Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-03-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

Default Look Out FG, here comes Holden

Found this on Carpoint, I don't think it has been posted yet.

Hopefully Ford responds with PLAN B for the official sale start.

Never mind the road toll, Holden has upped safety specs in the VE range to resist the new Falcon's sales impact

Is it too cynical to suggest that there's no such thing as coincidence where the motor industry is concerned?

Holden has just raised the stakes in new car marketing by including side impact (curtain) airbags and air conditioning as standard for all Commodore sedan models -- a matter of weeks before Ford's new FG Falcon goes on sale (more here).

The curtain airbags provide dedicated protection for the heads of vehicle occupants in both front and rear seats. Side impacts are the major contributing factor in crash-related head trauma and this has been neglected by car makers in the past, so -- irrespective of any ulterior motive Holden may have -- the change of specification is a welcome one for buyers of Omega, Berlina, SV6 and SS models in the VE Commodore range.

Along with the safety upgrade, Holden has also effectively raised the base Omega model's specification to mirror that of the Lumina limited edition model, adding side-impact airbags (to protect the thorax -- separate from the curtain airbags), alloy wheels, a revised grille and body-colour door handles and mirror housings. In addition, the Omega is offered in a new exterior colour, 'Karma'.

The added features will also be standard for the coming Sportwagon models, with the further addition of rear park assist sensors. Buyers will start taking delivery of the new wagon variants from around the middle of the year.

"With six airbags and ESP now standard on Commodore sedan and the soon-to-be-launched Sportwagon line-up, we believe potential buyers will see this as a fantastic value-for-money proposition," said Alan Batey, GM Holden Executive Director of Sales, Marketing and Aftersales.

The revised VE Commodore range goes on sale March 15.

Thanks

K&N, F6 Snorkel, Debung, 20" Enix Turbine in Gunmetal, 7 seat rear springs.
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
MRJUCY
Fordless

I wonder how many Commodores they've sold in the last 20 years without air conditioning anyway.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
Kryton

air con as standard.......look out Ford.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Is it too cynical to suggest that there's no such thing as coincidence where the motor industry is concerned?
Holden have made an extra 50 million selling their precious VE without the best available safety features.

It doesn't matter how one eyed you are. Competition keeps the bas%^#$ honest.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:28 PM   #5
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fantastic news, good to see one of the big aussies jumping on board the safety bandwagon.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinpiston

Hopefully Ford responds with PLAN B for the official sale start.

Never mind the road toll, Holden has upped safety specs in the VE range to resist the new Falcon's sales impact

Holden has just raised the stakes in new car marketing by including side impact (curtain) airbags and air conditioning as standard for all Commodore sedan models -- a matter of weeks before Ford's new FG Falcon goes on sale (more here).

The curtain airbags provide dedicated protection for the heads of vehicle occupants in both front and rear seats. Side impacts are the major contributing factor in crash-related head trauma and this has been neglected by car makers in the past, so -- irrespective of any ulterior motive Holden may have -- the change of specification is a welcome one for buyers of Omega, Berlina, SV6 and SS models in the VE Commodore range.

Along with the safety upgrade, Holden has also effectively raised the base Omega model's specification to mirror that of the Lumina limited edition model, adding side-impact airbags (to protect the thorax -- separate from the curtain airbags), alloy wheels, a revised grille and body-colour door handles and mirror housings. In addition, the Omega is offered in a new exterior colour, 'Karma'.

The added features will also be standard for the coming Sportwagon models, with the further addition of rear park assist sensors. Buyers will start taking delivery of the new wagon variants from around the middle of the year.

"With six airbags and ESP now standard on Commodore sedan and the soon-to-be-launched Sportwagon line-up, we believe potential buyers will see this as a fantastic value-for-money proposition," said Alan Batey, GM Holden Executive Director of Sales, Marketing and Aftersales.

The revised VE Commodore range goes on sale March 15.

Thanks
Wups and there go holden, still hoping...GO FORDS..
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 05:01 PM   #7
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Nice slight re-word of a press release from Carpoint. In any case, the benefits of Holden raising standard equipment is also good news for consumers of other competing vehicles in its segment.

Ford are going to be quite clear about the fact that the all new Falcon will be the safest australian built car in history. No matter how many supplementary systems you offer, its the structural integrity of a car that really counts.
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Alloy wheels now standard on a Base model car.. Said Ford should have done that with the FG, XT is way behind now!!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #9
nosliwedaw
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO83
Nice slight re-word of a press release from Carpoint.
And where exactly did TwinPiston try and hide that fact that he got the info from Carpoint, I thought
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWINPISTON
would have been a dead giveaway :

All the same, i think this is a significant repositioning of the Bommadore, no longer will it look like a fleet special.(well a little less anyway) I am sure Ford will have an answer, but when.......
nosliwedaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 06:11 PM   #10
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosliwedaw
And where exactly did TwinPiston try and hide that fact that he got the info from Carpoint, I thought would have been a dead giveaway :

All the same, i think this is a significant repositioning of the Bommadore, no longer will it look like a fleet special.(well a little less anyway) I am sure Ford will have an answer, but when.......
I'll reword it for you. Great article from the talented at NineMSN Carpoint, it is a slightly warmed over press release from Holden reworked to include FG references. : : :
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #11
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Honestly how bad will 16 inch alloys look on an Omega, small wheels with high ride height.
Mighty Reds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 06:17 PM   #12
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

They will look better then the hubcaps it currently rides on...
Old 11-03-2008, 06:25 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Doesn't matter how many airbags they fit, it still won't be a 5 star ANCAP car like the FG should be. :
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 06:28 PM   #14
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I seen the Calais V has gotten a dress up to, change of wheels a bobtail spoiler!!

Its ths Series II without the Series II badge it seems, although holdens working in MY build series now like the euro cars, eg MY08 so we probarly wont see anymore series II's.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:31 PM   #15
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Meh - Pros and cons for every car/model... FG will have quite alot over VE... Really the BA should have had the Human Interface that the FG now has...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 06:38 PM   #16
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Calais V is the best in the range, I hope they haven't ruined it with a crap set of wheels like the Calais has.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #17
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
I wonder how many Commodores they've sold in the last 20 years without air conditioning anyway.
Quite funny acutually, my old man bought a VP at the auctions back in 1992 and it was taken for granted that they had airconditioning. Well the VP he bought didnt have it- was probably the only car at the auction that didnt have it and he bought it by accident. He didnt keep it long and that was one of the reasons.

So about bloody time that Holden made it standard.

To be deadly honest the Holden response is pretty lame (Its good cause Ford needs the start), i was really worried about a bigger upgrade, a real killer- So from Holden we have airbags & Aircon, the wagon and some dream concept eye candy- Still selling craptacular 180kw 4 Speed Omega.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #18
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bet Holden fitted Air conditioning standard on all VE Omega's anyway. A way of making the base price look better than it is.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:11 PM   #19
ELtim
Six One Eight

VE's are butt ugly anyway.

For Sale: Year Old Gas System
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=2644272#post2644272
ELtim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 08:55 PM   #20
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

A mate's dad tried to buy a VT Executive manual without air-con, basically refusing to part with anything more than the absolute minimum $.

He told the dealer he'd go elsewhere, even go and look at the new AU Falcon, unless he could drive it away for $30k approx. Didn't want air-con, "never use it" he said.

Upshot is that the dealer could not locate a non-aircon manual VT and ended up giving him an air-equipped sedan for the same money as one without !
:
SSVPom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 08:56 PM   #21
FordFella
Hoon (I wish!)

At least this means Holden recognises FG as a serious competitor, having ot outgun it. Funny they didn't change spec when the Aurion had 6 airbags standard? Aurion may be a serious competitor (3rd largest selling large car), but Holden certainly doesn't recognise it.

: If only I were old enough :
FordFella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #22
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I Digress.

Wheels 2008 COTY test possible quote " The VE against the FG has been weighed, measured and found wanting".

Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #23
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

That looks tough. I want one!!!!
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 09:30 PM   #24
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
I Digress.

Wheels 2008 COTY test possible quote " The VE against the FG has been weighed, measured and found wanting".

Yes that is the Best I Agree Sooooo HOT!
Buddy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #25
YAKXR8
XR8IT

that is very nice, just one slight issue the blue oval badge should not be replaced. Dont get me wrong fpv is the stuff but you need the big blue oval