Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
The Lone Ranger
My young fella "Paddy"

Default Toyota Cab Chassis farce

Hi All, have just started looking for a suitable fourby to tow a van and possibly another purpose built trailer. Needs to be able to tow more than 2500 kg and have more than four cylinders and be a cab chassis design as I need to have a tray. At the moment I have a RTV and if there was a way that I could modify it to tow more than 2300 kg I wouldn't even bother considering replacing it. So down I go to Toyota at Morayfield and in their yard they have a new 09/07 build V8 Diesel Work Mate that they let me take for a test drive. Now while the new engine is a very sweet thing indeed the rest of it is just hopeless. How can they justify $60 odd thousand on a vehicle that is essentially the same as when it was introduced back in 1984 or there abouts. No ABS and no Air Bags not even as an option on either of the three variants. Oh yeah and If you want cloth on your seats instead of vinyl you have to by the GXL which then reduces the seating capacity to just two. All I could say to the salesman is that Toyota are very luck that Ford are unable to offer the F Series to the Australian market.

Cheers, Darren

The Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2008, 10:41 AM   #2
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow what a pain in the aye!!

maybe contact that corvette import yard up at gympie .. they sell all your ford and chev and all the other american full size pickup trucks etc

i think those workmate/ landcruiser looking things are ment for farmers and the such that just need a purpose built offroader that doesnt need to come to the dealership to get fixed..
Old 03-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

The Landcruiser 70 series is a very tough truck that is capable of doing just about anything you want it to do... Without all the crap that can interfere with farm work like ABS and the safety gear.

It's almost a year waiting list for one..
Old 03-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #4
The Lone Ranger
My young fella "Paddy"

I guess I realise what you say about it being a farm truck and all the rest of it but at that price they just have to be kidding. And take it from me that you do not have to wait for a year for one. Just go to Martin Jonkers Toyota at Morayfield. And by the way they have also widened the front track of the new V8 meaning that the vehicle has to cut two tracks when doing it rough through sand etc.

I have thought about venturing to Gympie however I am worried about warranty and the availability of spare parts etc and also insurance.

Darren
Old 03-02-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is what you want

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars..._id=0&trecs=91
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2008, 12:25 PM   #6
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

What about a Nissan Patrol Ute?

Sounds like it would fit the bill perfectly

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2008, 12:47 PM   #7
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

F-350 all the way, you should be able to find late 80's - early 90's ones for a fraction of the price of post 2000 ones
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #8
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

What about the Ford Ranger 3.0 I6 TD, Tows 3000kg, which is more than the Hilux (Hilux only good for 2250kg according to Toyota's website) and is cheaper than the Navara and newer than the Rodeo. That's the one I would go for, you could probably pick one up brand new top of the range with a dropside tray for about $38,000 with everything you could need. Look pretty decent to.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:17 PM   #9
The Lone Ranger
My young fella "Paddy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
What about the Ford Ranger 3.0 I6 TD, Tows 3000kg, which is more than the Hilux (Hilux only good for 2250kg according to Toyota's website) and is cheaper than the Navara and newer than the Rodeo. That's the one I would go for, you could probably pick one up brand new top of the range with a dropside tray for about $38,000 with everything you could need. Look pretty decent to.
We travel a lot between Brisbane and Townsville so a four cylinder is just not going to cut it, turbo or not. We have a neighbour who has a 3.0 TDI Patrol and tows a 19 foot van and he says that they are definitely lacking for heavier duties.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:30 AM   #10
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Patrol weighs a good 500kg more to start off with. Cant say ive towed anything with a Ranger but it goes like a stink without anything. Patrol on the other hand is a lame duck from the get go.

A few mods and they would be packing more torque than an XR6T.
Go drive one and see.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 11:05 AM   #11
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Get a used F250. Pickles have a trayback here.

http://www.pickles.com.au/cars/vehic...otid-452045267

Quote: