Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-02-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default P Plate Question

I hear that the SA P Platers don't have any car restrictions on V8s and the like, i was just wondering if it would be possible to obtain a SA P Plate licence and still be legal to drive in Victoria, is this even possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #2
vandrsxr6
Force Fed Fords

I think you have to have an imediate family member living in SA.

310rwkw and always chasing more

Now with 6th Gear

RAPID PERFORMANCE

ORSM FORD CRUISER
vandrsxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #3
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh okay, damn thanks anyway.
Quote:

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:57 PM   #4
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Just tough it out for 3 years...

So Glad I got my P's before the new laws came in =]

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 11:08 PM   #5
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661

Yeah, sounds better. Mum is going to give me her car when i get my Ps (White Festiva 1999 model) and i'll have $15,000 sitting in the koffers. If i buy my first car when i'm 22 i should have enough to buy me a brand spankin new Falcon or something.
Quote:

Old 05-02-2008, 01:12 AM   #6
Conrad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661

why? you only have a n/a xr6
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #7
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

What if I'm planning on supercharging it?

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 10:12 AM   #8
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You don't have to have a relo over there, but you have to prove residency, in the form of rental receipts, gas/power bills in your name with a SA address.

But, just remember Victorian Road Law applies to EVERYONE who drives in Victoria.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
paul_r_d

Big Kev is right, I know of people that have gone interstate just to get their p's, they came back to Victoria only to discover they end up back on their learners. You can get away with it until your pulled over by the coppers and act dumb "ohh I didnt know that". What ever state your in, you're bound by their rules and regulations.

The missus
2003 Rav4 4 door Cruiser
paul_r_d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 12:01 PM   #10
aye you
The Origional, The Best

So Trev, question for ya, in the NT we end up on our open licences 1 year after we get ou p plates, so, that been said I'm 19 with an Open, unrestricted licence, if I go to Victoria do that mean I'm considered a P Plater still?
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #11
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you drive responsibly in traffic and only open it up when no one else is around you'l be right.

I got my P's after the laws and I got a modified 6 that's well over 100db and a v8.

Never been pulled over in the v8. been pulled over once in the cortina. (only cause i stretched 1st out to 6,000rpm and the copper heard me) turned the car off straight away so the cop couldn't hear the cam.

I'm definatly no angel on the road i've had my P's for 6 months and havn't lost a point.

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 05:46 PM   #12
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aye you
So Trev, question for ya, in the NT we end up on our open licences 1 year after we get ou p plates, so, that been said I'm 19 with an Open, unrestricted licence, if I go to Victoria do that mean I'm considered a P Plater still?
No it doesn't, but P platers have very few restictions in Victoria, mostly only 5 demerit points, power to weight cars and 0.00 BAC.

You wouldn't have to wear P Plates, but if you were to change to a Victorian licence then all the P Plate rules apply.

I live close to the NSW border and some kids with a parent in each State and prove residency in both, but live in Victoria get a NSW licence at 17 (whereas you have to be 18 in Vict) and they can drive OK here.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #13
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev
No it doesn't, but P platers have very few restictions in Victoria, mostly only 5 demerit points, power to weight cars and 0.00 BAC.

You wouldn't have to wear P Plates, but if you were to change to a Victorian licence then all the P Plate rules apply.

I live close to the NSW border and some kids with a parent in each State and prove residency in both, but live in Victoria get a NSW licence at 17 (whereas you have to be 18 in Vict) and they can drive OK here.
Very few?

You mean no V8s
No Turbos or Superchargers
No car with power to weight ratio over 125kw per tonne

Etc etc

The new laws suck bawls. IMO you can still gun the crap out of a Hyundai Excell and manage to kill yourself.
Quote:

Old 05-02-2008, 07:11 PM   #14
boxo
fit 'n' turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sFTW
Very few?

You mean no V8s

Etc etc

The new laws suck bawls. IMO you can still gun the crap out of a Hyundai Excell and manage to kill yourself.
Dude i did my "apprenticeship" in an EA 6cyl that maybe had 90kw's? And that was more than enough to get me into trouble quite a few times.
Im sure alot of the other guys here did the same. Without knowing how well you drive i say get a six LEARN TO DRIVE IT then look at upgrading its a great way to learn mate.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:48 PM   #15
andrewts
White Car Driver

Yeah mate I agree, your choice of vehicle is limited in this respect, but it's only for a short time, in which you can save money so when you do get your beast you can go all out on it.
andrewts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 07:57 PM   #16
BeastyEF

I have a 95 Fairmont that is stock as a rock and have gotten cought so many times doing stupid .
BeastyEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 07:57 PM   #17
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

I didnt know that that was the case here in SA!
Police are a little over board here though as far as mods and P platers are concerned.
I got hassled a fair bit in the old VY SS (totally stock) when I had my Ps, and even in the phoon without them. Not doing anything stupid and have a perfect history (touch metal!). But yeah, tough it out, how about forced induction/SChargers etc.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #18
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001
I didnt know that that was the case here in SA!
Police are a little over board here though as far as mods and P platers are concerned.
I got hassled a fair bit in the old VY SS (totally stock) when I had my Ps, and even in the phoon without them. Not doing anything stupid and have a perfect history (touch metal!). But yeah, tough it out, how about forced induction/SChargers etc.
No performance mods what so ever, exhaust included.
Quote:

Old 05-02-2008, 08:24 PM   #19
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Quote:
No performance mods what so ever, exhaust included.
OK far out! Poor guys! Just think of the machine you will be able to afford after the cooling off period though guys! :
Old 06-02-2008, 02:51 AM   #20
marcel syawish
Starter Motor

mate my dad gave me his GT and now i drive around with my P plates up every were and i still havnt had any trouble, iw as actully on chaple st one night and had my subs going off full when two police motor bikes pulled up on the other lane directly opposit me didnt even say anytthing.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:21 AM   #21
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Very few?

You mean no V8s

Etc etc

Errrr dude, if you go back and read my post, I actually say "power to weight cars"

I am not going to say whether I think the rule is a good one or nor not, but the rationale behind it is sound, but I think speed limiting cars is a far better option.

As far a s driving a GT, if you don't be a lardhead, the Police will generally leave you alone.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:58 PM   #22
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev
Errrr dude, if you go back and read my post, I actually say "power to weight cars"

I am not going to say whether I think the rule is a good one or nor not, but the rationale behind it is sound, but I think speed limiting cars is a far better option.

As far a s driving a GT, if you don't be a lardhead, the Police will generally leave you alone.
I see where you are coming from,
however a car capable of 0-100 time in 3.5 seconds then limit the car to 100 will not do much!