Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-11-2007, 08:31 PM   #1
WoodysXR6
Wanting a sprint!

Default floor lights question

Hey everyone, i was wondering how much trouble i have to go through to put the courtesy lights for the front floors in my car.
I can see the mounts under the dash just unsure were to attack the wires to

thanks guys... Craig

Old 24-11-2007, 11:02 PM   #2
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Cant you patch them into the wires from the button?
Old 25-11-2007, 12:32 AM   #3
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

woooo can we please have a proper how to on these one and possibly a right up on the rear courtesy light on the glove box??

fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11247663
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2007, 10:05 AM   #4
WoodysXR6
Wanting a sprint!

Yeah that would be sweet i wonder what there are wired to standard on a fairmont.
Old 25-11-2007, 10:18 AM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xr220Au3
Yeah that would be sweet i wonder what there are wired to standard on a fairmont.
They are wired into a plug in the high series cars. It's possible the low series also have them - I know the AU series 1 XR8s certainly do in the doors, but not sure about under the dash/floor area. You are looking for a small 2 wire plug that has one green/yellow wire and one black (or black/blue).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2007, 10:22 AM   #6
WoodysXR6
Wanting a sprint!

thanks ill look at it today cheers
Old 25-11-2007, 12:58 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Let us know how you go with it.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2007, 05:28 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

XR's dont have the loom required to just make it a plug and play job, you will need to make the looms up yourself and connect them up. Ive done it to my ute, its a 10 minute job once you have the right parts.

Ive also posted up the tutorial on aufalcon.com
Old 25-11-2007, 05:39 PM   #9
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
XR's dont have the loom required to just make it a plug and play job, you will need to make the looms up yourself and connect them up. Ive done it to my ute, its a 10 minute job once you have the right parts.

Ive also posted up the tutorial on aufalcon.com
Good job Aust, there's next weeks mod!
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2007, 05:52 PM   #10
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xr220Au3
Hey everyone, i was wondering how much trouble i have to go through to put the courtesy lights for the front floors in my car.
I can see the mounts under the dash just unsure were to attack the wires to

thanks guys... Craig
I just added a loop to a relay off the roof light and timer . works fine .relay solves excessive current demand off the existing circuit
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2007, 06:16 PM   #11
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

Had it done to mine was one of the best things i've done.
Old 25-11-2007, 06:31 PM   #12
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

This was one of the first mods i did to mine when i bought it.
Some of the xr models have the plug under the passenger seat. Its tucked under the carpet, this is where the loom for the rear console light connects too. I just made another loom that runs from it under the carpet and does the 2 lights under the dash. Wrapped the whole lot in black electrical tape and cabled tied it to the original loom. Cant even tell its not meant to be there.
TICK4D-TAS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2007, 07:42 PM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbit
Had it done to mine was one of the best things i've done.
Agreed mate, for a mod that costs under $20 to do including all your parts, it makes an awesome difference to your interior at night - very classy. I'm going to experiment with white LED's in there soon and see if i can make it even better.
Old 25-11-2007, 07:46 PM   #14
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

i'm happy with the 80c bulb....can't justify leds at $10 each!!
Old 25-11-2007, 08:45 PM   #15
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Agreed mate, for a mod that costs under $20 to do including all your parts, it makes an awesome difference to your interior at night - very classy. I'm going to experiment with white LED's in there soon and see if i can make it even better.
i did blue LED's in mine, and as i whor'd the pic out, i had the LED's angled to light up a parabola around the ford logo on my floor mat.

looked cool, but not practical for light, i since changed it and wired in Neons and IMO look a lot better, and produce more light. not as cool without the ford logo glowing blue, but now i can see in my footwells lol.
Old 27-11-2007, 11:04 AM   #16
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

I did mine with blue neon’s in both foot wells. Took me an afternoon to do.
I wired mine in off the dome light (wire is behind the drivers a pillar cover) and I have a key light to wire in as well when I get around to it. This is all on a base model XL ute. I didn't use a relay as two neon’s don't draw many amps, but for anymore I would use a relay.
The reason my install took an afternoon was the I wired mine up to the "cluster dimmer" switch on the headlight switch. Since I am soon going to change all the dash lights to LED's, I have wired the neon's up so that I can turn them on using that dimmer switch, since it was soon going to be obsolete

Pics included

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 09:06 PM   #17
WoodysXR6
Wanting a sprint!

: Well guys i have it all sorted out and she's all like a christmas tree now.

Cheers TICK4D-TAS for your tips.

Cheers guys
Old 17-02-2008, 11:02 PM   #18
BFD83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lookin really sweet there craigy! now hurry up and do mine damnit! hahaha
BFD83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #19
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

They look really good... i must got mine done i think, but is it to tacky putting in coloured LED's to match my window switch LED's?
Old 18-02-2008, 11:36 AM   #20
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you're going to go with LEDs, get them off ebay. I put blue LEDs off ebay in, the ones that have in inverted end so spread the light better. They certainly weren't $10++ each like the ones at autobarn etc, I bought enough LEDs to do parkers, indicators, rear bumper illumination and all interior lights (inc. festoons, shifter bulb, rear reading lights, front map lights, front doors, and footwells), and it was about $70 IIRC. I put ultra white ones in the roof/reading lights and blue in all the floor level lights. Also did the window switches and some dash switches in blue. It lights up like day, it's awesome compared to that yellow light you get from standard bulbs.
ebay user I bought off was called warden_jp2002 in case anyone's interested. I've bought a lot of stuff off him with no dramas. If anyone needs to know which bulbs to get let me know.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 11:56 AM   #21
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
If you're going to go with LEDs, get them off ebay. I put blue LEDs off ebay in, the ones that have in inverted end so spread the light better. They certainly weren't $10++ each like the ones at autobarn etc, I bought enough LEDs to do parkers, indicators, rear bumper illumination and all interior lights (inc. festoons, shifter bulb, rear reading lights, front map lights, front doors, and footwells), and it was about $70 IIRC. I put ultra white ones in the roof/reading lights and blue in all the floor level lights. Also did the window switches and some dash switches in blue. It lights up like day, it's awesome compared to that yellow light you get from standard bulbs.
ebay user I bought off was called warden_jp2002 in case anyone's interested. I've bought a lot of stuff off him with no dramas. If anyone needs to know which bulbs to get let me know.
Thanks for that mate... any chance of some pictures?

I was also thinking of buying the ones you can get from Jaycar... normally the same stuff as Ebay anyway...
Old 18-02-2008, 11:59 AM   #22
gregsAUII
Me AU's cheap and clean.

do most falcs have the lights in them and will my forte have the looms in it what do they look like?

Last edited by gregsAUII; 18-02-2008 at 12:04 PM.
gregsAUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 08:36 PM   #23
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default pics at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
Thanks for that mate... any chance of some pictures?
Here's some pics mate (sorry they're a bit crap)

The light in the tray under the ashtray in the centre console isn't standard, I spliced it in yesterday, running it off the auto shifter light so it's always on when the headlights are on. I like it.
Old 20-02-2008, 08:50 PM   #24
HLC
Audi S3

looks good Matt. i got a similar set up to with you LED's absolutely everywhere.

Parkers, side repeaters, numberplate lights, dome light, power window switches, tbar surround, had footwells- now neons, dash switches. just need to do the rear courtesy lights and map lights and thats it. lol
Old 20-02-2008, 09:34 PM   #25
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
looks good Matt. i got a similar set up to with you LED's absolutely everywhere.

Parkers, side repeaters, numberplate lights, dome light, power window switches, tbar surround, had footwells- now neons, dash switches. just need to do the rear courtesy lights and map lights and thats it. lol
For the map lights go with the high intensity LEDs, the normal ones don't cut it. There's also an LED you can get that goes straight into the rear courtesy light bulb holder, which simplifies things greatly, it's even angled correctly etc.

I think it's these ones...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs-...1521QQtcZphoto

And these are the HI ones
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs-...6682QQtcZphoto
Old 21-02-2008, 09:06 AM   #26
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICK4D-TAS
This was one of the first mods i did to mine when i bought it.
Some of the xr models have the plug under the passenger seat. Its tucked under the carpet, this is where the loom for the rear console light connects too. I just made another loom that runs from it under the carpet and does the 2 lights under the dash. Wrapped the whole lot in black electrical tape and cabled tied it to the original loom. Cant even tell its not meant to be there.

Is that what those plugs are for? I am forever getting them tangled up when vacuuming under the seats! So if I want to put that rear light on the back of the console, I just have to use that plug under the seat?

Evan
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post