Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 31-01-2008, 09:23 AM   #31
MYV8
Gota be happy with a Hump
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcams
Clocking blistering times changing nappies, did a .001 reaction putting the nappy back on the other day, not that it had anything to do with something pointing straight at me and ready to fire.

Might be down the WSID next week to help someone with there GT blown manual.
Give me a call if you go Wade and I will come down for a look.

BluePower Racing Developments ............... Best in the Business
MYV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2008, 04:53 PM   #32
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYV8
Give me a call if you go Wade and I will come down for a look.
No worries Chris, was going to call you anyway to see if you wanted to come along.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2008, 04:54 PM   #33
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec
Hey mate,

I would like to give another bash next Wednesday, will keep in touch.

Cheers

Paul.
When every your ready Paul.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 01:24 AM   #34
fpv608
BA MK2 GT

Quote:
I am pretty sure it is:-

Street Fighter not quicker than 13.00
Super Street 11.00 to 12.99
Super Sedan quicker than 10.99

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for the answer MYV8.But I think I need to know more about drag racing before I decide to enter. I was their on the 26th as a spectator. One thing I didnt understand was, how could a 17sec. commodore which didnt even bother to burnout before racing. Pick up a trophy by comming first in the Street Fighter class :

Falcon-Tickford-FPV Car Club of NSW
http://bseries.com.au/fpv608
PB 13.2 @ 109 mph
fpv608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 08:41 AM   #35
MYV8
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv608
Thanks for the answer MYV8.But I think I need to know more about drag racing before I decide to enter. I was their on the 26th as a spectator. One thing I didnt understand was, how could a 17sec. commodore which didnt even bother to burnout before racing. Pick up a trophy by comming first in the Street Fighter class :
This is group 3 racing.
This type of racing is based on a dial your own (DYO) time, so that anyone has a chance of winning irrespective of how much money they have to pour into their car to make it quick.
Generally there is a few practise rounds from which you decide what DYO time you want for the first round of racing. The idea is to run as close to, but not under this time. If you get very close to this nominated time and have a good reaction time on the tree, you have a fair chance of winning. If you go quicker than your nominated time, you lose, unless there is a double break out or disqualification, (red light, cross centre line etc).
Probably best described as handicap racing, where if you and your car are consistant and sharp on the tree you have a good chance of winning, even in a 17 sec commodore. LoL.

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by MYV8; 01-02-2008 at 08:46 AM. Reason: added word
Old 01-02-2008, 12:31 PM   #36
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Plenty of info here.
http://www.motorplex.com.au/how_to_g...ing/index.html

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 10:10 PM   #37
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Quote:
Yep, that was the commodore that beat me. He had a 4sec head start on me, it seemed like eternity sitting on the line. We crossed line together but he beat me by a tenth. His R/T was 2 tenths better then mine, he's obviously experienced at the game.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:44 AM   #38
fpv608
BA MK2 GT

Quote:
This is group 3 racing.
This type of racing is based on a dial your own (DYO) time, so that anyone has a chance of winning irrespective of how much money they have to pour into their car to make it quick.
Generally there is a few practise rounds from which you decide what DYO time you want for the first round of racing. The idea is to run as close to, but not under this time. If you get very close to this nominated time and have a good reaction time on the tree, you have a fair chance of winning. If you go quicker than your nominated time, you lose, unless there is a double break out or disqualification, (red light, cross centre line etc).
Probably best described as handicap racing, where if you and your car are consistant and sharp on the tree you have a good chance of winning, even in a 17 sec commodore. LoL.

Cheers,

Chris
With a un-modified car it seems pretty basic. But on the other hand with a modified car its seems to be quite difficult.

PB 13.2 @ 109 mph
Old 02-02-2008, 02:50 AM   #39
fpv608
BA MK2 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan

Thanks SpoolMan, Intresting information. Experience is what I need. Need to do practicle rather than staying on theory.

PB 13.2 @ 109 mph
Old 02-02-2008, 03:12 AM   #40
fpv608
BA MK2 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomXR8
Yep, that was the commodore that beat me. He had a 4sec head start on me, it seemed like eternity sitting on the line. We crossed line together but he beat me by a tenth. His R/T was 2 tenths better then mine, he's obviously experienced at the game.

I was there PhantomXR8, infact I came done to the pits to meet you and the others in the forums. But shy me. About that commodore, ha. Common 17 sec. ha,.Ill be embarrassed to say I won...

PB 13.2 @ 109 mph
Old 02-02-2008, 08:07 AM   #41
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Talking

Quote:
I was there PhantomXR8, infact I came done to the pits to meet you and the others in the forums. But shy me. About that commodore, ha. Common 17 sec. ha,.Ill be embarrassed to say I won...
Don't be shy next time! These types of meets introduce you to drag racing and get you thinking like a drag racer. Makes you think how your car works under certain conditions and then you have to get out there make no mistakes, sounds easy hey?
Old 10-02-2008, 05:35 PM   #42
supakel351

Quote:
Not a real good day, but we had fun anyway.
Best for the day was a 10.40 @ 129, which was a little slower than expected.
The torque convertor is giving up the ghost and Rich was losing about an extra tenth on the 60' compared to the previous pass.
First round he put out the 2nd top qualifier with a 10.5 @ 129 against the losing 8.2.
Got knocked out in the second round with a 10.7 (1.69 60' instead of the usual 1.4).

Good to see you again Craig. You got through a few rounds and must of had a good time out there.

Burnz: Sub 10 sec cars run in Super Sedan as there is no bottom cut-off. There is a few 7 sec SS/AA cars around. (Unless they run a specific class like S/Gas, SCO, etc.)

this is weird if i wrote it would have said 10.401 @ 129 a little slower than expected.........but my convertor was fine

first round took out the top qualifier 10.51 @ 120 TO 7.78 @176MPH

knocked out in the second round to the eventual winner....I RED LIGHTED

mmmm freaky! :hatthing:
supakel351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2008, 05:46 PM   #43
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by supakel351
this is weird if i wrote it would have said 10.401 @ 129 a little slower than expected.........but my convertor was fine

mmmm freaky! :
this may be a silly question but if you do a sub 10 sec
are you required to have rollcage/chute setup?
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2008, 05:53 PM   #44
supakel351

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
this may be a silly question but if you do a sub 10 sec
are you required to have rollcage/chute setup?

yes to the cage , 5 point harness , arm or wondow restraints , fire suit , gloves and of course a helmet...........with 2 wheel brakes you need a chute at 130 mph with 4 wheel brakes 140 mph....i dont need one at this stage
Old 10-02-2008, 06:03 PM   #45
burnz
VFII SS UTE

it's been a long time since i raced.
castleraegh eastern creek (old) not wsid.
last time was a week before the fatal..i refused to drive at a brick wall.
a week later a fatal happened (throttle stick open).
i have only spectated at wsid look's safer.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2008, 10:02 AM   #46
MYV8
Donating Member1

Quote:
Obviously your recollection of the day is a lot better than mine.

The convertor was not fine. It started playing up at the Nostalgia's and is progressivly getting worse.

Quote:
I do not have the timeslips to post the exact times and I am sure that it was the 2nd top qualifier that Rich beat in the first round.

Quote:
We did not stick around to see who won the event. As I posted this on behalf of Rich, it's his car and he was driving I DID NOT RED LIGHT.

Even in qualifying the car would sometimes drag forward at nowhere near the stall speed of the convertor. Rich was trying different launch methods to overcome this, this is why the consistency was not there as it usually is. The incrementals and final ET on the last pass were crap, so either way he would have lost.

How did you go on the day and in which bracket?????

Old 11-02-2008, 10:36 AM   #47
MYV8
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
it's been a long time since i raced.
castleraegh eastern creek (old) not wsid.
last time was a week before the fatal..i refused to drive at a brick wall.
a week later a fatal happened (throttle stick open).
i have only spectated at wsid look's safer.

All of the drag racing events I attended at Eastern Creek the start line was down by the concrete wall and the finish line was up by the covered stand, with the run-off area up towards turn 12 of the circuit.
The quickest car I saw have a problem was Steve Reed in his TA/FC, who had a stuck throttle. He went right up the straight, through the fence and into a paddock before stopping. His car was damaged but he was OK. Also Alf Sorbello in his BMW Wild Bunch car did the same but did not go through the fence.
There was no wall to hit.

The fatal accident was not a specific drag racing event.
They went the opposite way to normal drag racing in an attempt to get a higher mph, as from turn 12 to turn 1 is downhill.

Compared to what we have at WSID, Eastern Creek was pretty poor, but after the long absence of drag racing since Castlereagh closed it was better than nothing and probably got the momentum going to get WSID off the ground.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:41 AM   #48
MYV8
Donating Member1

Quote:

The convertor was not fine. It started playing up at the Nostalgia's and is progressivly getting worse.

I do not have the timeslips to post the exact times and I am sure that it was the 2nd top qualifier that Rich beat in the first round.

We did not stick around to see who won the event. As I posted this on behalf of Rich, it's his car and he was driving I DID NOT RED LIGHT.

Even in qualifying the car would sometimes drag forward at nowhere near the stall speed of the convertor. Rich was trying different launch methods to overcome this, this is why the consistency was not there as it usually is. The incrementals and final ET on the last pass were crap, so either way he would have lost.

Supakel351 on re-reading your post I think I may need to apologise for taking it the wrong way.
The way I read it first, I thought you were correcting my account of the day, but maybe this is your account of your day, which , if so is very similar indeed.
On our second round pass dialled in a 10.6. Did.... RT .2, 60' poor 1.7 and ET 10.7. The other bloke was on his game and won.

Sorry if I got it all wrong, it's been a long week.

Chris

Old 23-02-2008, 12:32 AM   #49
supakel351

Quote:

sorry you missed my point. i was and the times are mine not yours .....thats why its freaky! in fact it still is....lol :
Old 22-03-2008, 09:06 PM   #50
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Come for run at Heathcote 2 day event, see the link in my sig.
Mark, should be good, I'll start arranging it!