Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 09:13 AM   #1
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Default Fuel company rolling boycotts

Guys I'm proposing a boycott of certain fuel companies on a regular basis in order to try to get prices down, if we can show them that we control prices and not them then they will submit to our demands for lower prices. Trust me once they see a huge drop in profits they will have no choice.

It was recently pointed out to me that you would have to boycott one and one only company, say for example BP which was the example given, at a time in order to show them all they are only as important as we choose to make them.

As they are one of the largest chains and only keep getting bigger, if they were to lose a weeks profits they would be putting prices down fairly quick to get people through the pumps, even a day could make a difference really. I have been saying for a long time if more commuters used public transport and depended less on fuel then the drop in sales would see fuel companies drop prices to entice people back into there cars.

It's basic economics, if you have high demand with limited resource/providers the price will be sky high and only ever increase, however if your demand suddenly drops then you need to get people back and the easiest way is to drop prices. This would not only show the oil/fuel companies as well as the Arabs that we are the ones in control and not them but at the same time be a shyte load better for the air we breathe.

For the truck drivers unable to attend the July28th shut down in particular then I think we need to do something like a boycott of one of the major players, once we can show them that it's us and not them that are in charge they will quickly come into line. Thing is it needs to be done on a regular basis to keep them in line.

So if everyone is in favor of this approach then I will write up a little message that you can each then forward on to other truck drivers/operators/owners as well as all your car mates that you each know and they can do the same giving it a snowball effect. This way we can really hit where we need to hit at the oil companies themselves. By doing an sms relay we could have it around the country within an hour or so which would make things work much quicker.

This is something that if it was done on a world wide scale would really bring the oil companies to there collective knees, then we could dick slap them on there foreheads

I really think this is the way to go (no not the slapping thing)

p.s. those who can car pool but haven't started yet I strongly advise you to start as soon as possible this will also aide in showing fuel companies we are not as dependant as they prey we are, as a side benefit this will also help to reduce the traffic on our roads and clear up quite a bit of congestion.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #2
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Another side benefit may also be a reduction in the world food shortage which is curremtly being blamed primarily on increased ethanol fuel production, if we don't use as much oil based fuel then we won't need much ethanol either so the food shortage can be reversed or at least minimised.

Then of course their is the environmental impact on our quality of air and green house gas emissions.

Think about it folks we do hold the key.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:26 AM   #3
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

I got sent an e-mail a few weeks ago about boycotting BP as they are the biggest price driver on the market. I posted it on another site and all people were interested in was they had the best fuel. Here it is.

LET'S JUST DO IT ! ! !

THIS IS NOT THE 'DON'T BUY' PETROL FOR ONE DAY, BUT IT WILL SHOW YOU HOW WE CAN GET PETROL BACK DOWN TO $1.00 PER Litre....hopefully "THIS STORY TAKES TOO LONG TO GET TO THE PUNCH LINE. READ ON FOR THE FULL EXPLANATION BUT BASICALLY WE NEED TO BOYCOT THE BIGGEST PUSHER OF FUEL PRICES IN THE UPWARD DIRECTION. BOYCOT BP THAT'S ALL FOR NOW!"
This was originally sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. If you are tired of the gas prices going up AND they will continue to rise this winter, take time to read this PLEASE.
Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.
This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day' campaign that was going around last April or May!
It's worth your consideration. Join the resistance!!!!
We are going to hit $ 2.00 a litre and it might go higher!! Want petrol prices to come down?
We need to take some intelligent, united action. The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to 'hurt' ourselves by refusing to buy petrol.
It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.
BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can Really work. Please read on and join with us!
By now you're probably thinking petrol priced at about $1.50 is cheap.
It is currently $1.90 in NZ and $1.60 in Aus for regular unleaded.
Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a liter of gas is CHEAP at $1.50, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace...not sellers.
With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action.
The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their petrol! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.
How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying petrol.
But we CAN have an impact on petrol prices if we all act together to force a price war.
Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from BP the biggest price up driver company.
If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.
But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!
I am sending this note to 20 people. If each of us send it to at least ten more (20 x 10 = 200) ... And those 200 send it to at least ten more (200 x 10 = 2000 .... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over TWO MILLION consumers.
If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 20 million people will have been contacted!
If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... TWO HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!
Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all!
I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you!
Acting together we can make a difference.
If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO BELOW THE $1.50 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.
Simple ?send the message along to other and do not buy petrol from BP !!
Old 05-07-2008, 10:33 AM   #4
CJR09
RPO 77

personally I dont think there is much we can do about it - I'm for it but getting a large mass movement like this is quite a task - and in boycotting do you boycott fuel/oil product all together or just BP - the majority simple go to another and fill a competetors back pocket.....

have a read of this www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/
Old 05-07-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Not another one!!!!!
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 05-07-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'm boycotting ford dealerships until they reduce the price of the GT to $19,990 drive away no more to pay. if everyone does the same we can all have cheap GTs.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
RATT
In a Pug..

Lets boycott Saudi Arabia, then the price per barrel will come down!
Old 05-07-2008, 11:43 AM   #8
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

A huge drop in profits when you convince 5 other loons that this is a viable idea?
Old 05-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #9
Jezza_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
i'm boycotting ford dealerships until they reduce the price of the GT to $19,990 drive away no more to pay. if everyone does the same we can all have cheap GTs.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:11 PM   #10
TOASTED
JMM modded EF

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
: :

Guess the alcohol tax is turning people to mind altering drugs.
I drive : A heavily modified EF Fairmont with a JMM dev5 cam, worked head, 3.5" mandrel bent intake, exhaust, and a few other bits n pieces like a stally etc.

"She goes like a zirtek"

WANT A FAST FORD RING THIS BLOKE V V

Abbott Engines for HeadWork
20 years experience
PH Rob on (07) 5526 3883
Old 05-07-2008, 12:11 PM   #11
TOASTED
JMM modded EF

buuutttttt....... maybe they will have to put prices up to make up for the number of lost sales, so we could have the reverse effect

Guess the alcohol tax is turning people to mind altering drugs.
I drive : A heavily modified EF Fairmont with a JMM dev5 cam, worked head, 3.5" mandrel bent intake, exhaust, and a few other bits n pieces like a stally etc.

"She goes like a zirtek"

WANT A FAST FORD RING THIS BLOKE V V

Abbott Engines for HeadWork
20 years experience
PH Rob on (07) 5526 3883
Old 05-07-2008, 12:17 PM   #12
da_ilks

*shakes head*

Sick of these type of forward emails I always tend to receive every 3 months, this 'scheme' will never ever work. Ever. Ever. Ever. Fuel is needed, a boycott will last at most a week? The consumer has 0 power in this situation, unless the majority of the population suddenly decide to catch the train or ride a bike to work. And I ain't doing neither!

If you want someone to blame, go blame the 'investors' who are driving the prices of oil barrels up on rumours and speculation...
Old 05-07-2008, 12:19 PM   #13
Walkinshaw
Two > One

are people really this stupid

Old 05-07-2008, 12:29 PM   #14
OJ_Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might be alright for you city fellas to boycott bp and go to a competitor as they may be just down the road.
Where I live there is no alternative, if I want to run my car on 98 I have only one servo
that sells it. I'm not going to drive 500+ k's just to get fuel from a competitor. At a guess, I would say I am not alone in this situation.
Even if, by some miracle, everyone in this nation managed to avoid buying fuel from
bp for a whole week, OR even a month, I sincerely doubt it will affect the price in any way. The only thing I can see it doing would be to put a lot of small operators out in the sticks in severe financial hardship or possibly closing shop.
I definitely don't want to be responsible for that...

MMR Built short motor, all the good gear.
Kenne Bell 2.6 intercooled kit from BPR
Tuned by Xtreme Ford Tuning - 400rwkw
Build thread here
Old 05-07-2008, 12:37 PM   #15
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We're also forgetting fleets, etc who use fuel cards to run their fleet, I can't see them boycotting the fuel company they use.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:11 PM   #16
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTR
if we can show them that we control prices and not them then they will submit to our demands for lower prices.
We the people do control prices, through a free and open stock market. oil is a world traded commodity just like gold, silver, and Georgie Parker. Oil companies do NOT set the prices for oil.

But, please, feel free to inconvenience yourself for zero net result.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 05-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #17
plext
Forum Director

If only renewable fuels were as renewable as this subject seemingly is.

This is what, the 18th iteration of it?
Closed Thread