Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-04-2008, 08:08 PM   #1
Dezaman

Default refurbished engine vs second hand engine

imma sound like a complete dumbshit asking this but this is the only car related forum im attached to, so i owned an ex taxi, its gone now but it was on its second engine, the second engine was a refurbished engine, i know the theory behind a refurbished engine, its a second hand engine thats had the major parts that need replacing replaced so its like new, simple enough, but expensive, im thinking of purchasing another au (i couldnt resist im way to poor for a ba yet au's are so comfy even if they like spinning out) with redicously high km's, the original idea was to do what i always do and drive it till it dies a terrible death and buy a new engine, but how could i go to refurbish the engine by myself, what parts need replacing, new heads, new headgaskets, spark plugs, itd be a whole lot cheaper to do it myself then buy a new engine rite? the engines at 350,000 what can i do to get it running another 100,000 and will it cost me more then 400-500 bucks (the price i think reasonable for a new engine) thanks guys Deza

Dezaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 08:27 PM   #2
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezaman
imma sound like a complete dumbshit asking this but this is the only car related forum im attached to, so i owned an ex taxi, its gone now but it was on its second engine, the second engine was a refurbished engine, i know the theory behind a refurbished engine, its a second hand engine thats had the major parts that need replacing replaced so its like new, simple enough, but expensive, im thinking of purchasing another au (i couldnt resist im way to poor for a ba yet au's are so comfy even if they like spinning out) with redicously high km's, the original idea was to do what i always do and drive it till it dies a terrible death and buy a new engine, but how could i go to refurbish the engine by myself, what parts need replacing, new heads, new headgaskets, spark plugs, itd be a whole lot cheaper to do it myself then buy a new engine rite? the engines at 350,000 what can i do to get it running another 100,000 and will it cost me more then 400-500 bucks (the price i think reasonable for a new engine) thanks guys Deza
By a refurbished engine they generally mean things more complex than spark plugs.

Things such as pistons, valves, rods etc.

Yes you can get an AU engine quite easily for $400-$500. Then say that or probably more again to get a mechanic to fit it.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate if you have had very little experience working on engines trying to take on a hole rebuild by-yourself will end badly, you need a half decent quality tool kit to start with as well as a good idea of what you are doing.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:41 PM   #4
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as far as rebuilding it goes, it depends what it needs, a re-ring kit, which is generally just piston rings, new valves and all gaskets, etc would probably set you back about $500, if you want pistons, probably a couple of hundred more, then consumables like oil etc maybe another hundred, but in saying that, is it's been looked after then it should go for another 100 000km if you treat it well. i think these days you're just better off getting a second hand one
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 08:44 PM   #5
Dezaman

yeh thanks i guess an engine rebuild is a little to extreme, ive installed a second hand engine before so it may take me a little while longer but ill drive her till she dies and install another engine, once more thanks for the help
Dezaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

A GOOD AU engine... Pay the extra to get low klr one...
Try to see wreck that it came out of to check condition and klrs ??,A motor "and auto" is not a bad idea either....Then sell the old unit...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post