Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-08-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Default Bland colours, new cars.

Why are the colours for new cars these days becoming so bland?? Why so little choice??

Look at the colour charts, you have a Red, Maroon, Black, Dark(ish) Blue, White and about 18 different Silvers and Greys!!! God damn!!

My wife just bought a new Toyota Corolla. Wanted a light colour but not refrigerator White. Her last 2 cars were Red so didn't want that again. Take out the dark colours and Silver was all that was left!! (BTW, very happy with the 'rolla, great little car).

Apply the same thinking to most manufacturers and that's what the outcome will be!!

Look at Ford. I reckon the G6 is a good thing especially with the added value goodies, free dedicated LPG and free on roads but again, only bland colours available. All the good colours are only available in XR6 and of course, no LPG option.

I'm so over Silver. When the time comes I'll be going for a loud colour for sure!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 12:41 PM   #2
Dezza
Parts bin special

Toyota aren't exactly known for exciting colour charts. Look at when the previous Camry came out. I recall an article saying that they wanted to get rid of their refrigerator image so none of the press cars or ones used for advertising would be white.... so they painted them beige instead!

With Ford, at least they've been making an effort since the AUIII (the arrival of Blueprint). Before that, their colour chart was pathetic. The XRs have a massive choice. Most of those colours wouldn't really suit the classier image of the G6E though.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Yeah. Annoys me. I always used to buy colorful cars (yellow, red, green), but colour choices these days are very limited. Take out Black, charcoal, silver and white & there isn't much left.

It's a sad reflection of the times we live in.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 01:54 PM   #4
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i blame today tonight, clearly anyone driving a car thats not a shade of silver/white is a Hoon!

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
Yeah. Annoys me. I always used to buy colorful cars (yellow, red, green), but colour choices these days are very limited. Take out Black, charcoal, silver and white & there isn't much left.

It's a sad reflection of the times we live in.

not really much different than days of old i believe,
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 06:42 PM   #6
chubbz80
chubbz80

yeah it sad i brought a new lancer and if ya didn want black or white the next thing was silver not to much to choose from now what ever happen to the deep metalic colours
chubbz80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 06:49 PM   #7
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

i think toyota, nissan, hyundai have so boring colours i think it maybe just me
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 09:49 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Yup....

My car used to be white. When I was buying, there was nothing that came in a bright yellow. The Mazda 2 and Swift have some pretty funky colours however. That Yellow Swift may just tempt me! But I think the larger and more expensive a car becomes the more boring in colour. Anything bright and colourful seems to be 1.5l small cars, targeted at young people, mostly girls...
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 09:56 PM   #9
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's your problem, you say that you want exciting colours but go and buy a Corolla. Not a hope in hell of getting an exciting colour off Toyota.

Look at the Japenese flag,they got a peice of white material and put a big red dot in the midle. What hope have you got.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2008, 09:12 AM   #10
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8
There's your problem, you say that you want exciting colours but go and buy a Corolla. Not a hope in hell of getting an exciting colour off Toyota.

Look at the Japenese flag,they got a peice of white material and put a big red dot in the midle. What hope have you got.
Fair enough. The 'rolla was bought on merit and was the best deal. It was between that or the Mazda 3. Colour availability was only a secondary consideration. My wife is happy with the Silver and it is a good colour, it's just that it seems like 2 out of 3 cars on the road are Silver!! If she could have gotten Yellow she would have.

On the other hand, when the time comes for me to get a newie and if I go an XR then there's all the colours of the rainbow to choose from!! If I go a G series then it's the same old ho-hum colour range the other manufacturers offer. Toyota is not the only offender!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2008, 09:23 AM   #11
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Mazda's colours are pretty good... our 3 is copper red (which is also used on the MX-5 and a few others). When we bought it the colour charts had some nice colours, some quite garish. I think that new green holden color is bloody awful. Like a 70s kitchen only on the outside of a car.

BTW there's a difference between 'exciting' and 'garish' - bright yellows and bright greens or oranges or even bright pink are what I would term 'garish'. Of course it aids your vehicle's visibility so that's a positive.

I deliberately avoided darker coloured cars (though ours is still reasonably dark) because people are blind M.F.s!!!!