Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:06 AM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default How to use slicks /front runners?

Guys. I have some mt slicks in my shed.I dont know how to use em. Will they give me better 1/4 mile et? How about the frontrunners? What tyre pressure do these things work at?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 12:50 AM   #2
tel408
Your converter do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Guys. I have some mt slicks in my shed.I dont know how to use em. Will they give me better 1/4 mile et? How about the frontrunners? What tyre pressure do these things work at?
They should give you better performance. Thats what they were designed for. Short sharp burnout is all that is needed. I run 33x15x15 and run about 7-8psi in them. Try starting at say 10psi and then go down 1psi per run and see were it likes it. These are cold figures. if you put in 10psi cold, afther a run they will go up around 1psi to 11psi. It is absolutley critical to check tyre pressure before each run to make sure that they are always the same psi as slicks have pouris side walls and constantly loose air. If you pump the slicks up and get say a squigy bottle of water, spray the side walls, and you may see air bubles.

A1 Performance Torque Converters
tel408 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 05:45 AM   #3
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has given endless help in the cleveland section over the years. Knows his stuff and happily tests on the track and gives no fuss results. 

You may also feel the rear of the car drifting around a bit compared to the stiff walled street radials.

You are supposed to use the front runners with rear slicks as a rule.....due to the above.

You running a manual or slush box? Just so you don't embarrass yourself first time out, if you are stick shifting it.....they won't spin off the line and they can bog your motor right down if you don't launch with enough rpm. Nothing huge, but don't baby it too much or you could stall it ;) Auto = no probs!

They really make their money on a car that keeps spinning off the line and thru the gear changes. What's your current 60ft time? Does it spin? Do you have to granny it off the line?

TruBlu351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

It is a 4.0 na six. the car in its last outing pulled 2.068 and 2.078 60 footers. There was no wheel spin.I was using mt et streets. Hmm..I wonder if they will get me down the track quicker if I stall this up to the extreme max?
I never had traction before last outing. i had lsd conversions in the past and the car always single spun until last outing when I had the diff redone. It seemed the tyres never got hot but they didint spin either. I put this down to the diff. The slicks then may not make a difference to the et streets...? Correct?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unless you have a big stall and leaving the line at 5000 rpm, i wouldnt bother with slicks, especially when your 60ft time is very good considering the power you have there. The MT streets are a very good tyre too.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your MT streets will be fine Stav with the setup you have, dont under estimate Mt streets, very good tyre.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

MT streets tmk are radial so you can run your road tyres on the front..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #8
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

drag slicks and front runners mounted on light weight wheels may knock 2 tenths of your time, not from traction, but from lighter weight, less rotational mass to accelerate

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post