Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-07-2008, 12:40 PM   #31
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_daly
it's used alot in racing, especially drifting.
I think your confusing double clutching with a compression lock......

I did try it a couple of times in my T but it didn't work too well; was popping the clutch out too late
Old 29-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #32
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprjenkins
No your right, the brake pedal sits higher in my BA XR6T, makes it hard to blip the throttle with your heel and when you do hit the throttle the throttle response is crap because its electronic and not very sensitive.

I'm kinda wondering if its even worth learning in the BA because its so hard to do.
Its not that hard and if you have a flash box you can set up the throttle with a 1:1 response and make it so much nicer.

In the B series I just put 3/4 of my foot on the brake and twist my foot to push throttle. Using side of foot. Hard bit for me is getting my left foot onto the brake around the steering collum

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 01:43 PM   #33
tetgreg888

I do this all day every friggin day in my truck. you don`t fully disengage the clutch when changing gears, just enough to get out of gear and give the go pedal a squirt , about 500 - 600 rpm above your currant rpm, light squeeze on the clutch again then it should drop easily into gear thats downshifting. With up shifting you clutch the same but try to complete your gear change before your revs drop by about the same 500 - 600 rpm. It also depends a bit on your road speed. I now couldn`t be frigged with clutches so I change gears up shift without using the clutch and down shifting I use the clutch but slow down using the brakes then miss 2 or 3 gears. take a bit of practice and even now after 10 years you still it up occasionally
tetgreg888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #34
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
Not sure about racing but for someone driving a modern car on the road the main benefit is that it increases the size of the drivers ego and is a good skill to boast about on the internet and other places.

I'm not seriously having a go at anyone but whenever this subject comes up on an internet forum the responses seem to descend into some kind of primitive, body part measuring contest :

Like i said, i'm not having a go at anyone, its just something amusing that i've noticed.

EDIT: I've tried it a few times in my BA but as someone posted earlier, the brake feels way too high. I've got bigish feet but it feels like i need clown shoes on. Tried it once or twice in my old work car (90's rodeo) and while the pedals in that felt perfect, i was still pretty bad at it

EDIT2: I guess that means i don't measure up
Yes the first time I experienced "double clutching" in a car was from a ricer who would rev his piece of junk Hyundai out between gear changes.

I could see no benefit in it whatsoever.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #35
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's something I'm going to have to learn one day - my father-in-law has a 1939 Willys sedan which is sitting in the back of his garage - it was restored sometime ago and I am thinking about getting it back up and running. Whilst i've been driving manuals for years - it'll be interesting to see if I can "master" a non-synchro box!

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 02:08 PM   #36
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

i find my brakes have enough of a dead zone to line the brake and accel pedal up, and like john said, its more of the use of the side of the foot in a ba than heel and toe. LHS of the foot on the brake, RHS just touching the accel.

double clutching is defn not required in a car with syncros. bringing the revs up with the clutch still engaged works just as well.
Old 29-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #37
snakeoil
Snake Oil

I'm kinda wondering if its even worth learning in the BA because its so hard to do.

Smooth equals fast and as one poster mentioned a rough change down will really upset a bike which equals hello trees cows barb wire fence good bye gonads

Cheers

2015 Mercedes C180 Coupe White/Black
2011 FG GS Ute manual #246 White/Black
2010 Chrysler Sebring limited hardtop Silver/grey
2003 UX Explorer V8 White/grey
2008 Suzuki Bandit GSF 1250 Black
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour Black
2011 Glastron GT 185 (USA made bowrider)White/Black
1988 Komatsu FG10 Forklift
FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria #975
Ullysees Member #18,554
snakeoil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 08:02 PM   #38
Sloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza!
It's kind of like getting reverse in the EA. It doesn't have a reverse synchro, so if I try to force it, it'll crunch. Be gentle and it usually goes in pretty easily.
In my EB gently takes too long. I quickly formed a habit of slotting it into 4th, then reverse, and it goes in smooth as. I know why but it works. It makes me cringe when anyone else drives my car and crunches the hell out of it trying to select reverse.
Old 30-07-2008, 10:29 PM   #39
old_mate
Smash the Boost

for all those out there who cant heel toe a BA dont worry, i can't either. my old EL was way better for it.

however you will notice most racecars have pedal boxes far different to a normal road car, its very easy to do it when the pedals are in the right spot. a mate let me steer his Gemini race car that he modded the pedal positions, was real hard to drive at first because the throttle and brake were pretty close together but you soon got the hang of it and man, it was real fun.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 12:05 AM   #40
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I 'heel-toe' in my AU ute on downshifts. Had one of the guys at work say about it to another bloke there and i said to go and try changing down gears in a hurry and not have the car jerk and shudder when you release the clutch, he rides motos so you'd think he'd understand why. Sounds and feels 'mean' to the driveline.

When i'm in the truck i drive like tetgreg888, generally no clutch on the way up and clutch out - no clutch in going back down gears, found it heaps easier to get into gear on the way down without the clutch.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 08:09 PM   #41
snakeoil
Snake Oil

practise practise practise once you have learnt it you can do it almost any car and you will notice how much difference it actually makes.

An associate of mine has recently bought a very high powered car but cant heel and toe or left foot brake...................wont be long now before he and the road part company.Compression lock up in a high speed corner speed equals terminal oversteer

2015 Mercedes C180 Coupe White/Black
2011 FG GS Ute manual #246 White/Black
2010 Chrysler Sebring limited hardtop Silver/grey
2003 UX Explorer V8 White/grey
2008 Suzuki Bandit GSF 1250 Black
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour Black
2011 Glastron GT 185 (USA made bowrider)White/Black
1988 Komatsu FG10 Forklift
FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria #975
Ullysees Member #18,554
snakeoil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #42
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth
In my EB gently takes too long. I quickly formed a habit of slotting it into 4th, then reverse, and it goes in smooth as. I know why but it works. It makes me cringe when anyone else drives my car and crunches the hell out of it trying to select reverse.
Yeah, my method usually works but not always. Once in a while I put it in 5th, then into reverse. I find 5th works just as good as 4th.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 09:33 PM   #43
lukep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
Not sure about racing but for someone driving a modern car on the road the main benefit is that it increases the size of the drivers ego and is a good skill to boast about on the internet and other places.

I'm not seriously having a go at anyone but whenever this subject comes up on an internet forum the responses seem to descend into some kind of primitive, body part measuring contest :

Like i said, i'm not having a go at anyone, its just something amusing that i've noticed.

EDIT: I've tried it a few times in my BA but as someone posted earlier, the brake feels way too high. I've got bigish feet but it feels like i need clown shoes on. Tried it once or twice in my old work car (90's rodeo) and while the pedals in that felt perfect, i was still pretty bad at it

EDIT2: I guess that means i don't measure up
It helps reduce wear and tear on your clutch a bit to.I do what your on about on freeway after coasting down a hill.i bring revs up to speed let clutch out.No friction
lukep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 09:55 PM   #44
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

On a modern car just a blip on throttle is enough to prevent compression lock up. In most cases people don't even double clutch properly.. Gear boxes have much closer ratios now.. I often do it if I change down two or three gears at a time especially turning into corner or roads look like they have oil on road..Like going over blue mountains etc..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 10:07 PM   #45
3vXT

I think some people (myself included judging from the edit in my post) are confusing 'double clutching' with 'heel and toeing'. They are two different things aren't they? I realize you can combine them but they can be mutually exclusive too.
Every Endurance round of the V8's i've ever seen shows the pedal cam view with the drivers banging though the gears on the way up and heel and toeing on the way down, i've never seen them double clutching.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post