Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-03-2008, 09:41 PM   #61
DENKO
Bseries hardcore

this has to be the biggest bs ever done, what happens if you dis like someones car, call up that hotline anmd give them a fine, en in my eyes
DENKO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2008, 09:45 PM   #62
chubbyba
1tuphute

to all who think nothing bad will happen if they get dobbed in think again. a mate of mine lost his license for a month because some1 said he done 9 "circles", and filled the street with smoke and almost hit pedestrians. he was doing a burnout fair enough, but i want to know where the 9 circles came from. i was in the car, he swung 2 doughies and went up the street a little bit, not a person in site! its his own fault, but people can make up sh!t and who do you think the police are going 2 believe?
chubbyba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #63
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So can I use this Hoon line to report speeding or tailgating truck drivers?

Or the old people who stop at a roundabout when are no vehicles coming?

Both of these are dangerous though not really Hoons, well some truck drivers I have seen passing every vehicle in sight while swerving all over the road squeezing into a car sized gap are Hoons I guess.
Buddy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2008, 10:49 PM   #64
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy 1
So can I use this Hoon line to report speeding or tailgating truck drivers?
Are these the ones stuck behind ACA camera cars??
Old 22-03-2008, 11:02 PM   #65
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGNT-XR
this has to be the biggest bs ever done, what happens if you dis like someones car, call up that hotline anmd give them a fine, en in my eyes
Exactly i have hoons my street leaving snakey wheel makes up the road. whats going to happen when i back onto the road while a cop cruises by...will he think there my tyre marks and the next door neibough who has rang the cops on me for reving an engine that 50% dismantled....it's a joke and waste of tax payers maoney
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2008, 11:07 PM   #66
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

doing burnouts, chirpies, and driving with a full open throttle when the car is fitted with a loud exhaust. doing all this in built up suburban areas. those who think this is cool or funny, well let me tell you that you're all a bunch of morons.

you come up with your excuses "oh, it was just a chirpie", "oh, it was just one doughnut", "oh, it only broke traction for 1 metre, not 10". do you really think people look at you and admire you? everyone that does this sort of crap in built up areas is regarded as a total retard by 99% of the reasonable population. only your retard mates will think you're a hero.

bring the hoon hotline on.
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2008, 11:15 PM   #67
WoodysXR6
Wanting a sprint!

LMAO ,This is gonna cause so much trouble its not funny
Old 23-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #68
bob^
LPS

What about people sitting in the right lane on a freeway doing 10km below the limit? If I can use the number for that, then I'm all for it.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #69
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

The Hoon Line is a great idea and one has been operating at Brimbank for years. Police can operate dealing with issues in a community far better with input from the community. People can call and leave their details and these calls become complaint files which are acted on where able by police, generally the local Traffic Management Unit. I would say is money well spent.
Old 23-03-2008, 01:35 PM   #70
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

It's not a case of dobbing in someone you don't like I'm afraid. There has to be at least two people to report the offence, or provide some pretty solid evidence otherwise it's the accusers case against the defenders.

In any case, if someone is reported for doing burnouts the police will need to get a statement about it from the person who reported it. They'd need to attend the scene and left the marks assumably left by the person reported etc.

Believe me when I say they can and will pursue these things.
Old 23-03-2008, 02:06 PM   #71
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

I think its a good idea in theory, we've just done a driving holiday 5000 kms in 3 weeks, 4 states. I would have worn this phone line out when I was driving through Victoria. Up here in QLD tailgating is policed very heavily (esp along Ipswich Mwy where it has cut the number of accidents) but down there in Vic it seems to be mandatory that if you can't pass then you sit as far up someones ar$% as you can. I now no longer wonder why Victorian drivers have so many road casualties if they are all like this.

Apologies to the Victorian drivers that are not like this as I know the majority of Vic drivers are hopefully not like this but as a tourist down there geez it leaves you with a bad impression of things.

Speed limits are there for a reason not because someone felt like screwing your day up!
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2008, 02:15 PM   #72
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirHenry
I think its a good idea in theory, we've just done a driving holiday 5000 kms in 3 weeks, 4 states. I would have worn this phone line out when I was driving through Victoria. Up here in QLD tailgating is policed very heavily (esp along Ipswich Mwy where it has cut the number of accidents) but down there in Vic it seems to be mandatory that if you can't pass then you sit as far up someones ar$% as you can. I now no longer wonder why Victorian drivers have so many road casualties if they are all like this.

Apologies to the Victorian drivers that are not like this as I know the majority of Vic drivers are hopefully not like this but as a tourist down there geez it leaves you with a bad impression of things.

Speed limits are there for a reason not because someone felt like screwing your day up!
no need to apologise. I remember when i drove to the G/C a few years ago, as soon as i got over the QLD border, i was tailgated and passed by virtually every car. Funny thing is they were all Victorians! :P There's a lot of arrogance in this state, but i'm sure the same applies everywhere.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2008, 02:32 PM   #73
Poetic Justice

The same could be said about the amount of Queenslanders who run red lights, don't indicate and stay in the right lane when they should move the hell over.

Every state has its flaws ;)
Old 23-03-2008, 03:18 PM   #74
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

i think holidays just increase your chances of seeing more hoons. more than if you stay at home , same goes for the tailgating , bad driving ,etc . i flaunt the law call me what you like but i dont do stupid things , burnouts in town for 1 .
Old 23-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #75
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by myts
Are these the ones stuck behind ACA camera cars??
lol umm no, these are the ones who tailgate me when I am on HWY with my cruise set on 100 or the ones I have seen passing a line of about 20 vehicles one by one who are sitting just below the speed limit etc etc...

My Wife actually knew that Lady who was on ACA who stopped her car in front of a Truck Driver who was tailgating her lol

Anyways I have had enough of it & will be reporting truck drivers who do this to the Hoonline & also the Freight Companies in the Future, so truck Drivers keep the hell of my :
Buddy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2008, 03:48 AM   #76
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Whats the big deal? Jealousy? Hes at work, in the work car, obviously. Its not like its a personal privilege he enjoys whenever he likes in the family car.

Talk about petty.
I think he has a valid point there.

Running a red light, regardless of the circumstances of the car or the intersection, involves a certain amount risk. Obviously any police officer who does so would weigh up those risks before he/she goes through the intersection, but that still does not totally eliminate the risk. At the end of the day though you accept those risks if it is warranted.

I wouldn't think a police officer running a red so he doesn't have to wait at an intersection for a minute is warranted.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2008, 04:41 AM   #77
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_105
I think he has a valid point there.

Running a red light, regardless of the circumstances of the car or the intersection, involves a certain amount risk. Obviously any police officer who does so would weigh up those risks before he/she goes through the intersection, but that still does not totally eliminate the risk. At the end of the day though you accept those risks if it is warranted.

I wouldn't think a police officer running a red so he doesn't have to wait at an intersection for a minute is warranted.
Just because the lights go off after he leaves the intersection does not mean he isnt on official business. The lights may come on then to prevent delays (safety balanced against necessity), but the lights go back off because stealth is what is needed. Who knows why he does it, or needs to? If something goes wrong and there was no need for it then let the matter be dealt with thoroughly. Until then, theres no point questioning or second guessing the decisions they make. There may even be a reason for not being away from a scene too long, but the need to duck of for lunch too so even seeing them pull into Maccas straight after doesnt necessarily indicate anything untoward either. Any dangers the situation present should be minimal anyway, it is a police car, the lights are flashing, and if it was necessary all drivers would be expected to be out of its way anyway.

In the end, they do a risky thankless job, get treated like ar5eholes because some clown thinks his burnout was no big deal and the law is stupid. I see no need to worry myself about an officer approaching an intersection with lights lit, and saving himself a minute or two, on balance with the other factors they need to consider day to day. Every job has perks and hassles, thats his perk just like cheaper cars working at Ford etc.

Is it wrong when theres no need?, of course it is but theres so many complexities to their job. Just pull to the side and let them go without worrying about if they needed to do so or not and I wonder why anyone else would need to make that a concern in their life.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #78
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Police vehicles under law have the ability to ignore most road rules in regard to emergency driving. This is generally done to attend jobs where life is at risk, catch criminals etc. When a member drives in such situation they have to weigh up all risks and get to the situation as quickly and safely as possible. They are not exempt from culprit able driving charges. The same applies to ambulance and fire trucks. Waiting at an intersection, some for 3 minutes or longer to catch a green light coupled with every other intersection on the way to a job is ludicrous. When it is your home with an armed offender who has broken in or your loved one who has suffered a heart attack you want emergency services personal there ASAP!
Old 24-03-2008, 04:27 PM   #79
IDT
Marko

I think some people miss the point of my previous post regarding the comments of special training. It was simply a cop out (pardon the pun) to shut down the complaint. Well at least thats the way it was taken at the time.
Old 24-03-2008, 10:55 PM   #80
Poetic Justice

Either way, the discussion is about the hoon hotline and not what police can or cannot do morally/ethically.
Old 25-03-2008, 12:57 AM   #81
steamin63
old skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
Either way, the discussion is about the hoon hotline and not what police can or cannot do morally/ethically.
yes but thats part of the problem, how can you trust the police to do the job properly [and fairly] when they are some of the worst offenders.on saturday night at about 11pm i was cruising along a dark quiet stretch of road [old cleveland road, in brizzy] when suddenly a pair of headlights turned on directly behind me and tailgated me for a couple of k's.i kept my cool and stuck to the speed limit only to have this tool [you guessed it ,a cop] overtake me at a great rate of knots. i caught up to him at a set of lights in capalaba only to watch him weave like a maniac through a group of about a dozen cars at high speed and then turn left into the Mc Donalds drive through.this is not the first time i've seen something like this and i'm sure it won't be the last. and thats the problem most coppers are fair and just, not all of them. if you give the police more powers there will be those who will abuse those powers. cheers.
Old 25-03-2008, 01:23 AM   #82
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamin63
yes but thats part of the problem, how can you trust the police to do the job properly [and fairly] when they are some of the worst offenders.on saturday night at about 11pm i was cruising along a dark quiet stretch of road [old cleveland road, in brizzy] when suddenly a pair of headlights turned on directly behind me and tailgated me for a couple of k's.i kept my cool and stuck to the speed limit only to have this tool [you guessed it ,a cop] overtake me at a great rate of knots. i caught up to him at a set of lights in capalaba only to watch him weave like a maniac through a group of about a dozen cars at high speed and then turn left into the Mc Donalds drive through.this is not the first time i've seen something like this and i'm sure it won't be the last. and thats the problem most coppers are fair and just, not all of them. if you give the police more powers there will be those who will abuse those powers. cheers.
remember you can always report the offending patrol if you're sure they're acting inapporpriately. i have a police officer friend who got in trouble in sydney for doing a u-turn at a 'no u-turn allowed' sign. there was no traffic at all but someone spotted him and dobbed him in. he got a warning for it. so they can get in trouble for things like that.
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 01:35 PM   #83
3vXT

I may be wrong here but i'm reasonably sure it has always been possible to call the police and 'dob in' hoons, idiots etc... even without a dedicated hoon hotline.
People on here and elsewhere are always saying that the the police should be using their resources to chase the 'real criminals' and leave the normal everyday minor traffic stuff alone (chirping your wheels, accelerating hard etc). Perhaps a dedicated hotline for this stuff will free up some of those resources a little more especially if they have officers that only chase up traffic complaints or something like that.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post