Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Gaming not real enough for ya? Try this

Sorry if this is a repost

original article

Computer combat jacket simulates being shot

By Nic Fleming, Science Correspondent
Last Updated: 6:55pm GMT 11/03/2008

A virtual reality combat jacket that allows computer game players to feel their on-screen characters being shot and punched is to be launched this week.

The 3rd Space vest uses air pressure to deliver pneumatic jolts to players' torsos to simulate sensations experienced by game characters such as recoil from weapons, jolts from jumping and bullet impacts.

Virtual combat jacket
The virtual combat jacket uses air pressure to simulate injury

It is part of a trend for games developers to increasingly use physical touch and movement to make gaming experiences more realistic reflected in the success of the Nintendo Wii, which involves a remote control that transmits a player's movements to a screen.

Dr Mark Ombrellaro, a vascular surgeon from Bellevue, Washington, adapted the jacket from a more sophisticated medical version he created to allow doctors to carry out long distance examinations on patients in prison or in isolated rural communities via the internet.

Dr Ombrellaro said: "This is unlike anything that's been out there before. Everybody is looking for the latest immersive experience, to be really engaged with content.

"Audio and visual graphics are of course excellent mediums, but we have five senses and in computer games we are only really using two of them. Here we are making use of a third sensory dimension.

"It's a way for game designers and players to taking gaming to the next level. It provides a way for reality and virtual reality to interact.

"If you watch people playing with the vest they physically flinch to get away from enemies, and get into the game in a way they have never done before."
advertisement

The 3rd Space vest delivers up to 5lbs of force to the torso via eight pneumatic impact cells linked to tiny air pistons - four on the front of the body and four on the back - which inflate at different positions and speed according to the action being simulated in the game. It will go on sale this week for £129 bundled with two games including Call of Duty II.

The jacket is available in black, grey camouflage and pink. At present it is only compatible with certain PC games, such as Unreal Tournament, Halflife 2, Medal of Airborne, Quake 4 and Doom 3, however Dr Ombrellaro is in discussions with the makers of the major games consoles.

Dr Ombrellaro's company TouchNetworks is also planning virtual reality helmets, long-sleeved tops and trousers. He is also working on models that imitate the forces involved in driving and flight simulation games.

Guy Cocker, a journalist on the GameSpot UK website, said: "Games have become more and more realistic in terms of graphics and sound. But gamers will always want more immersive experiences.

"I haven't tried this particular product. Whether it is successful may depend on whether its creators can get the support of major developers so that new games are specifically programmed to make the experience genuinely more realistic."

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds awesome! i can just see a bunch of CS "1337"s in net cafe's having lan games and the losing team all cryin after the 2min rounds lol
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
AUIIForte

Sorry I didn't read the whole article, but does it say how powerful the blows would be? Hehe!
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIForte
Sorry I didn't read the whole article, but does it say how powerful the blows would be? Hehe!
I doubt it will leave bruises etc. But Im sure you will certainly feel getting hit. Id be interested to feel its impact. Imagine getting pummeled by a uzi(sp) in one of those games.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 12-03-2008, 06:19 PM   #5
ELtim
Six One Eight

I don't like the feeling of being punched so I can't imagine liking the feeling of being shot either.

For Sale: Year Old Gas System
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=2644272#post2644272
ELtim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

awesome, shame you won't be able to get the feel of a boom head shot
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2008, 07:43 PM   #7
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

oooooooold news! That was reviewed in pc powerplay magazine back in november 2007!
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2008, 08:09 PM   #8
rodderz

Does it come with matching undies?
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2008, 08:39 PM   #9
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose
oooooooold news! That was reviewed in pc powerplay magazine back in november 2007!
lol. some of us here arent all entire geeks. :

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 12-03-2008, 09:22 PM   #10
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Counterstrike is going to be a much more graphic experience!

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #11
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

God, imagine getting hit with all 200 bullets from the M249 in America's Army.... I can imagine the person on the floor rolling around in pain. I wonder how much one of these would set me back though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.

Last edited by 90sFTW; 12-03-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2008, 10:24 PM   #12
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

it only 5pounds empact so not that much, i would be pretty interested to try one on maybe a bit of UT agian (ah the old days lol)

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2008, 11:00 PM   #13
3vXT

Yeah, it wouldn't need to be overly powerful. As crazy as it sounds, our brains have a way of tricking themselves into making these type of things feel more realistic than it would seem on paper.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2008, 08:01 AM   #14
Steffo
LPG > You

I want this, it sounds fun! It'd be awesome in CS... all those nubs that run out and spray like idiots would think twice...

It'll be interesting if technology is ever able to simulate the real feeling of being shot....
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2008, 09:56 AM   #15
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
I want this, it sounds fun! It'd be awesome in CS... all those nubs that run out and spray like idiots would think twice...

It'll be interesting if technology is ever able to simulate the real feeling of being shot....
i'd say thats a big no.

but after speaking to people in my sporting field about members who accidentally shot themselves (im a pistol shooter), they said that they went into shock almost instantly so they werent really feeling any pain.