Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 18-10-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
MeTaLliC
Starter Motor

Default Unusual 94 Model Telstar GLX Fault

Hi Guys,

Please bare with me as I'm new here.

I own a 1994 Telstar GLX sudan (2.0l, 4 cylinder).

For the last 12 months I've been having some problems with it. On hot days, the car may not start. I'll explain it in greater detail.

When I go to start the car on a hot day, It simply keeps trying to kick over but won't as if there is no fuel in the engine. However, if you leave it to cool down for a few hours and you go to start it again she goes on the first go.

Now, we have replaced the fuel pump within the last 12 - 18 months as the original one which was in the car when we brought it 3 years ago died on us.

At the moment, we think its an electrical fault, but the problem is so intermittent that its hard to troubleshoot and most of the time it happens when I'm out and about (leaving me stranded for a few hours until I leave it to cool or I get a tow home).

Does anyone have any other thoughts as to what could be causing this? We have had a mechanic look at it and he was unable to find the cause of the problem.

I was able to reproduce the problem last night, and I think I've found the culprit.

The open circuit relay which provides the power to the fuel pump isn't engaging as it should be when its hot. The coil inside is being energized but the switch inside isn't being pulled towards the coil.

This is also evident when you turn the key into the "on" position and all the other relays work as they should.

I'll have to buy a new relay. If that doesn't fix it, then according to the ford repair manuals, it could also be the Engine Management Unit but it seems unlikely at this point.

The battery was also buggered, so we have had it replaced as well.

MeTaLliC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 11:07 PM   #2
fairBA
Banned

Yep - engine temp sensor - had this in both my 93 mx6 mazda (same car) and 93 tx5 ghia, enigne is told car is too hot - and it thinks it protecting itself. could not tell you how to fix but that was the prob.
fairBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2007, 02:20 AM   #3
dirty hands
Over Thinker

carry container of water and rags wrap around carby and temp switch to cool down the motor