Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-02-2008, 02:30 PM   #61
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu-GenixX
upon reading all posts.. and the article... this is the way i see it...

a crowd was run into by an innocent driver...
that crowd was there BECAUSE of street racers...

now how is this NOT caused by street racing?

the racers did not hurt anyone directly... but it's because the racing was taking place that this tragedy occured... i can't see any logical way to explain that away..

This thread is starting to get a little personal with attacks and such things... everyone has a difference of opinion... i used to go out to quiet roads and industrial estates when i was younger.. it didn't take long to realise the folly in it all... i also used to be involved in M1 races heading down to the gold coast.. (not the rolling road block type ones exaggerated on the news) there is a place for this sort of stuff.... thats where it should be kept...
The racers were simply going about eugenics in a round-a-bout way.
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 12:15 AM   #62
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

The people were stupid for running out on to the road.
Take responsibility for ones actions instead of blaming someone else IMO

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 07:42 AM   #63
1994EDXR6
TICKFORD

Default News Clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pccW4ron7M

Sad, very sad for the family's.
1994EDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 12:02 PM   #64
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu-GenixX
upon reading all posts.. and the article... this is the way i see it...

a crowd was run into by an innocent driver...
that crowd was there BECAUSE of street racers...

now how is this NOT caused by street racing?

the racers did not hurt anyone directly... but it's because the racing was taking place that this tragedy occured... i can't see any logical way to explain that away..

This thread is starting to get a little personal with attacks and such things... everyone has a difference of opinion... i used to go out to quiet roads and industrial estates when i was younger.. it didn't take long to realise the folly in it all... i also used to be involved in M1 races heading down to the gold coast.. (not the rolling road block type ones exaggerated on the news) there is a place for this sort of stuff.... thats where it should be kept...
I would have to argue that the link between the street racers and the accident is too remote as in the following case:

in Palsgraf v. Long Island Rail Road Co. the judge decided that Mrs. Palsgraf being hit by some weighing scales was too bizarre to be anyone's fault. A train conductor had run to help a man into a departing train. The man was carrying a package as he jogged to jump in the train door. The package had fireworks in it. The conductor did not help very well. The man fell from the moving train. The fireworks slipped and exploded on the ground causing shockwaves to travel through the platform. The shockwaves struck some weighing scales causing them to fall, unfortunately, on Mrs. Palsgraf who was standing next to them.

Everybody seems to forget that regardless of the situation every driver has an OBLIGATION to avoid pedestrians regardless of the circumstances. If a pedestrian runs out on the road without looking and you hit them it is YOUR FAULT.

Blaming the street racers for the accident is UNJUST. It is your responsibility as a road user to be prepared for changing conditions. If you remove the street racing from the equation than it is simply negligent driving.

Furthermore the bystanders made the conscious DECISION to watch the street racing so therefore the onus is on them as well. If you have a party and somebody gets stabbed are you guilty or the person who perpetrated the act.

While I won't condone street racing unless you don't live near a track the fact remains that people made the conscious decison to put themselves in a dangerous situation whether there is street racing or not and the driver of the car failed to adjust to a hazard.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 12:15 PM   #65
KBBossedXR
GetBlown or GetBlown Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
While I won't condone street racing unless you don't live near a track the fact remains that people made the conscious decison to put themselves in a dangerous situation whether there is street racing or not and the driver of the car failed to adjust to a hazard.

So you dont live near a track its alright to go STRET RACING. Come on mate i thought Members on this Forum had more brains but obviously they dont, Get of your ASSES and go for a trip to a track and have a race.
Maybe none of you have ever seen Death up close, keep doing what you are and one day you will and you might change what your doing.
KBBossedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #66
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
C'mon you really cant be serious about that, if you are that's a pretty disgraceful attitude to have.... Street racing is NEVER ok..

Old 20-02-2008, 12:33 PM   #67
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBBossedXR
Maybe none of you have ever seen Death up close, keep doing what you are and one day you will and you might change what your doing.
Sadly by that stage it will be too late. It's not a very nice feeling when you lose someone to a bunch of morons racing on a road that was built as a means to get from a to b.
Old 20-02-2008, 12:42 PM   #68
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
So you dont live near a track its alright to go STRET RACING. Come on mate i thought Members on this Forum had more brains but obviously they dont, Get of your ASSES and go for a trip to a track and have a race.

Not everybody lives within a stones throw of a racetrack and do you really think all the apprentices out there could really afford the cost??

I hate to generalise but in a country town like where I live there are two types of young people: street racers and drug addicts. There are the people who work hard all week and go for a squirt on the weekend on a country backroad that is lucky to see one vehicle a day and there is the druggos who sit around all week smoking and drinking.

I am really at a loss to understand this crusade against street racing. There are a million bigger issues in society that causes a million times more damage ie. the ice epidemic yet people like to get up on their soapbox and rave about streetracing like it is slaughtering people by their millions. I have seen car accidents close up and it had nothing to do with street racing more often it is to do with drink driving and drugs and bad road conditions.

I have only ever had one accident and I was riding sedately but hit an oil patch on the road and dropped my bike and ended up in hospital. I wonder what % of deaths and accidents are caused by street racing in comparison to the attention it is given.

I'm predicting this thread will end soon....
Old 20-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #69
KBBossedXR
GetBlown or GetBlown Away

Hey bro i wouldnt call a 1500km round trip a stone throw, this is how far we have travelled twice since late November and will be doing it again at Easter and yes i do have a track in my own Country town and yet we still get all these Apprentices and young people racing there cars on the street waiting to kill some innocent person driving the other way or coming around the corner. The worst part about it is they could come out to the Drag Strip for $20 and race there cars.
They do come out to the meetings just to watch then get outside the gates do there little wheelies and speed of down the road to race there mates.
Dont worry about trying to find out the percentage of deaths and accidents caused by street racing just think of it in Laymans terms. "You may not have crashed yet when your street racing but when you do its going to be a hell of alot worse". I am still young as i am only 34 so i am not some old fart trying to rave on about how you should drive but its common sense and its also because of this behaviour on the roads that the police now have the power to impound your CAR for turning your tyres in a bit of gravell thats been left on the road. (happened to a 58 year old man in my town)
As for death on the roads i let my best freind go for a ride on my CBR 600 back in 1993 and i sat there with his girlfreind waiting for him to return but he never returned, he got cleaned up by the sister of the full forward in my footy team. This just goes to show does happen in Country towns and what makes it worse is most of the town knows each other when things go horribly wrong.
KBBossedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 01:42 PM   #70
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Hey bro i wouldnt call a 1500km round trip a stone throw, this is how far we have travelled twice since late November and will be doing it again at Easter and yes i do have a track in my own Country town and yet we still get all these Apprentices and young people racing there cars on the street waiting to kill some innocent person driving the other way or coming around the corner. The worst part about it is they could come out to the Drag Strip for $20 and race there cars.
They do come out to the meetings just to watch then get outside the gates do there little wheelies and speed of down the road to race there mates.
Dont worry about trying to find out the percentage of deaths and accidents caused by street racing just think of it in Laymans terms. "You may not have crashed yet when your street racing but when you do its going to be a hell of alot worse". I am still young as i am only 34 so i am not some old fart trying to rave on about how you should drive but its common sense and its also because of this behaviour on the roads that the police now have the power to impound your CAR for turning your tyres in a bit of gravell thats been left on the road. (happened to a 58 year old man in my town)
As for death on the roads i let my best freind go for a ride on my CBR 600 back in 1993 and i sat there with his girlfreind waiting for him to return but he never returned, he got cleaned up by the sister of the full forward in my footy team. This just goes to show does happen in Country towns and what makes it worse is most of the town knows each other when things go horribly wrong.
I see your point mate.

I won't speak for other people who have been "hoons" but I make sure I'm only with people who know what they are doing. I taught my missus to drive by taking her paddock bashing as well as a mate and none of them have crashed yet.

My fondest memories are of being on the back of my dads Kawasaki GPZ riding with mates or the big motorcycle rallies or V8's racing down the main street. When I was on my bike L's me and my mate used to find backroads where we could ring the 250's.

As a motorcyclist I have never felt any more at risk at high speeds than I do waiting at an intersection or down a busy street or knowing there is probably going to be cattle wandering on to the road.

All I can say is that there IS a time and a place.
Old 20-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #71
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

having an organised street race with a crowd etc is a pretty stupid thing to do on
a public road.

however, the fact that people got injured in this case has nothing to do with the racing.

#1 DUMBASSES standing on the road with their BACKS TO ONCOMING TRAFFIC.
#2 DUMBASS driving said white car not paying enough attention to notice a CROWD OF PEOPLE of a HIGHWAY.
Old 20-02-2008, 02:05 PM   #72
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I would have to argue that the link between the street racers and the accident is too remote as in the following case:

in Palsgraf v. Long Island Rail Road Co. the judge decided that Mrs. Palsgraf being hit by some weighing scales was too bizarre to be anyone's fault. A train conductor had run to help a man into a departing train. The man was carrying a package as he jogged to jump in the train door. The package had fireworks in it. The conductor did not help very well. The man fell from the moving train. The fireworks slipped and exploded on the ground causing shockwaves to travel through the platform. The shockwaves struck some weighing scales causing them to fall, unfortunately, on Mrs. Palsgraf who was standing next to them.

Everybody seems to forget that regardless of the situation every driver has an OBLIGATION to avoid pedestrians regardless of the circumstances. If a pedestrian runs out on the road without looking and you hit them it is YOUR FAULT.

Blaming the street racers for the accident is UNJUST. It is your responsibility as a road user to be prepared for changing conditions. If you remove the street racing from the equation than it is simply negligent driving.

Furthermore the bystanders made the conscious DECISION to watch the street racing so therefore the onus is on them as well. If you have a party and somebody gets stabbed are you guilty or the person who perpetrated the act.

and i see you missed what i was saying entirely.... i never placed blame on anyone... i placed blame on the fact the racing was taking place... not on the racers.. not on the spectators.. and not on the innocent driver... coz as you said.. they are all to blame as a whole... the racers shouldn't have been doing it.. they left clouds of smoke and raced off.. the spectators not being able to see from the side of the road.. then wandered onto the road... the driver coming up from behind perhaps was not paying as much attention as he should have been.. and has collected the crowd of ppl... which puts blame on all ppl involved....

however.. my point is... if the racing was not taking place.. this accident would have have occured... it's as simple as that.. and there is no way anyone can argue with that fact...

and the example you gave is a bit of a stretch.. no one was breaking the law.. it was all just a series of unforunate events.. unless perhaps some details didn't come across as you had intended...

the street racing taking place is the simple reason this accident took place.. if the racers weren't there.. the spectators wouldn't have been there and the innocent driver would have driven straight thru without any problem what so ever.... end of story
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #73
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

certain people in this thread need a reality check.

if the streetracers wern't there there would be no crowd, no crowd = no crash.

and as for blockhead aka syk4d or whatever your name is saying "hit pedestrians on the shoulder" mate have you ever been or seen a car in an uncontrolable slide???? it's called uncontrolable for a reason!!!!

i am suprprised at the amount of damage that was done to the car but i spose 8 bodies weighing between 60-90kg, 80/90km/h yeah it would do that sort of damage....

what a tragedy... i feel so sorry for people who are effected by incidents like this... it truley is sad... :(

as for the argument about fog etc, i live a fair way out from the city (live on 20acres) and the roads around here are pretty hard to judge where the fog is untill you are close to it, so yeah if you can see it, good for you if you can't well thats not what you want...

geeez i feel sorry for the person who hit them, i couldn't even imagine what is running through their mind right now... i wouldn't be surprised if they turned suicidle...
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #74
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

RIP to the dead.,

but who stands on a highway ffs??!!
this is not the 1st bunch of people ever to get hit by a car. i have heard of groups of kids get hit by cars on their way to school, SCHOOL IS THE KILLER!
Old 20-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #75
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Street Racers = Not smart (for putting themselves and the safety of others at risk)
Spectators = Not smart (for walking onto a road and not checking that there were any oncoming vehicles)
Driver of white car = Not smart (for not paying attention to road conditions irrespective of the cause)

As terrible as it is for all involved, I'm struggling to find any part of this sad story, that the 3 above don't contribute to the whole unnecessary mess.

Take away the street racers, no spectators. No spectators nothing to hit. Had the driver been paying attention, then it's likely they may have slowed down enough to avoid an accident.

I feel very much for the mistakes of the above 3, as those that have lived, have to live with the fact that they all contributed in part to the deaths of those 8 people.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 12:59 AM   #76
micksta

what was a 61 year old man with a broken leg who cant move quickly doing in the middle of a highway. that amazes me.

looks like even old people can be stupid.

but yeah .. i feel sorry for people who actually deserve it
micksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 02:08 PM   #77
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCSEDAN
geeez i feel sorry for the person who hit them, i couldn't even imagine what is running through their mind right now... i wouldn't be surprised if they turned suicidle...
i was reading teh other day how the driver is in a traumatic condition. all he did was go pick up his brother from a band session and wound up in that mess. just awfull.

teh owner of mir holds something he calls midnight madness for all the street cars on saturday nights. it's an event just for them. i'm going to say mir is 35 - 40 minutes away from the scene.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #78
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

What was a 61 year old doing out at 3:40AM watching an illegal street race?
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 03:10 PM   #79
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi
What was a 61 year old doing out at 3:40AM watching an illegal street race?
great question. a lot of folks there were 30s, 40s, etc. drive 35 - 40 minutes in either direction from the scene and you are at a pretty nice drag strip.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 11:11 PM   #80
drcook
I Bleed Orange!

why is everyone getting so aggresive... they were americans?
Old 26-02-2008, 08:59 AM   #81
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the way I see it if someone is killed through street racing ( either partcipating directly or encouraging it by being a spectator) it is death due to darwins theory of natural selection ( see darwinawards.com ) . put simply they were too stupid to be allowed to further contribute to the gene pool. if someone wishes to race there is a time and place for this the cars are cheched for safety and the drivers must meet a standard higher than the average road driver. some try to make excuses but there is no excuse for street racing
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2008, 10:13 AM   #82
Uncle Raggy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by syko4d
and lets just end it now it wasnt the street racers fault

it was the people in the middle of the road and the guy that drove blind the drag racers didnt hurt anyone
Cause and effect, if street racers weren't there, crowd wouldn't be there either gathering to watch. No smoke around from racers, clear road ahead for general public to drive on public road. I say public road, not race track. Motorist contributed to accident, not caused it.

You wanna race, go to race track.
Uncle Raggy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 02:23 PM   #83
syko4d

yeah good point if the street race wasnt there they wouldnt have got hit?

sorry i beleive if they wernt standing in the middle of the road they wouldnt have been hit? makes sense to me?

but then i guess because it was street racing it was the racers fault ? PATHETIC

so i guess wen a drunk person walks home in the fog walks across a road gets hit by a car its the pubs fault? wtf?

it was the people in the middle of the roads fault they were there IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD!

xcsedan BLOCKHEAD? wtf wow i dont think i can live now i got called that, it really hurt my feelings

and as far as hitting a kangaroo is concerned i to have hit a kangaroo and the damage is unbeleivable

i also have to drive for three hours to my closest race track wsid wich i have and still do use there is also a 1/8th track 2 1/2 hours away i use them both but unfortunately

there not open all the time

there is a place and time for racing its not with six year old kids and not with retarded people standing in the middle of the road

every town has a illegal strip

if we all had somewere to go then i think you could be such a hater but we dont

have you never done a light to light race? its just as dangerous? its still street racing

its a common thing most people have a go at it

since you are all generalising just remember you own a modified car aswell what youve never done a skid or a race on the street please dont lie

and i do feel sorry for that guy no matter what happened id would be a extremely hard thing to deal with

SO FAR
syko4d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #84
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=389360 he has been charged with homicide

FG F6 Manual 366RWKW tuned by BLUE POWER

82XD393.3v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #85
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82XD393.3v
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=389360 he has been charged with homicide
That's a different accident to the original one, this was Aussie Troy Critchley doing a burnout demo that went wrong, not racing on the street

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2008, 07:03 PM   #86
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

It's opinions of legel stand verus reality of how this incident happened and who is to blame. The street racers can only be charged for street racing. The people on the road charged for walking all over the highway. Where the guy could be charged is man-slaughter.

As said earlier, it's one taking responisbility for one's actions. If you decided to walk onto the highway for some stupid street race then thats your decision, not the street racers decision. I'm sure they didn't have ushers there going, crowd around, see the start of the race. I dont think anyone here has the real facts, we all know the media turns anything into something that we will swallow so that they get more money.

If the guy didn't have his light on, then yes, he is at part fault for driving dangerously, if he didn't slow down when he could have, then he is at fault. However, you can't make people wonder onto a highway, thats what thier brains are for.

Simply a bunch of bad decisions put together with a tragic ending, and something certainly not worth 4 pages of people attacking each other over when it's all simply opinions.

04' BA XR6 - Blueprint - 6 Speed with Rip Shift - HD Clutch
2.5"/BFGT Exhaust System with Quad Tips - 4490's Extractors
19" ROH Flares - 20% Underdrives - Interior Colour Coded - Sunroof - BOSS Bonnet
Stage 2 Crow Cam's - Crow Cam's Valve Springs - BPR Airbox
M86 LSD Diff with 4.1s - Upgraded Brakes with Slotted DBA 4000's
Leather Interior - Rear Power Windows

Projects Underway: Sound System
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2008, 09:41 PM   #87
351buzz

I reckon they should find the first spectator that decieded " I don't have a good enough view, I will step in front of this spectator and block their view so I can get a better look ", and charge him/her with everything they got. I hope that particular person is one of the dead.
Now we only have to work out how to kill all these people in grandstands that decide to stand up in front. Maybe we could have gerriatric drivers cruising their cars up and down the aisles, as soon as they see a "BLOCKER", bang hard right, brake? throttle? whatever don't know the difference anyway. Start mowin' em down I reckon. enough is enough
351buzz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2008, 03:41 AM   #88
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.J.Tuddy
--snip--
Spot on.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post