Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #31
fordfreak2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3136
I got knocked off a motorbike by an old guy with more or less the same excuse: "sun glare".
I was going straight, he did a right hand turn into me.
My Result: Broken leg and no more Triumph Trophy 900.
His Result: I think he was inconvenienced by not having a car for a few days, but thats about it !

I don't know about most people, but if I couldn't see what was coming down the road, I wouldn't turn !

<edit>Forgot to mention: He was driving a Volvo</edit>
That was not good for you, & that is why i never rode a motorbike just push bikes , i hope you got fixed up with well enough to walk good again & not hobble

You were lucky at just getting a broken leg.

glad to hear from you.

cheers FF2
fordfreak2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #32
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
that really sucks, i hope no one was seriously injured but now for your son, find him the last of the RWD corrola's, hopefully in good condition and throw a 4AGE in there :P twin cam I4 scream! and he'll love it!! just dont let him come home after 10:00 lol
No don't do that he'll get a 7.5k payout and I have a 7.5k Fairmont! It all works out
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #33
Wally
XP Coupe

I wonder if someone on another board is posting a similar thread about how a Corolla T boned the rear of his/her car. :voldar02:
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #34
dave289
Banned

women drivers in commondores.she was probably too busy typing a message into her phone instead of watching the road.or maybe doing herlipstick in the rearview mirror.a silly little girl almost ran me off the road the other day,i look over and hear she is typing some crap into her phone.i felt like getting out and slapping her head.such stupidity from idiots and they would do this on the highway too.no idea.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 01:41 PM   #35
Wally
XP Coupe

So women and commodores don't mix... how bizzare, a machine that controls the free will of a human.
Old 20-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #36
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadKa
bad luck mate. doesn't really look that bad in the photos though. You were unlucky to get whiplash. sounds like the seat belt didnt do its job. I've been in a few accidents (only 1 my fault) and I've always got out no worries. Every one I have realised its about to happen and braced for it though so I guess it would be different if your just sitting there unaware.
Whiplash is very common in that type of accident. Unfortunately a seatbelt doesn't restrain the driver's head. If there was no car in front, it wouldn't have been anywhere near as bad. The situation is that when you get hit from behind, the force will throw your head back. When you are pushed into the car in front, the sudden slowing of the car will throw your head back forward. These forces happen in an incredibly short time, and the neck isn't designed for these sort of impacts. These forces do severe damage, so seatbelts won't help with whiplash. It's the main reason why a lot of new premium cars use active headrests that move to try to reduce the movement of the neck in an accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak2
That was not good for you, & that is why i never rode a motorbike just push bikes , i hope you got fixed up with well enough to walk good again & not hobble

You were lucky at just getting a broken leg.

glad to hear from you.

cheers FF2
Accidents happen on pushbikes too. My friend's dad was riding his pushbike, and had an unobservant driver clobber him with the passenger side mirror a bit over a year ago. He got spinal and nerve damage from the incident, has been off work for all that time, with the rest of the family running the farm, and may need to sell the farm now, because he may not be able to return to work again.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake

Last edited by Dezza; 20-03-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 02:58 PM   #37
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers everyone for the good advise, unfortunately I'm an old pro at car prangs. Yep went to the Doc, just whip lash with soft tissue damage, swelling like a tumor on the right side of my neck. Filled out all the insurance claims etc for the bills.

I know the damage doesn't look much but when they were pulled apart the Corolla was buggered good, all the front (bumper grill both headlights), bonnet, guards, radiator, A/C radiator, then the rear end, the hatch etc, couldnt get the spare wheel out of the well to get some tools.

I hear ya Fev about the R/W drive Corolla with a 4AGE, but I won't him to keep his license, although he'd probably never get me out of it.

I believe she was on her phone but I don't know for sure, I was thrown forwards and slightly to the left which explains how I came to slip out of my seat belt, beacuse she hit me with her f left to my r rear, why she was half in and half out of the lanes I don't know. The Adventra was pushed back to the radiator but wasn't leaking.

She hit me hard once, I hit the car in front hard (2nd impact) then she was into me again and completed the sandwich. The poor lady 2 cars up from me (5 cars altogether damaged, it was a big hit) had 2 little ones (one was a baby) in her car so I'm thankful it was me and not the lady with the kids, who knows if they were in their seats properly if at all.

The woman has txt me with her details for her insurer etc but no apology, guess she's had time to think about it and an apology would be like an admission of fault.

Just hope they write it off, don't want it back with that damage although my son would love to have it back.
Old 20-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #38
Wally
XP Coupe

And we are all advised by our insurers never to admit fault either directly or through an apology.
Old 20-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #39
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
And we are all advised by our insurers never to admit fault either directly or through an apology.
I thought you could officially apologize, but just DON'T say SORRY?
Or was that for the stolen generators?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 12:01 AM   #40
IDT
Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
sorry to hear, but if yours is the red car and hers is the black car, that was not a 70kmh hit id hate to tell you.
if it was a 70kmh hit in the arze, the hatch would be sitting behind the drivers seat.

make sure you go see a doctor too and get a once over. problems can occur later down the track and if you dont have it documented, theres nothing you can do about it.
Not that I am any sort of expert but I am not convinced she wasn't doing 70kph? It wouldn't surprise me if she was in fact going that fast. If he didn't have his foot hard on the break when she hit? May explain the minor damage to the back end and the more severe on the front. Also allow for the car in front of him to absorb some of the impact. Would explain him being thrown around.
Old 21-03-2008, 12:41 AM   #41
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Ahhhh crap, this thread jinxed me :.... got run up the date tonight by a chick in a toy 4x4 who wasn't paying 100% attention (admitted to me that she was on the phone). Fortunately it was a low speed impact.

End result, scratched and slightly deformed the crap out of my rear bar. Didn't really feel it either, just a thud and some cursing from me. Her car, not so good - cracked the front bar and grilled something fierce but lucky for her did not damage her radiator.

The funny thing is I told my missus repeatedly that this particular spot was going to be where someone would run up my backside and well looks like I was right - people park on a blind corner in this spot which then forces the those in the left lane to change lanes but in this instance the girl changed lane successfully but did not see that the traffic ahead of the parked car had come to a halt. I braked gently but she said she looked at her phone for a moment and bang into my butt.
Old 21-03-2008, 08:33 AM   #42
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak2
When he hit me the cops said he was doing about 70k's but because he didn't hit the brakes & that i was stationary they said he hit me at around 100 or 120k's ( they say that when a stationary car gets hit you can double that speed at impact)

not correct! hitting a stationary object at a given speed results in that given speed being the impact speed. if the two objects are travelling towards each other the impact speed will be much greater. somewhere in the vicinity of the 2 speeds combined. if the 2 objects are travelling in the same direction then the impact will be less obviously.

regarding the crashed up corolla - that'll buff out!!
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #43
alecrain
'03 BA XT

Question how will the insurance be applied?

Hi, first of all sorry to hear of your unpleasant adventure, hope everything will turn out good.

I was just wondering how will the insurance issue be dealt with.
In Europe the car that rear ends you pays for the damage, but in case of more than one car being damaged in a domino effect, the last car pays only for the direct damage to the car in front. The car that was hit and hits another car pays for that damage and so on.
Basicaly you'll be paid for the damage to the back of the car but you'll pay for the damage to the front of your car and the rear of the car in front of you...

does it work like that here?

Beautiful Photography Blog

2003 BA XT
IMPCO SVI - TYPHOON CAI +XR6T snorkel - K&N Panel Filter - DBA Slotties - Tint

1998 Toyota Landcruiser Prado

www.bseries.com.au/alecrain

Quote:
People that drive slower than ME are BAD DRIVERS,
People that drive faster are IDIOTS
alecrain is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #44
alecrain
'03 BA XT

Cool crumble zones

Did you notice that some of the older small cars have had the crumble zones designed into them decades ago?
The crumble zone was form the front bumper to the rear bumper

Beautiful Photography Blog

2003 BA XT
IMPCO SVI - TYPHOON CAI +XR6T snorkel - K&N Panel Filter - DBA Slotties - Tint

1998 Toyota Landcruiser Prado

www.bseries.com.au/alecrain

Quote:
People that drive slower than ME are BAD DRIVERS,
People that drive faster are IDIOTS
alecrain is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 12:42 PM   #45
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecrain
Hi, first of all sorry to hear of your unpleasant adventure, hope everything will turn out good.

In Europe the car that rear ends you pays for the damage, but in case of more than one car being damaged in a domino effect, the last car pays only for the direct damage to the car in front. The car that was hit and hits another car pays for that damage and so on.
Basicaly you'll be paid for the damage to the back of the car but you'll pay for the damage to the front of your car and the rear of the car in front of you...

It works that way in case of a pile-up (first car stops, hit by second, hit by third, hit by fourth). Not sure what happens if it works the opposite way (fourth hits third, pushed into second, pushed into first) but I would say as long as there was a reasonable gap (basic rule of thumb is that you should be able to see the rear tyres of the vehicle in front) he should be not at fault.
Old 21-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #46
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
not correct! hitting a stationary object at a given speed results in that given speed being the impact speed. if the two objects are travelling towards each other the impact speed will be much greater. somewhere in the vicinity of the 2 speeds combined. if the 2 objects are travelling in the same direction then the impact will be less obviously.

regarding the crashed up corolla - that'll buff out!!
If you hit a stationary vehicle with its brakes applied your car will stop a lot quicker than if it was sitting there without brakes about to take off. The vehicle behind has to overcome the front vehicle's inertia, and transfer enough force to either overcome the brakes, or more likely break the traction between the tyres and the road.
Old 21-03-2008, 02:10 PM   #47
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecrain

In the classic situation where they all pile up in rear enders, that would be the case, because you're supposed to leave a gap to avoid sudden braking, but all the other cars had already stopped in this case and it was clearly the last car that pushed the others into each other. Last car pays the whole bill.

As for medical, the bill is covered by the road authority 3rd party insurance. The party at fault will have to pay an excess of around $500 (at a guess).
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 07:00 PM   #48
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
In the classic situation where they all pile up in rear enders, that would be the case, because you're supposed to leave a gap to avoid sudden braking, but all the other cars had already stopped in this case and it was clearly the last car that pushed the others into each other. Last car pays the whole bill.

As for medical, the bill is covered by the road authority 3rd party insurance. The party at fault will have to pay an excess of around $500 (at a guess).
No excess in WA that I know of. I've had two at faults, both claimed against me, and I've never had to pay excess.
Old 21-03-2008, 07:15 PM   #49
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well my insurer has written the Corolla off thankfully and will get a cheque next week (quick work, very pleased). Paid 5 grand in december for it and the book value is 7,500 so thats what I'm getting.

All my medical bills are paid directly by the govt body Insurance Commission of WA and I just quote my claim number to any health care provider and they bill them direct, don't have to put my hand in my pocket at all because I wasn't at fault.

As for the insurance companys, most of them have a gentlemans agreement called a "knock for knock" and each pays their own repair bills. I'm not paying any excess or losing any no claim bonus.

So now the hunt is on for a replacement car for my son, thinking about a Mazda Astina 1.8 WITH AIR BAGS. I so love looking for cars (seriously), it's an anti climax for me when I find one.

Neck is still killing me, backs come good, doped up with anti inflamatorys, not helping much though.