Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-07-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Chrysler To Sell JEEP To TATA ?

EXCLUSIVE-Chrysler in talks with Tata, Fiat-sources
07.30.08, 6:39 PM ET

By Kevin Krolicki and Poornima Gupta

DETROIT (Reuters) - Chrysler is in talks to lease U.S. production capacity and share retail distribution with Fiat (nyse: FIA - news - people ) SpA , allowing the Italian automaker to return the U.S. market for the first time in 25 years, people briefed on the talks said Wednesday.

Chrysler, the No. 3 U.S. automaker, has also been in discussions with India's Tata Motors Ltd (nyse: TTM - news - people ) about selling its Jeep Wrangler SUV in India and possibly other Asian markets, said the sources, who were not authorized to discuss the negotiations.

A spokesman for Chrysler, which is controlled by private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management LP, declined to confirm the talks.

A Tata representative had no immediate comment. Cerberus and Fiat representatives could not be reached immediately.

Fiat Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne, credited with steering a turnaround behind the Alfa Romeo, Lancia and Fiat brands, has said Fiat is looking for a partner for its return to the North American market.

Fiat is riding the popularity of its Fiat Cinquecento (500) compact car in Europe and Brazil.

A Chrysler tie-up with Tata could potentially open a new market for the Wrangler, the best-selling model from the brand widely seen as Chrysler's strongest.

One investment banker, who declined to be identified, said it was likely that a product-centered tie-up with Chrysler could lead to a larger deal over time.

"You could definitely see this evolve into something," the banker said. "It would make sense for Tata to buy Jeep if this partnership went through ... and Chrysler could really do with selling a brand and getting some cash."

Old 31-07-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

TATA's a huge company in India, much like Holden is here, would be a wise move
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
XW 393
"WHEEZER" POWERED

I thought Jeep's were already Tata ......... wait, thats kaka sorry.
Old 31-07-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
Joey_Falcon
Powered By Ford

So let me get this straight, Chrysler is going to sell Jeep to TATA, and Fait in going to merge with Chrysler to sell to the US market?
Joey_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's American Motors revisited ..

AMC merged with Renault, killed off what was left of the company and Chrysler bought the carcass for the Jeep marque.

Chrysler merge with Fiat, kill off Chrysler, Chrysler sell Jeep toTata.

Maybe someone should convince Toyota to buy Jeep? Jeep seems pretty good at killing of parent companies (Willy's, Kaiser, AMC) ... Toyota would be a nice scalp!!
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
Joey_Falcon
Powered By Ford

I also herd off someone, correct me if im wrong, that TATA also bought Landrover?
Joey_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 01:58 PM   #7
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip_Chaser
I also herd off someone, correct me if im wrong, that TATA also bought Landrover?
True, along with Jaguar.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 02:15 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

You see alot of the TATA's in India look like Jeeps. There is a market over there (I can understand since the roads are terrible (you average 50k/h on the national highway).

Also TATA would be buying everything it can, they have alot of money and have their finger in so many industries. Just a few of my head are cars, trucks, heavy machinery, steel manufacturing, mobile network and satelite TV. There would be more but I cant remember or don't know.
Old 31-07-2008, 02:21 PM   #9
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Also TATA would be buying everything it can, they have alot of money and have their finger in so many industries. Just a few of my head are cars, trucks, heavy machinery, steel manufacturing, mobile network and satelite TV. There would be more but I cant remember or don't know.
My family used to francise TATA Vehicles going back 6odd years ago ... they also do Buses, Tea, and Alcohol if im correct?
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 02:22 PM   #10
Joey_Falcon