Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 16-07-2008, 09:28 PM   #31
swapper

Quote:
Actually the scientific community is still well divided on the issue.
http://www.oism.org/pproject/ 31,000 US scientists so far have signed a petition against the Kyoto treaty. There have also been petitions to the UN secretary general about the bad science coming out of the IPCC. The only people who are sure about this, are the Media. Disaster movies sell for a reason.
there is not one major scientific study or organization that has concluded that global warming isn't human caused, its only to which degree we have caused it, and to how big the effects will be, that they are divided.

the IPCC might not be perfect, just through their high profile work they are always going to get criticism, but the fact remains, he scientific community still generally rates them as the most knowledgeable organization on the issue of global warming, they are hardly a shoddy operation, they have also won a Nobel peace prize for their work

Quote:
It doesnt cost the government 1 CENT. It costs us the tax payers the money, and Labour was voted in on a platform of eco-happytreefriends, so the mob has spoken and they are only now realizing what the bill is for services rendered.

using that argument, nothing costs the government a cent, because they pay for everything through taxes.
in the coming years they will pay out more $$$ than they get directly through "carbon taxes" etc
it costs them through pressures that the issue puts on the economy, which was Howard's 2nd big argument for not signing the Kyoto agreement.

anyway like i said, im not trying to start an argument about the issue, its been done to death, i was just merely correcting 2 comments

the 1st being "governments around the world are pushing this crap down our throats and scientists and geologists are saying the opposite." as i said every national scienific acadamy from the industrialised world has supported the theory of human caused global warming

And the 2nd being the fact that the average temperature on earth in the Jurassic period was 50 degrees.

Last edited by swapper; 16-07-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 16-07-2008, 09:51 PM   #32
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
It doesnt cost the government 1 CENT. It costs us the tax payers the money, and Labour was voted in on a platform of eco-happytreefriends, so the mob has spoken and they are only now realizing what the bill is for services rendered.

I froth at the mouth about this.. the last election was determined on a campaign of attracting green votes and angst about work choice reforms.. so far green/kyoto has turned out to be damn expensive and without any solid basis to justify cost or reason, there was a damn good reason why it wasnt signed by the previous govt....., the second reason has quietly been swept under the rug without even a hint of action.... and will probably eventually get wheeled out in a very watered down version.

Old 16-07-2008, 10:06 PM   #33
AuFairlaneV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Disclaimer: This is an unashamed rant, so switch off now if you don't like reading these sort of posts.

I was waiting for a coffee at a shop outside my place of work this morning and I quickly flicked through the 'Drive' section of The Age newspaper. Anyway, there was a short snippet on the XR6 Turbo. In a nutshell, whilst the writer was quite pleased with the car itself, the comment was made that he doesn't really like "muscle cars" and every time they review a car like this, they get bombarded with emails expressing outrage that Drive would test such a car. He finished of fby saying he wouldn't own one because its just too politically incorrect nowadays.

Now, is this guy for real? Is 'Drive' seriously happy to print this sort of crap? The article read exactly like they were apologetic to the general populace to text a 'performance' car. I assume that the usual global warming thing is pushing this attitude. So, the agenda of the writer in question is now going to be dictated by the emails he receives from cretins and nimrods who have nothing better to do but whinge and push their own political agenda onto everyone else. If these guys are so limp-wristed, then they should stick to test driving Honda Prius and 4 cylinder Camry's or better still, stop printing "Drive" each week full stop which will save countless tonnes of C02 emmissions and paper wasteage. Now THAT would actually be good for the environment, rather than virtually apologising for testing a performance car.

On a wider scale, I've just about had a gutful of the way the global warming issue has morphed from scientific analysis into a new religious cult. Don't get me wrong, I have deep concerns about the effects of climate change on our planet, but in traditional Australian fashion, its turned into a trendy political bandwagon. If you're on it, its a soul cleansing experience, letting you take the moral high ground and point fingers at others. If you're not, then you're an enviro-vandal of the worst kind, a non-believer, and you're given the socially equivalent punishment of being burned at the stake. All perspective has been lost. China builds a coal fired power station every 10 days. Australia's carbon emmissions equate to 1.5% of total world output, yet we have people and governments running around here trying to tell you what car you can drive, or proposing to levy V8s and 4WDs with more tax due to their carbon footprint. We're luanching into a carbon trading scheme where nobody knows how it'll work, and even less people know how much it will cost our economy. Honestly, we've lost the plot here. People in general (pushed by the media) are going hysterical. The moral lecturing and grandstanding around this issue is getting out of hand, and I for one, have just about had enough.

Rant over.

:

Sounds like the sunday telegraph cars section (actually it might be called drive not sure) nearly every week no matter what car is reviewed a negative comment about large aussie cars is thrown in. Usually about them being too big and too thirsty, poor technology or no one cares about rwd no more, the usual things aussie cars get bagged out for. I get a laugh out if it as I think he is just trolling people who are passionate about aussie cars, probably enjoys hateful letters he is sent.
Old 16-07-2008, 10:33 PM   #34
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapper
there is not one major scientific study or organization that has concluded that global warming isn't human caused, its only to which degree we have caused it, and to how big the effects will be, that they are divided.
So even though we dont know if this is a climate shift, or an aberration, you have somehow concluded we are to blame? So what caused the last climate shift which occurred pre-industry which was far higher in the same period? Co2 is the poorest excuse ive heard, especially as water vapour is a far more powerful greenhouse gas, yet you cant measure that through an ice core can you? So lets blame Co2.

And this, all based on 50 - 100 years of temperature rise, which isnt as high as other periods in the past. You cant make climatic predictions on 100 years of data, short of the ground catching on fire every time the sun hits it. We are making economic decisions based on 45 seconds of a blip in climate change. Funnily enough, every time a study finds destruction on the horizon, there seems to be cash to fund the next expedition. Its a nice little business that employs many and pays well.

31,000 scientists have reviewed the same findings, and disagree, thats an impressive amount of disagreement.

Quote:
the IPCC might not be perfect, just through their high profile work they are always going to get criticism, but the fact remains, he scientific community still generally rates them as the most knowledgeable organization on the issue of global warming, they are hardly a shoddy operation, they have also won a Nobel peace prize for their work
And yet the scientific community still disputes their findings, regardless of their popularity contest achievements. http://co2sceptics.com/news.php?id=1551

Its a theory, it hasnt had enough peer review, yet its reported by the media as fact without any thought, and most people dont have enough knowledge to question the reports. This is my issue.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 16-07-2008, 10:37 PM   #35
US kills Falcon

I stopped buying The Age because the Drive section has become lifestyle supplement rather than a proper motoring section with credible articles.
Old 16-07-2008, 10:51 PM   #36
swapper

Quote:
you have somehow concluded we are to blame?
I havent concluded this, every major scientific academy has, i base my opinions on what i read (scientific journals, not media) and the resounding consensus is it is human caused, at least to a large degree.

i wouldnt take that 31000 too seriously they are just names on an online petition.....which is worth a grain of salt.

dont forget there are also plenty of people employed to try and dismiss the theories

i understand your issue with the media reporting it as fact, but thats the media, hey have always been like that, and always will.

but i really didn't want to start up this argument again, i was just trying to correct those 2 points
Old 16-07-2008, 10:53 PM   #37
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Everything he said
I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Really enjoyed it.

On another level, I am not convinced that humans are going to destroy the planet yet. Although it is our everyday job to not purposely pollute by littering or dumping poisons etc., but this doomsday mentality that has been placed upon our shoulders as consumers is a joke.

I will say pretty loudly that I didn't vote Rudd because I didn't feel he had a basis for many of his policies, other than to appeal to the masses, which I know is naive, but I just didn't like what he offered.

While in gesture (his speciality it seems) signing the Kyoto agreement was a good thing, I don't think it's going to help us much, placing more strain on "working families".

Don't snap my undies.
Old 16-07-2008, 11:14 PM   #38
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I havent concluded this, every major scientific academy has, i base my opinions on what i read (scientific journals, not media) and the resounding consensus is it is human caused, at least to a large degree.

Because none of those scientists producing those reports have a vested interest in continuing to pump out doom and gloom?

"Hey guys, chillax, nothing to worry about.....oh whats that, no more funding?

Shizen."

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
Old 16-07-2008, 11:32 PM   #39
swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
Because none of those scientists producing those reports have a vested interest in continuing to pump out doom and gloom?

"Hey guys, chillax, nothing to worry about.....oh whats that, no more funding?

Shizen."
its not that simple, and again there are also plenty of people that get funding and have a vested interest in disproving the 1st group of scientists
Old 17-07-2008, 02:59 AM   #40
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
...water vapour is a far more powerful greenhouse gas...
I'm no science boffin, but if that's true, the hydrogen engine could be more of a problem than a solution.
Old 17-07-2008, 07:48 AM   #41
desGT

swapper, I am with you. I just deleted a lot of what I was going to say, but suffice it to say I also read the science mags and they have convinced me that WE have caused a problem (yes, I drive a V8). Try buying a couple of New Scientist for a while and check out another considered opinion.
Old 17-07-2008, 09:54 AM   #42
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

As a New Scientist subscriber and an avid reader of the debate that this topic has generated during the last couple of years, I am somewhat reminded of the hype that surrounded the pollution issues of the 70's where it was widely predicted that we'd all be unable to breathe the air around us by the latter part of the 1980's - air quality being the issue most likely to achieve government funding at that particular time.

As far as I am aware this actually didn't kill us all (if it did I'm a better ghost writer than I realised) and while some actions were taken on these issues, there are countries that didn't adopt them (try China and Taiwan for current air quality) yet we still continue to inhabit the planet.

No doubt there are some real issues that need to be addressed in all of the hype but weeding out the truth from the hype is not a task for us poor average laymen but we can hardly rely on the media for unbiased reporting - or indeed (and much worse) the scientific community who have divided views as well.

History has been littered with doomsayers predicting the end of the world for one reason or another - all that has changed is the size of their audience.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 17-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #43
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Well said Russ
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
- all that has changed is the size of their audience.

Cheers
Russ
If there is a problem on the horizon, it's the ever increasing size of that audience .

IMHO
Old 17-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #44
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
As a New Scientist subscriber and an avid reader of the debate that this topic has generated during the last couple of years, I am somewhat reminded of the hype that surrounded the pollution issues of the 70's where it was widely predicted that we'd all be unable to breathe the air around us by the latter part of the 1980's - air quality being the issue most likely to achieve government funding at that particular time.

As far as I am aware this actually didn't kill us all (if it did I'm a better ghost writer than I realised) and while some actions were taken on these issues, there are countries that didn't adopt them (try China and Taiwan for current air quality) yet we still continue to inhabit the planet.

No doubt there are some real issues that need to be addressed in all of the hype but weeding out the truth from the hype is not a task for us poor average laymen but we can hardly rely on the media for unbiased reporting - or indeed (and much worse) the scientific community who have divided views as well.

History has been littered with doomsayers predicting the end of the world for one reason or another - all that has changed is the size of their audience.

Cheers
Russ
Well actually the pollution problems in those days are different to what is being talked about today but largely those problems WERE avoided because things like catalytic converters, leaner combustion etc were implemented by manufacturers to try and cleanup motor vehicles... residents of places like LA and large sections of Asia are all too familiar with how dangerous smog and other pollutants can be. California has strict emissions rules for a very very good reason and its not because some 'greenies' have hijacked the place. The governator is a big proponent of emissions laws - and he's a republican who drives or drove a hummer!

My partner spent 2 1/2 weeks in Thailand and came home early because her asthma had gotten so bad due to all the pollution in places like Bangkok.
Old 17-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #45
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:

i wouldnt take that 31000 too seriously they are just names on an online petition.....which is worth a grain of salt.

dont forget there are also plenty of people employed to try and dismiss the theories

i understand your issue with the media reporting it as fact, but thats the media, hey have always been like that, and always will.

but i really didn't want to start up this argument again, i was just trying to correct those 2 points
You are an ignoramus.
One scientific community populated with scientists non climate related are the ones pushing this barrow. Idiots like Tim Flannery a paleantologist (bones) are pushing this crap for tenure and financial reasons, yet of the 1500 signatures that were on the IPCC report over 500 are requesting removal after reviewing the flawed model that this supposition is based on. Furthermore, blanket remarks such as "Everyone agrees" doesn't make this true at all; if you were in a court room, you would be laughed out. Your opinion is subjective but seldom factual. If yo uwish to be an alarmist whom bases his information on Wikipedia, then expect to be challenged on your dubious and scandalous assertions.
As SourBastard has said, over 31000 scientists have put to signature that they disagree with the whole global warming farce (read global government new world order) and the UN has pushed it to gain respect amongst the west after being proven time and time again that they are useless. The reason Krudd is doing this is to suck up to the UN as he wishes to become a senior diplomat.
Historically, we were hotter in the 1930's than now and even the IPCC agrees. Furthermore, Mars has gotten hotter and cooler throughout the solar cycle phenomonon that occurred 20 years ago, and temperatures on earth have cooled 2 degrees celsius since 1998.
The whole global scare campaign is for leftist, socialist and communist losers who have no desire for individual prosperity when they can instead dictate how others should live. Here's a veritable fact for you though; those who vote with left intentions as well as subscribe to the climate farce have on average an IQ 10-20 points lower than average.
Look it up, you'll be amazed as to how dumb your lot really are.

Quote: