Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: whats worse for a cold engine?
load 29 16.11%
rpm 65 36.11%
both are equally as bad 86 47.78%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2007, 11:01 PM   #31
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempster1
All mechanical and electrical engineers should be made to do a trade prior to studying engineering.
..yeh the 4 years of my life and 20G's it's cost ME (yeh, ME, not my parents or family or friends etc) doesn't cut the mustard ay.

You haven't tried to be at all helpful, rather flaming someone for explaining what happens AND why in terms anyone can understand. If I've made a stuff up somewhere I'll gladly be corrected but nobody has said anything so far.

A forum is about learning and being helpful where you can. Be a contributor or naff off.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2007, 11:09 PM   #32
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

You need some load on an engine...
Just drive normal ...Not like a di[khead...
Leaving an engine to idle is not the best either...
Buy the time I put my seat belts on etc is about as much time required for
oil to get around internal parts etc...I'd say no more than 1/4 throttle...
An auto is much easier in this dept as it always has load on engine...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 08:29 AM   #33
kempster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon
Load: Bad because applying higher cylinder pressures to a cold engine will result in more blow-by and increases the possibility of gases creeping past the head gasket, causing it to fail. Older english cars are notorious for blowing head gaskets with even a slight thrash when they're cold. As the engine warms up, the pistons expand as does the block and head, which reduces the clearance around the piston and increases the clamping force on the head (dependant on materials- an all iron engine may actually lose clamping force due to the lower coefficient of expansion of irons compared to high tensile steels.)

RPM: Bad because the oil is not warm and so is still thick. Giving an engine high revs when it's cold will greatly increase the stress on the oil pump gears and drive, possibly causing premature failure. If the the oil can flow into the pump sufficiently at that temperature, the high oil pressure created may blow out seals etc (again thinking about clamping forces) but if it can't suck the oil it wants, it may cavitate, causing pump damage and possibly causing starvation at the bearings. Another thing is how long it takes to run back to the sump- if all the oil is up the top, then say goodbye to bottom end bearings.

The thicker oil generally puts more stress on all engine components as it takes more torque or force to move them. Also, oil consumption is not helped either as the thick oil is more likely to stick to the bores as the scraper ring comes past. This plus greater cold clearances is why you get blue (oil) smoke when you give it to a cold engine.
Some better comments about your original post
I not sure how many people on this site have an old english car to warm up every morning.
The parts that your talking about warm up very quickly, idling cyclinder temp would be over 200 Deg C, so items like pistons and rings warm up almost instantly when the engine is started. All the other items you spoke about in the load section are taken care of by modern gaskets.

Oil pumps are designed to pump oil, they have pressure regulator valve and pressure relief valves to prevent them from being overloaded and getting damaged.
Multi grade oils take care of all the problems you discribed relating to the oil being cold.

For me the answer to the original question, as long as you have good oil pressure and do not flog the car for the first 100 metres.
That all you need to do to warm a car up.
kempster1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 09:15 AM   #34
ltd
Force Fed Fords

The important thing for an engine when cold is not to rush. Start the car, let it idle for the time you put your wallet, phone, coffee etc in place and then drive it gingerly. Short shifting is a good idea until the engine temperature guage starts to move off the stop and is on its way up. For those with automatics, just use the throttle lightly until you get some temperature in the engine. In aviation, one of the preflight checks is to have the oil temp and pressure in the normal range. Failure to allow the oil temperature and pressure to come up to normal will cause premature wear and can result in premature engine failure on takeoff.

In turbines, the engine oil temp and pressure again have to be up to temp/press normal ranges before taking off or again, failure can occur. If you have an engine failure on this type of aircraft and you failed to check or commenced takeoff without them being normal and you have an incident, then CASA will define this as substantially contributory to the incident and you will be held responsible.

It is unthinkable to try and operate an engine at any less a minimum standard. If you are the type who likes to thrash an engine from the time you start it then you should do an oil change, and then run a magnet around the bottom of the container you collected the used oil in. If you find that the magnet has got lots of little fine bits on it then you have your answer to the cold start question.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 12:07 PM   #35
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
..yeh the 4 years of my life and 20G's it's cost ME (yeh, ME, not my parents or family or friends etc) doesn't cut the mustard ay.

You haven't tried to be at all helpful, rather flaming someone for explaining what happens AND why in terms anyone can understand. If I've made a stuff up somewhere I'll gladly be corrected but nobody has said anything so far.

A forum is about learning and being helpful where you can. Be a contributor or naff off.

Mate dont worry about people like that, your better off ignoring these people. They're exactly like the electrical contractors I have to deal with. You have to hold their hands because some of the stupid things they do is absolutly amazing, like how can you put a one way drop lead on the wrong way...oh wait use a hammer....
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 04:35 PM   #36
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

Thats why the REmote Start was invented, not just a t0ss3r function
3:4:5 LSD diff
JMM Extractors
2.5" Stainless Steel highflow cat
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors
Lowered on Pedders Sports Ryders
....and a cherry scented airfreshner

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.
Hybrid34 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 04:48 PM   #37
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid34
Thats why the REmote Start was invented, not just a t0ss3r function
not sure how it'd work when you're meant to leave your car in gear..
Old 12-11-2007, 06:00 PM   #38
Wally
XP Coupe

In old cars you had to let the engine fast idle for a 30 seconds just to stop it from stalling. This gave the fuel copious time to pour into the pots and give the sidewalls a good rinsing to get rid those pesky lubricants.

These days engines don't rely on the manifold heating up enough to vapourise the fuel; even cold start injectors are no more.

At cold idle the oil pump is not moving much oil around and about the only way to get it circulating sufficiently is to get the revs up.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2007, 01:12 AM   #39
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
In old cars you had to let the engine fast idle for a 30 seconds just to stop it from stalling. This gave the fuel copious time to pour into the pots and give the sidewalls a good rinsing to get rid those pesky lubricants.

These days engines don't rely on the manifold heating up enough to vapourise the fuel; even cold start injectors are no more.

At cold idle the oil pump is not moving much oil around and about the only way to get it circulating sufficiently is to get the revs up.

Oil pump is circulating at idle from startup, it is also in fact often circulating more pressure than normal due to the oil being under-temperature and therefore thicker. What I think you meant is that in the first second or two of startup whilst the pressure builds is where most of the engine wear occurs. This is not however arrested by revs. In fact, this is exacerbated by revs. For example, a mate used to have an EL XR8. On cold mornings, he'd start it up and rev the crap out of it under the guise of "warming it up". In the two years he owned it he managed to score the bores in 5 of the 8 cylinders, as well as blow a total 7 oil filters apart where the body joins the base. This was all because he thought revving it was good.

When they pulled the engine apart his warranty claim was denied on the basis of abuse, and ironically he used to drive it pretty calmly. I at the time had a DL 5 litre, and never had any of the issues he did. I just started it up, waited about a minute before driving it off slowly. This also helped the transmission and I only did a slightly leaking extension housing seal at 140,000klm. Again this was to guard against the higher pressure caused by the colder fluid.
As for ford saying not to let it idle, this is partially to prevent rust and corrosion in your exhaust from water vapour getting trapped in your exhaust and not being blasted out from exhaust gas heat and pressure. Also, this advice is from the same people who say never to service your transmission for the life of the vehicle. They are correct though in not letting your car idle if you aren't going to drive it, as this can cause corrosion in the heads too and lead to premature spark plug failure, as well as unneccessary coke build up.

Oh, and before you think of taking me on or try to belittle my knowledge of it, I'd suggest facts and not supposition. I know engines and although through my ATPL I studied turbines and turbo fans such as the RB211 and the JT9-D, oil lubrication necessities are much the same for bearings and friction surfaces whether they be titanium, alloy or iron.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2007, 05:01 PM   #40
Wally
XP Coupe

No I meant that you have to get the revs up for good circulation; I am not suggesting anyone "rev the crap" out of it.

I'd be interested to know what your oil pump volumetric rate is at idle, even with cold oil, and what it is at cruise revs. Static pressure with a thick oil does not translate to the same flow of a thin oil at the same pressure. Pumps are sensitive to specfic gravity and will almost always pump less with a higher head as the specific gravity increases. Raising the revs to fast idle with either a choke knob or autochoke was fairly common for quite a few decades when carbies were the go and I'm not sure it invalidated warranty?

Fear not I'm not about to "belittle" your input and experience, but as your are experienced with turbochargers, you'd know that when checking the flow through the CHRA into a milk bottle, the reduced flow when at idle and cold is noticeable.

I'll have to take your word for
Quote:
ford saying not to let it idle, this is partially to prevent rust and corrosion in your exhaust from water vapour getting trapped in your exhaust and not being blasted out from exhaust gas heat and pressure
. I heard something like this before, but never seen it substantiated in a Ford (or any other maker's) TSB so if you have a copy I'd be interested.

My experience is limited to hands on modification and rebuilding of engines over a 30+ year period and I can't comment on scored cylinder walls and burst oil filters from over revving, because I've never seen either in my builds... lucky I guess.
Old 13-11-2007, 05:39 PM   #41
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
For example, a mate used to have an EL XR8. On cold mornings, he'd start it up and rev the crap out of it under the guise of "warming it up". In the two years he owned it he managed to score the bores in 5 of the 8 cylinders, as well as blow a total 7 oil filters apart where the body joins the base. This was all because he thought revving it was good.
That's what I was getting at as well. There might be oil pressure relief valves...but try blowing cool honey through a straw and see how it goes.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2007, 06:20 PM   #42
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
That's what I was getting at as well. There might be oil pressure relief valves...but try blowing cool honey through a straw and see how it goes.
Oil pumps have a relief valve to regulate the oil pressure to about 40 - 60 psig. The only way you'd blow an oil filter is if the relief valve was faulty or too slow opening. Giving the engine a prolonged ragging at startup might just beat the relief valve action, but I'm sure that's not the intent of this thread.
Old 13-11-2007, 08:59 PM   #43
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I turn my car idle, heaps of choke so it doesn't cut out for about 30 seconds then straight to work. It still stalls on cold mornings sometimes coming to a stop etc if it's all not right, but the engine's never let me down.

Neither have any of mine, or families car from been driven from cold.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2007, 11:27 PM   #44
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
No I meant that you have to get the revs up for good circulation; I am not suggesting anyone "rev the crap" out of it.

I'd be interested to know what your oil pump volumetric rate is at idle, even with cold oil, and what it is at cruise revs. Static pressure with a thick oil does not translate to the same flow of a thin oil at the same pressure. Pumps are sensitive to specfic gravity and will almost always pump less with a higher head as the specific gravity increases. Raising the revs to fast idle with either a choke knob or autochoke was fairly common for quite a few decades when carbies were the go and I'm not sure it invalidated warranty?

Fear not I'm not about to "belittle" your input and experience, but as your are experienced with turbochargers, you'd know that when checking the flow through the CHRA into a milk bottle, the reduced flow when at idle and cold is noticeable.

I'll have to take your word for . I heard something like this before, but never seen it substantiated in a Ford (or any other maker's) TSB so if you have a copy I'd be interested.

My experience is limited to hands on modification and rebuilding of engines over a 30+ year period and I can't comment on scored cylinder walls and burst oil filters from over revving, because I've never seen either in my builds... lucky I guess.
Fair enough. Without going into specifics oil pumps are generally rated at a higher pressure than needed to prevent wear when cold, which is why oil pressure tends to be higher at cold startup; to take into account the thicker viscosity without starving the engine from lubrication.

I have no experience with turbo's, what I have studied extensively and have passed my examinations on is turbine engines, engines as small as the pratt and whitney PT6 750 shaft hp turboprop up to the GE90-115B turbofan with 135,000 shaft hp (think boeing 777).

These engines have very sophisticated lubrication systems and although turbine temperature often reaches 1200 degrees celsius before actually starting, their lubrication even at the first primary spool up is crucial.
As in these engines and in ICE the oil pumps pump a static pressure, which is easily exceeded on revs with a thicker oil. When the static pressure is exceeded that is where you can have problems such as blowing seals etc. As the oil heats up it loses some of its viscosity and ergo is at a lower pressure for the same revolutions.

To overcome problems with this as well as fuel introduction into the combustion chamber, manufacturers devised an auto start feature, much the same as fuel injection for your car. In the older pratt and whitney turbofans which had manual fuel introduction, it wasn't infrequent for passengers on planes to see a 50 foot long flame explode out of the rear of these engines due to overzealous fuel supply and/or a dirty hot section.

Anyway I digress, but you can actually do a lot more damage with higher revs and cold/thicker oil than with hot oil. This is why I drive my car gingerly when cold and always let it idle for a few moments.
To combat this problem however, manufacturers are now using much lighter viscosity oils such as the 5w-20 used in the 3v V8.

Quote: