount of work, $3k is pretty good. Ours came to $4500 for one dent in the rear.

As for the excess, that sucks and I guess i is a case of an insurance company trying it on and hoping you will not fight it. I would fight it, do not see why you should pay an excess or lose your no claim just because someone intentionally jumps in front of you.

I will have a talk to Tori about the excess thing, she works in commercial insurance and knows this stuff well.
Old 14-09-2008, 10:30 PM   #70
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Happened to me today

Was riding the Kwaka along Mooloolah Connection Rd goin home from a sweet ride, probabaly the only time today I followed the speed limit.

Past the local bowls club (only licencsed place in town) and a guy in a territory goes to leave, stops at the intersection, looks at me coming, and pulls out anyhow, I had to enter the country club driveway (going behind him while he was still in my lane as he crossed to the right) to avoid hittin this suicidal maniac

welcome to the world of bikers!

sorry, needed a place to rant haha

mick out
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2008, 11:45 PM   #71
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

A fella I used to know a few years ago, whom I used to work with, jumped in front of a car. That's what I was told.
I seen the result, on a ventilator and neck brace for 6 months, then wheelchair bound for the rest of his life. Quadraplegic, can only steer the wheel chair with his chin.

The quality of life is depressing.

But the life of the driver of the vehicle would have to be messed up too.

I know a few train drivers (melbourne), that have had this done to them. They can't stop in 5 metres, they know what happened after that 5 metres. It destroyed them.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2008, 12:00 AM   #72
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Waggn
A fella I used to know a few years ago, whom I used to work with, jumped in front of a car. That's what I was told.
I saw the result, on a ventilator, and neck brace for 6 months, then wheelchair bound for the rest of his life. Quadriplegic, can only steer the wheel chair with his chin.

The quality of life is depressing.
The amazing thing is, I know a bloke in the same situation (high level quad - dived into a river and broke his neck on his 21st birthday), when Michael Hutchence died I was talking to him the next day and he couldn't understand it.

His exact words were "Life's not that bad".
Coming from a guy who can't do anything for himself...
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2008, 01:28 AM   #73
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
I have no respect for people who want to/try to kill themselves, it is a selfish act.
As if they'd care.

People who do commit suicide often have no respect for themselves.

It is a selfish act, but people panic on a massive level or feel their problems are insurmountable and believe there is no way out.

One of my mates quit his great job, got a new one (that appealed to him more), and hated it. Considered doing the deed, but I told him that work forms such a small part of our lives. If it sucks, quit it, and just chill for a bit.

I've mass panicked heaps of times, but I've seen what suicide does to family and friends.
People who end their lives prematurely often don't realise how important they are to so many people.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2008, 09:13 AM   #74
outback_chick
*CHIXUTE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
As for the excess, that sucks and I guess i is a case of an insurance company trying it on and hoping you will not fight it. I would fight it, do not see why you should pay an excess or lose your no claim just because someone intentionally jumps in front of you.

I will have a talk to Tori about the excess thing, she works in commercial insurance and knows this stuff well.
Thanks mate that would be great.... I'm still p1$$ed as I have no car and I cant have a hire car.
Old 15-09-2008, 09:14 AM   #75
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

has anyone considered that anyone who suicides has some real issues. not with girlfriends breaking up with them, losing their job etc. it seems to me that they want to die - in which case living, for the sake of relatives and friends is a selfless act

although losing someone you love, is a devastating incident, i feel it is selfish to expect someone to live when they do not want to. suicide can be even more devestating on the victims families/friends because most are unexpected. alot of people seem happy and/or methodical just beforehand. that would suggest to me that what they are about to do, is what they want. not the result of some bad news/thing happening. it is like most things in life. if you have not experienced it, whether going through the thoughts or having known someone who has (and has speaken honestly), then you cannot understand. as an example, michael hutchence was supposed to be at his happiest before his death. and my opnion on whether it was an accident or not is he wrote a song called "suicide blonde" did he not. i would not right a song about fords if they were not on my mind, so i imagine suicide was on his

while a damaged car is an inconvenience the real tragedy is the damaged mind that caused the problem

if anyone is feeling depressed or suicidal they should seek help or talk to someone they can trust. at least while living you have a choice and it does destroy the lives of those you love
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2008, 09:35 PM   #76
Penelope Pitstop
Can't get enough of this.

Location: Standing on the driveway sobbing because I don't have a PINK ute anymore :0(

Quote:
I just wanted to post an update...

My insurance company has got back to me - They say I have to pay $750 dollars excess, I honestly broke into tears on the phone, So I called the police and spoke to the SGT who was at the scene and he said to me keep going through the books until you get the answer you want, I also have a few friends in the insurance industry that I didnt know about until I spoke to them about this.

I will be going above my claims officer on monday to my agent and see what he says if still no prevail I will be opening a dispute console with head office in Melb. If that still no prevail then I go to the insurance ombudsman.

I called the ombudsman to see if I do stand a chance and if I have a right to fight it and he said yes I do and I shouldn't have to pay.
Hi There

I have had a look over your thread and it sounds like you had one hell of a day.

I am one of those dodgy insurance sales people that everybody speaks so highly of!

The first thing you need to do is read your Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) that was issued to you when you first took out the policy – read the section that covers Claims and the one relating to Excess. They all have them, no matter whom you are insured with and they are generally towards the back of the PDS. This will educate you on the insurance companies point of view.

Your claim is not the norm so therefore I would say they are either rating it as malicious damage or impact by animal (as animals tend to run into cars more so than humans) both of these ratings will automatically require you to pay the excess as there is no third party to contact, to admit liability or to recover funds from.

However – you have a known third party and are able to give the insurance company his name, address, contact phone and more importantly a police report number and statement – this should be your saving grace.

The claims officer you spoke to you on your first phone call is legally bound to advise if an excess may be required to be paid, I doubt very much she would have any authority to waiver it given the circumstances.

I am guessing as I have no idea who you are insured with that the next step in the claims process will be to have the vehicle assessed. The assessor should be the one who makes the decision if your excess is to be paid or not. I wouldn’t go jumping up and down just yet. Wait until the assessor has seen the vehicle – make sure you give him your police report and report number (keep copies for yourself) and see what he says.

If the assessor still insists you have to pay the excess – then you can start jumping. First thing to do is to contact the claims officer again and explain your concerns if this gets you nowhere then ask to speak to her team leader/manager (note: she may try in a round about way to talk you out of doing this – be insistent and stand your ground).

Speak to the Team Leader/Manager and explain the situation – try to stay calm, confident and be nice – you are more likely to get bees with honey approach will help here.

If you still do not get the excess waived then ask her for to give you the details for the complaints resolution team (all insurers have them) and tell her you would like your dispute escalated and reviewed. Again stand your ground.

Allow the escalation and review to take place and await their response.

If, again you are not satisfied then go to the Ombudsman and request an external review.

Most of the time, in my experience, it will be sorted out in the internal review as insurance companies are reluctant to get the Ombudsman involved.

Just remember you have a good case, you have the police reports etc and YOU were the victim. Write down all conversations - name of person you spoke to, date and time of phone call, key points etc as the ombudsman may need this as they will ask the insurer for their file notes too.
Quote:
So instead that whack me with the 250 excess and a 500 AGE excess... which I have to say is completely not fair... apparently (now this is from my claims officer) if I had swerved into the car beside me and missed the guy running into the side of my car I wouldn't have to pay excess!!!! Because its another vehicle - But then swerving is partially my fault... I mean seriously WTF??? That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard someone say... oh yeah sure next time I'll avoid him and try to hit the guy next to me so I dont have to pay any excess........

I thought the way I handled the situation was the safest most possible way I could have handled it....God knows why they are suggesting otherwise
This is just rubbish – disregard it – appalling advice.

Quote:
If for some reason you lose and you have to pay your excess than you will more than likely be required to pay the age excess as you were behind the wheel at the time the incident took place – full stop. Whether or not your age or experience could have helped or not is irrelevant. Sorry - sucks to be young! ;) :(

And lastly you won't get a hire car unless you had nominated this additional cover and had been paying the premium for it.

Anyway hope this helps a little. If you want to PM feel free and I will try to help if I can.

Good Luck
Cheers, Tori
Old 17-09-2008, 02:20 PM   #77
outback_chick
*CHIXUTE*

Thankyou so much Tori,

I have been following the rules of engagement so far so heres the update.

My policy is Commercial Vehicle Insurance

The extract relating to Policy Excess

An excess is the amount shown on the current schedule which you must pay towards the cost of each claim. You may have to contribute more than one excess.

Basic Excess - $250
The amount you pay towards each claim and is shown on the current schedule as "Basic Excess"

Age and inexperienced driver excess
In addition to basic excess you agree to pay an age and inexperienced driver excess if at the time of an accident resulting in a claim, the person driving your vehicle is;
1. Under 21 years of age an additional 150% of basic excess = $625
2. Under 25 years of age and over 21 years of age an additional 100% of the basic excess = $500
3. Over 25 years of age and has not been licensed to drive your vehicle for more than 2 years. an additional 100% of basic Excess = $500

Ok so first of all they wanted to charge me $750 - I have no idea where that number came from so I approached them on this and they changed it to $625

Secondly I was reading the above 3 grades of excess the accident happened on August 30th 2008 I was 21 FIVE days later on the 4th of September I was 22.

If you read about what category I should have been put it I would fit No. 2
you are only 21 for one day of the year that is why most policies state 21 and under. Except the above policy states UNDER 21! - IE: If I'm 18 and to get into the pub there is a sign that states under 18s not allowed... THEN I CAN GO IN! so therefore my excess should only be $500. This is an issue I'm meant to be hearing back from today plus my agent will be paying 250 of the excess so at the current time I am either paying

375 or 250 ... waiting for the approval
Old 17-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #78
Penelope Pitstop
Can't get enough of this.

Location: Standing on the driveway sobbing because I don't have a PINK ute anymore :0(

No Brainer there matey.... you should def be in 2 as you were 21 + 11months of age when the accident took place therefore OVER 21.

I would say the $750 came from a combination of the Basic Excess $250 + Age Excess $500 = $750. Most insurance compaines add it on this way instead of giving you a figure.

Badly worded policy issue really....

Why are you under a Commercial policy? Is your ute a farm ute? Just not sure why it would be classified as commercial... even if you use it for business I would have thought it would have been Personal Lines with a Business usage. But anyway I guess that is not important.

Your agent is good paying half of the excess. I mean I really like my clients but there is no way I would fork out for their excess.
Old 17-09-2008, 03:08 PM   #79
outback_chick
*CHIXUTE*

LOL I have no idea why its under commercial my partners previous ute was a farm ute and because he bought the same car he just transferred that policy onto this one eventually I got the car so I think thats how it happens plus we use it for farm work now and again. Hopefully the people at head office will approve the 125 dollars off. Thansk so much for your help though tori