Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-10-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
chriscochris

Default Mechanics stuffed my central locking - NEED ADVICE

Hi all,
Just got my BA XR8 ute back from ultratune and the central locking is !!! The drivers door works but the passenger door wont lock at all, you can just hear a grinding sound whenever you push the botton on the remote fob or in the dash. I got the boss out to explain himself and he said that they didnt touch the electics or plug into the ECU or anything like that that could have caused the problem. ANyway, without much grounds or proof to argue on i left there, very ****ed off. I have been reading the report from the servivce (60,000km) and there was an item that reads "Check/lube all locks and hinges". So either they didnt do that part of the service that i paid for them to do or they did it and stuffed it up. Either way it appears as though i am being lied to.
Anyone out there have any ideas as to where this leaves me now (cos right now it leaves me at home cos i cant lock the ute, not even manually).
Thanks!

Last edited by Laminge; 29-10-2007 at 06:15 PM.
chriscochris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 05:22 PM   #2
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

pull your door trim off and have a look, its probably just one of the steel arms have come loose somehow and are no longer connected to the little plastic clips.
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Sounds like door lock actuator carked it. Not a biggy, $70 for a newy or dismantle/clean and pray its ok. About 1/2hrs job.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
burkie_21
wild xr8

our work ute does it all the time to. we found that it tends to happen when someone has opened the handle at the same time someone has pushed the botton. the end result is the steel arm coming off as stated by sfr_rob
burkie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 05:36 PM   #5
chriscochris

Does anyone out there think that the mechanics should be somewhat liable for the problem. I can see from their point of view that they dont know the history of the vehicle and they dont know that it has never happened before, but to me, if inspection and lubrication of the locks was part of the service i paid for, then it should either have been picked up as a problem (thats only if they actually did the check) or else they caused the problem. Its never happened before.
Old 29-10-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
burkie_21
wild xr8

unfortunately for you they are jus gonna say it ws alright when it was checked. i my self would be ****ed off to but places like that won't help you out and cover the cost. same thing has happened to me before to.
Old 29-10-2007, 05:45 PM   #7
chriscochris

Well then it looks like ill be taking off the doorskins then and having a look. ANyone give me a crash course in how they come off without ruining anything??
Old 29-10-2007, 05:51 PM   #8
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

-Pop off the little round cover inside the door handle, theres a screw behind it. Undo that and take the handle out, removing the cable connecting it

- Pop off the trim that runs along the handle. Theres a small slit along the bottom edge that you can (softly!) use a knife or screwdriver to pop off. Inside that there is two screws. Undo the screws but don't try to pull the handle off!

- There is two screws that you can see at the top of the trim on the sides, undo these

- along the bottom of the door there is two screws hidden behind caps. Take the caps off (again, be gentle).

- Pull out the trim! Be careful as if you are too rough you can break some of the tabs. But it does need a bit of force.

- Once you get it out a bit you will need to disconnect the power window (and wing mirror) cables. Also the lock button on the drivers side. Pull it away and your done!

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 06:00 PM   #9
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

take your time with it, chriscochris. nothing worse than getting frustrated and breaking something knowing that you shouldn't be fixing it in the first place.

the mechanic could be telling the truth. coincidences do happen. it may have just decided to crap itself while it was at the workshop.

if you get stuck with the door trim, jump on here and ask for help.
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 06:00 PM   #10
burkie_21
wild xr8

yeah anyone would think you done that a few times. haha. least this way if it ends up bein a buggered acctuator you will be able to lock the door to
Old 29-10-2007, 06:04 PM   #11
chriscochris

THanks heaps guys. Hopefully this fixes the problem! I wont be going to ultratune at wooloongabba again. Even in the freak chance that it broke between when i locked the vehicle in their carpark and when i went to unlock it when i picked it up, the manager wsa a complete f'wit about it. Before i could get the sentence out he was speaking to me and saying that the door hadn't even been opened. How would he know what the mechanics did exactly. ****er.
Old 29-10-2007, 11:44 PM   #12
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscochris
Does anyone out there think that the mechanics should be somewhat liable for the problem. I can see from their point of view that they dont know the history of the vehicle and they dont know that it has never happened before, but to me, if inspection and lubrication of the locks was part of the service i paid for, then it should either have been picked up as a problem (thats only if they actually did the check) or else they caused the problem. Its never happened before.
Nothing to do with lubing the lock. The lock actuator is attached to the bottom of the lock assy, it's sealed. It's very unlikely that Ultratune has done anything to cause it to fail. Unless something in or attached to the lock assy has dislodged or jammed you will find the actuator has failed which is not uncommon.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 10:01 PM   #13
redef

seems for someone with very little mechanical knowledge your very quick to point the finger and bag out a workshop.
AUXRV111 is spot on, putting drilube on a hinge wont wreck the central locking.
redef is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 10:13 PM   #14
KyleS
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redef
seems for someone with very little mechanical knowledge your very quick to point the finger and bag out a workshop.
Yeah jumping the gun a little bit.
Old 31-10-2007, 01:58 AM   #15
andyr6
Starter Motor

probably was a bad idea going to ultratune, heard some stories about them. Mate went to service his car there, he did a major service. Oil. plugs, filter etc. When he went home and checked, turns out they only did the oil and filter, plugs were the same.
andyr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #16
chriscochris

Quote:
Originally Posted by redef

I respect your post, however i do have a fair amount of mechanical knowledge (albeit not with my BA though). I previously had an EB XR8 and knew it in and out. But they way the guy there treated me was like he knew he was guilty and wasnt sympathetic or anything. He even tried to make me fell like when he said "oh by the way it needed a new air filter, thats an extra $70"!! And im thinking, ummm, sorry mechanic, when you said to me yourself "that we wont do anything extra without calling you first" i kind of thought you meant "we wont do anything extra without calling you first"!! Seriously, how do they run their business with such poor ethics. I got them to pull out the filter and put mine back in. Im no tight-***, thats for sure, but Id rather chip in a few more dollars and have a K&N thanks! I run my own business as a carpenter and i dont take it into my own hands to go against what the client is paying me to do, i do what they say. And to say stuff like "Oh well, its usually not a problem" makes me feel be-littled and thats why i dont trust them.
Anyways, fair comment to anyone who thinks i am jumping the gun with what i have said - stranger things certainly have happened before!! Cheers to all!
Old 31-10-2007, 08:04 PM   #17
chriscochris

Just out of interest, what do most shops (not the cars original factory) charge for minor service on BA XR8 Utes?? (oil, filter, brake fluid change, check belts, check for leaks etc. (Nothing electrical tho, no pluggoing into the ECU etc). Ball park figures. I paid $255
Old 31-10-2007, 08:07 PM   #18
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyr6
probably was a bad idea going to ultratune, heard some stories about them. Mate went to service his car there, he did a major service. Oil. plugs, filter etc. When he went home and checked, turns out they only did the oil and filter, plugs were the same.

Ultratune saved a crapload of $ the other day on a transmission and diff service and Ive gotta say omg what a great job they did on it, at the quoted price. The AU is now running the best it has for quite some time.

Mechanics are like people dude, some good some bad you just have to find the right one that suits what you are after.
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 01:28 AM   #19
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscochris
Hi all,
Just got my BA XR8 ute back from ultratune and the central locking is !!! The drivers door works but the passenger door wont lock at all, you can just hear a grinding sound whenever you push the botton on the remote fob or in the dash. I got the boss out to explain himself and he said that they didnt touch the electics or plug into the ECU or anything like that that could have caused the problem. ANyway, without much grounds or proof to argue on i left there, very ****ed off. I have been reading the report from the servivce (60,000km) and there was an item that reads "Check/lube all locks and hinges". So either they didnt do that part of the service that i paid for them to do or they did it and stuffed it up. Either way it appears as though i am being lied to.
Anyone out there have any ideas as to where this leaves me now (cos right now it leaves me at home cos i cant lock the ute, not even manually).
Thanks!
Your door motor gears have died.Ford use plastic gears in their motors from memory.My advice is whinge to ford .

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 10:41 AM   #20
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Your door motor gears have died.Ford use plastic gears in their motors from memory.My advice is whinge to ford .
I agree,as anyone else with any idea has said,there is no way lubing the locks & hinges has stuffed you actuator.

Coincidences happen.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #21
Ortovosh
Starter Motor

I just got my car back from a reputable suspension shop. I got the car lowered 20mm and the calipers painted... no drama there I hear you say...

But now I have :

ABS light on all the time....
Traction Control light on all the time...
Rear RHD central locking not working...

They said they will have a look at it... but dont like my chances of them paying for any of the problems.

:evil3: :evil3: :evil3:
: : :
Ortovosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 07:32 PM   #22
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Well items 1 & 2 are related to each other so I'd say there's one singular issue causing both of those, but central locking... well who knows. If its an E series and its got busted central locking that's pretty common but hey if its gone in ok and come out bad... then wtf?
Old 08-04-2008, 07:52 PM   #23
Ortovosh
Starter Motor

Its a BA XR8 MkI...

NOT HAPPY JAN !!!!!
Ortovosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 10:44 PM   #24
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look forward to replacing the ABS module mate, and the door locking, well refer to the posts in this post that explain what the problem is.
Things fail from time to time, just because it was recently in the possession of a mechanic doesn't mean they are to blame.
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 11:05 PM   #25
mojo
the doors

hey chris,
don't ever take your car to ultra tune,i would'nt let them work on my son's
bicycle,and they'll rob you blind.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2008, 07:30 AM   #26
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While I'm not an utratune fan,

it fair pi$$es me off when people take their car in for service and seem to think that that service then entitles the owner to complaine about any thing on that goes wrong for hte next 6 months mate its a falcon with 60,000clicks on it my BA had 2 lock motors replaced in that time get over it, for all you know it could have droped is guts when you droped that car off there not responcable, as for the lube hinges and locks, thats just it they dont remove door trims and lube the frigen central locking motor they get spray lube or a lube stick and goe over the hinge pins and lock mechanisems

O I forgot

end rant

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2008, 07:39 AM   #27
bwhinnen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortovosh
I just got my car back from a reputable suspension shop. I got the car lowered 20mm and the calipers painted... no drama there I hear you say...

But now I have :

ABS light on all the time....
Traction Control light on all the time...
Rear RHD central locking not working...

They said they will have a look at it... but dont like my chances of them paying for any of the problems.

:evil3: :evil3: :evil3:
: : :
They've probably just knocked one of the sensors off the hubs for the ABS...
bwhinnen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2008, 01:04 PM   #28
dave289
Banned

your door actuator has failed and was probably not caused by the mechanics.i had one go on my ba like that .one day was fine next thing ,stuffed.new actator installed all good.easy to do and not expensive.

as for the guy with abs light on after lowering suspension.when i lowered my ba the abs light was coming on to.i think i may have damaged one by stretching it acidently while putting in the suspension.i replaced the abs sensor and all ok .once again easy to do and not to expensive.this was probably caused by the mechanics and should be paid for by them.another common prob with the abs is you may feel the anti lock working at slow speed when slowing or coming to a stop when it should not be coming on,mainly in wet for some reason.this is caused by metal particles coming off the disc and getting stuck to the magnetic abs sensor.you need to remove it and clean all the fine metal shavings that will be stuck all over it causing the sensor to activate.this could also be the cuse of the ute.clean it out first then replace both if that does not work they should pay to replace the damaged sensor.

as for ultrtatune,i have not have any bad experiences personally but a mate of mine bought a brand new gt forrester a fews years back and was getting it serviced at ultratune instead of subaru for servicing.nnot long after warranty expired the gearbox and diff stuffed up.cost him$6,000.he seemed to think that diff and axels were not lubed and greased in accordance with servicing by ultratune he was going to take the matter up with them but i dont like his chances.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post