Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-09-2007, 03:22 PM   #1
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Just shows it doesnt matter what you buy..

Well we have a VE Calais V8 6L thats done 8000 kays and I noticed it started leaking oil a week or so ago, not huge amounts just a little drop here and there, so I booked it in for an oil change and for them to sort out whats wrong with it, well i just got a phone call saying the motor has to come out as the sump needs to be taken off and re done?? Im a little shocked that they have to pull the motor out, i would have thought you would have been able to drop the sump from under the car without the entire motor, but the advisor seems certain that it has to be done.

Anyways this just proves that neither Holden or Ford are any better then each other, however i will say the particular dealers professionalism is very high compared to what I experience from most of the Ford dealers I have dealt with..

Lets just hope it goes back together okay....

2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 03:51 PM   #2
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Commodores are well known for leaking vital fluids
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose10
Commodores are well known for leaking vital fluids
I thought Ford's leaked and Commodores burnt the oil.

Needing to remove the Engine to replace the sump gasket is a fairly common. I'm very surprised this needs it after 8000 km though (even if it was 80,000 km). Something is amiss. If it was a much older car you might get away with a bottle of Nulon Stop Leak in it but it sounds like a faulty gasket or the sump bolts weren't done up properly or maybe a design flaw.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 06:16 PM   #4
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

bolts probably wern't tensioned right...

it'd be a bit hard to take the sump off with the engine in, maybe theyre giving it a once over as well?
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Normally the bolts are tightened with a DC torque gun that should screw it up to the recommended torque of the engineers, but sometimes these guns fail due to cross threading.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 11:09 PM   #6
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

i doubt its the sump gasket, they are metal ones with little rivets in them. at the end of the day its a new age v8 motor, if it doesnt leak oil it will burn it or the bores will go oval shape (ford boss motors do it too). at least you got away with an oil leak. motor shouldnt have to come out unless the k frame is designed differently to the vb - vz models, usually with those dump the k frame and support the motor from up top and away you go.
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 11:19 PM   #7
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE Bill_R]I thought Ford's leaked and Commodores burnt the oil.[QUOTE]

I remember looking at a brand new EB GT in Ford dealer's showroom in the early 90's and yes the motor was leaking oil!
cheers
Bill.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:53 PM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yift
i doubt its the sump gasket, they are metal ones with little rivets in them. at the end of the day its a new age v8 motor, if it doesnt leak oil it will burn it or the bores will go oval shape (ford boss motors do it too). at least you got away with an oil leak. motor shouldnt have to come out unless the k frame is designed differently to the vb - vz models, usually with those dump the k frame and support the motor from up top and away you go.
He said because it was a VE they couldnt do it in the car, and i have to believe him as they worked on it all day and it was still not ready...

Hopefully we get it back tomorrow!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 11:57 PM   #9
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

no worries. havent seen under a ve yet (no ve fleet cars have come through work yet). sounds like a of a job though!
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2007, 02:51 AM   #10
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
He said because it was a VE they couldnt do it in the car, and i have to believe him as they worked on it all day and it was still not ready...

Hopefully we get it back tomorrow!
They have some new fangle K frame under them I think,perhaps thats why they couldn't drop it?
Old 07-09-2007, 07:50 PM   #11
nb_351
building the xe...

they are similar to the way falcons have been for years, you have to drop the frame...
theres no two ways about it... not that bad of a job...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2007, 09:49 PM   #12
[dave]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if its a xf u can bash the sump with a hammer and make it come out with out havin to do much lol
[dave] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2007, 12:43 AM   #13
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol ^

God I love crossflows and the simple modifying you can do.

When I fitted an XF weber to my cast head 200 crossflow it wouldn't fit so I got a nice big heavy hammer and bashed in the side of the rocker cover. Was all good and carby worked fine.

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2007, 12:53 AM   #14
XR5Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEaaron
Lol ^

God I love crossflows and the simple modifying you can do.

When I fitted an XF weber to my cast head 200 crossflow it wouldn't fit so I got a nice big heavy hammer and bashed in the side of the rocker cover. Was all good and carby worked fine.
But what about your rocker gear?

Bottom line is Holdens AND Falcons leak oil from new, other cars don't.
XR5Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2007, 01:58 AM   #15
fmc351
let it burn

holes OIL LEAKS dents and engine noises.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2007, 02:06 PM   #16
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
holes OIL LEAKS dents and engine noises.
Holdaen?

As we have said, Ford and Holden need to improve their build quality.

Holden have the benefit of a competent marketing department, as well as a bandwagon media.

For this reason, Ford really need to lift their game. I hope the Orion, Kuga, Mondeo and Focus 2010- all raise Ford's profile immensely.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2007, 03:36 PM   #17
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

What is it with cars these day's , I bought one of the first TD XLE Cortina's from Thompson Ford , either late Nov, or early Dec 1974 , I had it back for a warranty job "Once" , can't even remember what it was so it must have been pretty small . Traded the Cortina in at Peter Warrens for a New 1980 XD S-Pac "Iron Head " 4.1 crossflow 4 sp wagon and never had it back for a warranty job .

My XB , that Dad bought at Thompson Ford , 1 week after I bought the Cortina , never went back for a warranty job either .

None of these cars had oil leaks , or mechanical problems .

Seems these day's 2 out of 3 cars spend day's/weeks at a time in for warranty jobs . You'd think it would have been the other way around with such "Technally Advanced" cars , or is that the problem .

Norm

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2007, 07:27 PM   #18
Conrad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
i just got a phone call saying the motor has to come out as the sump needs to be taken off and re done?? Im a little shocked that they have to pull the motor out, i would have thought you would have been able to drop the sump from under the car without the entire motor, but the advisor seems certain that it has to be done.
Thats the correct procedure in 95% of cases.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2007, 07:31 PM   #19
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by [dave]
if its a xf u can bash the sump with a hammer and make it come out with out havin to do much lol
Hey hey xf,s do not leak at the sump...ever...well they dont..
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post