Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-04-2008, 01:53 AM   #1
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Default Economic write off.

Hey peoples. Does anyone know what percentage of the insurance (market) value of a vehicle the repairs have to come to before the insurer will decide that a car is an economic write off. Reason I ask is that the mrs car was hit by a tree branch in the wild weather yesterday and since it is only insured for around $3300, full comp but it is a '94 Lancer, we are trying to figure out weather or not they will repair it. I haven't seen the car yet, that will happen later today, but she says that it has hit the front drivers guard and smashed the windscreen. that suggests to me that the A pillar has also copped a hit.

Any thoughts?

07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 05:22 AM   #2
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I thought it was about 2/3 market value but I could be wrong.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
TZENU
XY Driv3r

I got told by AAMI recently that if costs of repairs (structural) exceed 75% of the insured value then they write it off..
Old 03-04-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
I got told by AAMI recently that if costs of repairs (structural) exceed 75% of the insured value then they write it off..
It is insured with AAMI so thanks for that.

Looks like the A pillars "may" have gotten out of it ok, there is still a chance they are both out of whack though as I found out today looking at it. Drivers guard is a mess, passenger guard looks like someone has taken to the top of it with a can opener, windscreen looks like someone threw a brick at it, bonnet looks like someone with a peg leg has been dancing on it and there are various other scratches and dents over most of the car. Bloody ugly it is.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:50 AM   #5
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Bad luck about the car russ. Hopefully it is all sorted without fuss for you. But...

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroo
Bad luck about the car russ. Hopefully it is all sorted without fuss for you. But...

Cheers
I was going to get some but the mrs yelled and said no, which I suppose is fair enough.

Just got off the phone to the panel beater and even he thinks it will be a write off, just too much damage and nearly the whole car would need to be sprayed. Now I wonder if I can convince the mrs that we NEED two V8's, get her a T3 perhaps
Old 03-04-2008, 11:13 AM   #7
HLC
Audi S3

its about 80%

i was told this when i got my car inspected, to get hail damage and a door scrape repaired through insurance. damn neighbour.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:42 AM   #8
mongoloid
chuck miller ford texas

Dont really see how this thread is worthless without pics as he was asking for information. The state of the car doesn't relate to the question, only your curiosity
1918 Buick, 1930 Studebaker, 1953 Ford Crestline, 1955 Buick Special, 1957 Cadillac, 1962 Cadillac, 1963 Ford Galaxie, 1966 Ford Fairlane, 1971 Chevelle, 1979 Trans Am, 2002 Ford TE50, 2005 CV8 Monaro, 2010 G6e Turbo, 2014 FPV GT-F
mongoloid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 11:48 AM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoloid
Dont really see how this thread is worthless without pics as he was asking for information. The state of the car doesn't relate to the question, only your curiosity
He was just wanting to see the damage. I'm quite curious myself to see what happened. LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #10
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

About 2/3rds sounds right when my Fiance had a big accident on her fairly new 06 Lancer (worth 20g) damage was said to be just over 12g and the car still got repaired instead of replaced. If they do fix it try go to your preferred repairer, for some reason they sent the car to thier preferred repairer (probably cause they were cheap pr!cks) and we are still finding little faults here and there
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #11
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90gl
About 2/3rds sounds right when my Fiance had a big accident on her fairly new 06 Lancer (worth 20g) damage was said to be just over 12g and the car still got repaired instead of replaced. If they do fix it try go to your preferred repairer, for some reason they sent the car to thier preferred repairer (probably cause they were cheap pr!cks) and we are still finding little faults here and there
It is with AAMI so we get bugger all say. Unfortunately they have sent it to a repairer that I personally have a problem with from a "repair" they did on my old EL.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:47 PM   #12
LTDHO
The one and only

The % rule is BS.

Actual calculation.

MV less ES = MCOR

MV = market value
ES = Estimate salvage (wreck) value
MCOR = Maximum cost of repairs.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 10:50 PM   #13
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

i am with AAMI and was had to either get 3 quotes or use their repairer- luckily thier repairer was also the guys i wanted to use. however the repairs are gaurunteed for life, so if anything goes wrong i take car back and start upsetting people.

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
v8falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 06:09 AM   #14
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

By the sounds of it, I'm sure it will be written off. Valued so low, it doesn't take much for them to scrap the car. My old Cortina which was in pristine condition was insured for $4k in about 1992 before I cleaned someone up that blasted a red. Didn't appear to be much damage in the front end but sadly it was written off. :( That car was an absolute cracker.

Look on the bright side, time to go car shopping.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post