Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: When lowering a car, should it sit -
Dead level ? 158 48.92%
Slightly lower in the front ? 107 33.13%
Slightly lower in the rear ? 48 14.86%
I'm a hick - massively lower in the front ? 5 1.55%
I think I'm a pilot - massively lower in the rear ? 5 1.55%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23-10-2007, 01:57 PM   #91
TheDutchGun
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
They've imported a couple but you pay premium price for them, therefore you rarely ever see one on the road. I live near a Ford dealer and when they had the previous model Stang there, it was more expensive than our local GT model.

Spent 2 weeks on a training course in Mass. last year and some inconsiderate person parked their current model red Stang in the parking lot. I think I spent 2/3 of my classroom time drooling over the Stang and 1/3 of it asleep. :P
I see Aussie Fords and drool.
TheDutchGun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 07:01 PM   #92
HSVETAR
Bring on the lion...

Depends on the car and how the wheel arches are.. i prefer to be lower in the back, but when you look at the car side on, the sills and bottoms of the window are level even tho the rear tyre is under the guard more than the front....
El falcon, 4.0, XR6 camshaft, pacemaker extractors, 2.5 inch exhaust with tri flow sports muffler, AU TE50 intake, with K&N panel filter, Advanti racing Stalker 17" rims, Sitting on Ultra Low King Springs, 'Gabriel' Ultras Lowered struts, NOW MANUAL, 3.45 LSD

9.694 @ 75.38 MPH at Mildura Drag Strip 1/8 Mile

XC Falcon project car underway......
HSVETAR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 04:14 PM   #93
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windza
That's the whole point of this thread - what reason is there to have a car lower in the rear. You say "not what looks best to the owner" and thats the only factor I could think of to have "backward" angle!
What are the datums for measuring how low the car is at each end? Without a datum the thread is pointless. Guard lip to ground, chassis to bump stop, lowest point of chassis to ground? Don't forget that more suspension travel is needed at the front of a typical car than at the rear, so having a car lower at the rear may be the best option for some cars. Couple in the fact that many cars such as older Falcons are also styled to look lower at the rear.

Dr Hemi,

I gather that was a humour photo where you left out the rear springs as a joke?
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 04:24 PM   #94
Windza

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
What are the datums for measuring how low the car is at each end? Without a datum the thread is pointless. Guard lip to ground, chassis to bump stop, lowest point of chassis to ground?
Point taken - although it's hard to give a technical/physical reference point that will give an "effective measure" as appearances can be deceiving (it's already been noted that older cars may appear lower in the rear because the guard to rim height is unequal front to back, yet the vehicle's chassis to ground height is vice versa). I think the poll is best left as posed because most ppl are basing answers on appearance rather than a technical measure. Hope that explains it... I wouldn't go as far as to say the thread is pointless (except maybe in larger life picture - but then maybe everything is!) as it has generated quite a bit of interest and discussion...
Windza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 04:59 PM   #95
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Point taken - although it's hard to give a technical/physical reference point that will give an "effective measure" as appearances can be deceiving (it's already been noted that older cars may appear lower in the rear because the guard to rim height is unequal front to back, yet the vehicle's chassis to ground height is vice versa). I think the poll is best left as posed because most ppl are basing answers on appearance rather than a technical measure. Hope that explains it... I wouldn't go as far as to say the thread is pointless (except maybe in larger life picture - but then maybe everything is!) as it has generated quite a bit of interest and discussion...
This poll just goes to illustrate how many people lower their car based mainly on looks without giving due regard to functionality.
Old 24-10-2007, 05:27 PM   #96
Windza

Quote:
This poll just goes to illustrate how many people lower their car based mainly on looks without giving due regard to functionality.
Your point being ? I freely admit I lowered my car more for the looks than the handling (although the handling improvement is welcome)... I have a fairlane - it's never going to be a track car, but it looks quite nice sitting low, it might even reduce the functionality somewhat but thats a sacrifice I'm willing to make.
Old 24-10-2007, 05:32 PM   #97
jweb
radio off =save petrol :P

Voted level but i does depend on the car,so it varies.
Old 24-10-2007, 05:45 PM   #98
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Your point being ? I freely admit I lowered my car more for the looks than the handling (although the handling improvement is welcome)... I have a fairlane - it's never going to be a track car, but it looks quite nice sitting low, it might even reduce the functionality somewhat but thats a sacrifice I'm willing to make.
I was trying to say in a polite way, that there are a lot of stupid people around who lower their cars way too far in the quest for a certain look or percieved improvement in handling, when in fact they have made their car a dangerous ill handling piece of crap, that should have a colourful canary yellow sticker placed on the windscreen.
Old 24-10-2007, 05:53 PM   #99
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
I was trying to say in a polite way, that there are a lot of stupid people around who lower their cars way too far in the quest for a certain look or percieved improvement in handling, when in fact they have made their car a dangerous ill handling piece of crap, that should have a colourful canary yellow sticker placed on the windscreen.
As you've pointed out very low cars are a handling nighmare because even mild bumps or undulations will cause it to bottom out and bump steer or "deflect" unpredictably...

Old 24-10-2007, 05:57 PM   #100
Windza

Ok - point taken - apologies if I came across abrupt... I fully agree with your choice of words - "perceived improvement"... I think that applies to 90% of minor modifications made (I've been guilty myself, thinking massive improvement but really it's not even noticeable)... K&N filter is a classic - while I do believe they make some improvement - I really don't believe it will ever be realised from a "seat of the pants" measurement... we've all seen the claims from time to time... here's a classic - "the car went harder with the K&N fitted than with it out" or "dropped 200rpm at cruising speed". Suprising what some can convince themselves of !
Old 24-10-2007, 09:45 PM   #101
GUNEF
GUNEF

i like a car dumped all-round. but with my car when it got do i when the same size springs all round and now i have had the springs in for around 3 months the rear is way lower in the back than the front. many of my school mates recon it looks tuff but i dont really minded it. mates recon it looks tuff when i plant it and the front of the car lift right up. i think it just give the aperance that the back is lower than the front becuase of the car guards?? this is the case with my ef falcon... also lost of commo driver are cheap and just cut their spring as evryone knows it is easy to do the back ones but not worth noing the frount becuase its too hard.
GUNEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2007, 05:06 PM   #102
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

keep the weight off the back for better skids too
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2007, 11:49 AM   #103
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

I saw a BA Grey/Silver Sedan today dumped on its ***, well the rear was prob dumped as far as possible, it was running on interceptors............

I thunk the owner had been hanging out with too many commodore guys

I didn't take a picture............... :(

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2007, 08:17 PM   #104
351buzz

xy-xc need to be slightly lower at the back (GT look). other models who cares.
351buzz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2007, 08:54 PM   #105
big_pete
Sublime

it really depends on the car. and for most street cars lowering isnt really about handling, its more about styling IMO
im a fan of the slightly lower at the rear on most cars, the front raked look just screams 80's to me. but at the same time it can look hot on the right car.

this looks cool but would have shitty handling, but its not the type of car that needs good handling
Old 29-10-2007, 02:56 PM   #106
BFYOOT

how about those low-luxes or what ever they are calling them, seem to be pretty popular at the moment. seen some where they dump the back so much they get a spark show. not my cup of tea, but some obviously like it. my choice, old school XB etc, lower at front with massive treads on the back, new school, pretty level but reasonably low
BFYOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 02:57 PM   #107
BFYOOT

whats the go with the back wheel on the bug? looks like some fat bloke got in the back seat and squashed it!!
BFYOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 03:15 PM   #108
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI
I saw a BA Grey/Silver Sedan today dumped on its ***, well the rear was prob dumped as far as possible, it was running on interceptors............

I thunk the owner had been hanging out with too many commodore guys

I didn't take a picture............... :(
I wonder who that could be :P

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 03:24 PM   #109
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFYOOT
whats the go with the back wheel on the bug? looks like some fat bloke got in the back seat and squashed it!!
Bugs don't like to be lowered...............

Natarul look after a bug is lowered too much.........camber issue, cant remember why!

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 06:13 PM   #110
Tiapan
XF 393 3v CHI heads

so who here did watts linkage mods after lowering?? if not do you notice your rear wheels are off centre? i.e. one (ussually the left) is closer to the gaurd then the other?

mine is low all round and when i put on the mt streets its slightly higher at he rear

Old 29-10-2007, 09:04 PM   #111
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_pete
it really depends on the car. and for most street cars lowering isnt really about handling, its more about styling IMO
im a fan of the slightly lower at the rear on most cars, the front raked look just screams 80's to me. but at the same time it can look hot on the right car.

this looks cool but would have shitty handling, but its not the type of car that needs good handling
VW's look unreal dumped. Much better than a Datsun 180B. :
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 09:13 PM   #112
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Ummmm,how about just raised at the back?
I dunno what to think,nice car and all but...
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 10:52 AM   #113
Neoxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFYOOT
how about those low-luxes or what ever they are calling them, seem to be pretty popular at the moment. seen some where they dump the back so much they get a spark show. not my cup of tea, but some obviously like it. my choice, old school XB etc, lower at front with massive treads on the back, new school, pretty level but reasonably low
Air bags help with this

'11 Nissan Navara D22 2.5L pickup!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by protd
because it looks gay, not just gay but mardi gra gay
Neoxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 12:52 PM   #114
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As stated earlier, comes down to the car and owner preference. Having a 60's ute with low rear arches, it just makes sense to have the rear tyres tucked, which is really an illusion, to make the back look dumped. however if you ignore that and look along the sills, if anything its still slightly front biased. I think classic cars look great if they're dropped, chopped, channeled, notched and bagged. The lower the better. Hard to make a choice. But for me, slightly lower to the rear in a classic, dead level for a late model, and Mexican rake for a period muscle car (nose dragging, up). But cant ignore the cool novelty factory of gassers and lowriders
LOCO XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 12:55 PM   #115
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378

Ummmm,how about just raised at the back?
I dunno what to think,nice car and all but...

Raised at the rear is something I have never understood,it looks bloody s%#t house...........
FORD3V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post