Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-08-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

Default Insurance - QBE?

With the new FG on the way, thought I'd check out my insurance options. Ive been with CGU for a number of years now and generally happy when i have had to claim (not at fault).

So here are some of the quotes - FAIR DINKUM - the differences were huge

The quote was for FG XR6 Utility, Sports Pack, Secured Loan, garaged at 2257, nominated driver, Male, 15 years driving experience, no at fault claims, maximum NCB

Yearly Monthly
NRMA $1,191.52 $107.29
CGU $806.52 $67.21
GIO $999.23 $88.26
QBE $589.00 $54.05
Allianz $876.82 $79.65
AAMI Site was down

So QBE stands out. I am currently paying $60/mth for the RTV. QBE quoted $40 per month.

So question - has anyone had bad experiences with QBE? I will be contacting CGU (who i also have home insurance with) and seeing if they can match QBE. But how rude is the NRMA quote!

BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Private Use I assume? Very Good Quote Awesome Company...... shouldn't have problem.........

Whats the actual name of the policy, should be on the Product Disclosure Statement (Policy Wordng)

Doubt CGU will match the quote.............

Is that with Rating/No Claim Bonus Protection and Choice of Repairer
Did you exclude under 25's of 30's for a discount?

Note they have an undisclosed young driver excess which you will have to pay if the excess is applicable to claim which is on top of the Basic Excess and Age Excess for Drivers Under 25 years Old

Just read there PDS in relation to new for old repalcement of vehicle

if your vehicle is a total loss;
replace your vehicle provided:
- you are the original owner and have insured your vehicle with us from new; and
- your vehicle is less than two years old and has been driven less than 20,000kms; and
- your vehicle was originally insured for the purchase price, if a similar make and model is available.

Most ppl do over 20,000klms in the first year - the policy we have with QBE has 3 years and under 60,000klms

You can add the option:- 4 Year New Car Replacement
Extends it to 4 years and under 100,000klms - may bve worth looking into

Ps there will always be some one with a horror story with any insurance company but dealings we have had with them in the last 10+ years we have not had a problem

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.

Last edited by Sorted; 31-08-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #3
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

Private, excluded all drivers but me (no one drives my ute except me and my mechanic...annoys my mates).

Next step is to read the PDS for sure.

Thats great feedback Sorted. If the PDS stacks up, will be signing up; Its a great saving
Sold FG XR6 Ute

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Old 31-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Also check out the excesses..
Old 31-08-2008, 11:17 PM   #5
xfv8ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_Crazy
With the new FG on the way, thought I'd check out my insurance options. Ive been with CGU for a number of years now and generally happy when i have had to claim (not at fault).

So here are some of the quotes - FAIR DINKUM - the differences were huge

The quote was for FG XR6 Utility, Sports Pack, Secured Loan, garaged at 2257, nominated driver, Male, 15 years driving experience, no at fault claims, maximum NCB

Yearly Monthly
NRMA $1,191.52 $107.29
CGU $806.52 $67.21
GIO $999.23 $88.26
QBE $589.00 $54.05
Allianz $876.82 $79.65
AAMI Site was down

So QBE stands out. I am currently paying $60/mth for the RTV. QBE quoted $40 per month.

So question - has anyone had bad experiences with QBE? I will be contacting CGU (who i also have home insurance with) and seeing if they can match QBE. But how rude is the NRMA quote!
Have you tried using a insurance broker, A lot of the time you will find they can get better if not the same sort of prices but with better cover and service ?
xfv8ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 09:06 AM   #6
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

Havent tried a broker as yet.

Exceess were all the same - $500 for me
Sold FG XR6 Ute

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Old 01-09-2008, 11:43 AM   #7
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

i'm with QBE, they were $1000 cheaper than SGIO (my previous insurer). Very friendly, easy and polite to deal with. Have looked after me from day dot.

For example, i bought the car second hand (albeit with only 900km's on the clock) and despite not being the first owner, the guy on the phone put it down as a brand new vehicle with me being the first owner fully aware that i wasn't the first owner. I now get full replacement if the car is written off in the first few years. I started out with QBE years ago and as a gesture of goodwill, they gave me 3 years NCB accruement for free. This had the affect that i had been driving, fully insured for 3 years so ofcourse it dropped the yearly bill and excess etc

My excess is only $200 if i have an accident. Also i wont loose my NCB for the first 'at fault' crash in each calendar year...basically if i have a crash in one year and it's my fault...i dont get slammed for it and it doesn't affect the excess or NCB

Add on unlimited windscreen replacements etc and you are laughing.

These guys are really, really good.

Cheers

T
Old 01-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #8
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

My partner works for QBE, probably so cheap cause they don't pay her much. lol. Otherwise have'nt heard much bad about them. They should be fine for just general car insurance of a standard type vehicle.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:01 PM   #9
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

We have changed all of our insurance (2 cars and Home and contents) to QBE a couple of years ago. They were substantially cheaper than NRMA with a better policy. When we made a claim it was a very easy and stress free. I would recommend them as highly as possible for an insurance company.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 08:13 PM   #10
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

Thanks for feedback. The PDS looked clear and cover is sufficient. My old man will also switch given the savings.

The more i think about it, the two most expensive companies are the ones that advertise the most - NRMA (that bird with the Prius and Red hair) and AAMI (Toddy u unlucky bugger).
Sold FG XR6 Ute

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Old 03-09-2008, 01:51 PM   #11
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_Crazy
The more i think about it, the two most expensive companies are the ones that advertise the most - NRMA (that bird with the Prius and Red hair) and AAMI (Toddy u unlucky bugger).
Poor Toddy, gets screwed over (but what a missus!!! : )

But I have also gone with QBE for insurance, waaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than Swann, AAMI or RACV (all after having read their PDS of course).
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2008, 05:33 PM   #12
balthazarr

I've been hunting around for insurance for my new GT-P... QBE are one of the cheapest, but not happy to find out that their 4 year new for old replacement option is not available for my car. :

And the 2 year/20,000km standard option really only means 1 year due to the amount of driving I do.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2008, 10:39 PM   #13
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

i was with QBE but had problems with them like when i brought the car i put the insurance though them told them in was lowered, wheels, stereo, exhaust, then rang up a few months later to tell them of the bodykit and found they hadnt put the wheels or that is was lowered on the policy, so fix that then got a renewal few months back and well that put my prmuim up and drop the total valve of the car to just over 11000 from 18000 (in 12months) and half the stuff wasnt on the car agian like stereo and wheels agian. So aftet that told them to stick it and went to SGIO who did agreed valve of$24000 which is what it would cost me to replace the car and everything on it and for only like $5 more a month....... yeah go figure that one out.

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2008, 10:49 PM   #14
GUTLES
Adam.

I was with CGU for about 6 years, great company to deal with, but they wouldn't touch my XR8 because it has a modified exhaust. I went with QBE as they we're the cheapest, haven't had any problems so far..

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 03:09 AM   #15
wingTS

QBE nearly recently purcahsed CGU....

Try going through whoever you bank with as oppossed to a broker as they can normally get good rates with their preferred insurer.
wingTS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 11:11 AM   #16
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingTS
...Try going through whoever you bank with as oppossed to a broker ...
Sounds good in theory.

In practice, Westpac's insurer (Vero?) won't even touch my GT-P.

And, they don't even offer multi-policy discount (my home and contents is with Westpac Insurance), so I'm considering moving everything once I settle on who to insure the car with.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 12:24 PM   #17
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Tried Shannons? They are good to deal with, multi vehicle discounts, limited use policies, extreme use policies etc etc.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post