Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 08-06-2007, 08:55 PM   #1
metalhead_mike

Default afew questions & afew pics...

bored and thought id upload afew pics of my new cruiser 6 cyl burgandy nl fairlane ghia. its very boring and stock at the moment but suprisingly good on fuel anyway i did have 2 questions:

1.whats the best aftermarket exhaust system for a fairlane?
(i'd leave it stock but the subtle electronic drone of the motor is starting to irritate me)

2.how much will it cost me to drop it on its guts and which combo is best of springs for front and rear? obviously the back springs need to be shorter than the front since fords sit so high in the back the front has new shocks im not sure of the brand they were done for the roadworthy when i bought it, whats the best brand shocks for the rear?

any feedback would be good....unless its bad :lookedat:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg NL Fairlane back.jpg (32.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg NL Fairlane side.jpg (33.6 KB, 58 views)
metalhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 08:59 PM   #2
Sundeep
Banned

Looks sweet as.

For springs I would slam it on King Ultra's all round and then some shortened shocks at the rear to help the ride and passenger comfort.

Enjoy.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 09:01 PM   #3
kelaserbro
Dose'in around town...

pedders sports ryder's are a good set of shocks for the *** you might need to upgrad the front deepends if it bouncy that much

go SL up front and SSL in the back if you want to get it decent level, but i find G-spec springs the best for leveling out any car

!^_^ Yay Shed clean out!!! ^_^!
Great stuff,
going at negotiable prices.

Click 4 Link.

W.T.B.- EF/L fairmont front bar "complete"
& belt driven yabby pump, preferably red
kelaserbro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 09:02 PM   #4
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

There are no bolt on exhausts for the 'Lane that I know of, both Fairlanes I've had, have had modified falcon exhausts.

As for the suspension, I'm going to go for superlow springs in the front, and ultralow springs in the back. It'll make it sit level and damn low
Any good reputable brand of shock will have some good short stroke shocks to suit. The rear shocks will be the same as any rear shock for EF/EL I6 or V8.

If you go that low, dont forget castor and camber!

I got quoted about $900 do have this done, but you could do it yourself cheaper.

EDIT - By the way... the NL looks sweet!

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 09:05 PM   #5
webby_191189
low wagooon

Nice clean lookin car there. But do we all get to have ago at you like you did to our rides? Theres lots we can pic. But unlike some ill try be mature and say it is a nice clean cruiser.

2 1/2 inch exhaust will sound nice and like the others said king ultra in the back and king supers in the front.

webby_191189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 09:06 PM   #6
kelaserbro
Dose'in around town...

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby_191189
do we all get to have ago at you like you did to our rides? Theres lots we can pic. But unlike some ill try be mature and say it is a nice clean cruiser.

wtf.... were did that come from lol.

!^_^ Yay Shed clean out!!! ^_^!
Great stuff,
going at negotiable prices.

Click 4 Link.

W.T.B.- EF/L fairmont front bar "complete"
& belt driven yabby pump, preferably red
kelaserbro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 09:07 PM   #7
frd_crzer
:D:D

mark_TD has a DF2 LTD he has gout Super lows all round and monroo shortened shocks in the rear and its a nice ride not rough at all
Old 08-06-2007, 09:09 PM   #8
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd_crzer
mark_TD has a DF2 LTD he has gout Super lows all round and monroo shortened shocks in the rear and its a nice ride not rough at all
He told me it was ultras in the rear... it sits very level, so I doubt there are supers in the rear.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Old 08-06-2007, 09:10 PM   #9
webby_191189
low wagooon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelaserbro
wtf.... were did that come from lol.
This guy has a habit of bagging out guys rides. But enough of that now. Its a very nice car.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:12 PM   #10
metalhead_mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby_191189
Nice clean lookin car there. But do we all get to have ago at you like you did to our rides? Theres lots we can pic. But unlike some ill try be mature and say it is a nice clean cruiser.

2 1/2 inch exhaust will sound nice and like the others said king ultra in the back and king supers in the front.
u dont need to mouth off about my car im a realist ill badmouth my own car..u cant see it on those pics but theres a fair few small scratches all over it and afew dents it also sits rediculously high in the *** end cause the sls was taken out by the previous owners and replaced with i dont know what,the headlights are slightly yellow and those stock fairmont/ghia "mags" its sitting on are an eyesore but for 6,200 u get what u pay for and it came with afew months reg and rwc
Old 08-06-2007, 09:13 PM   #11
webby_191189
low wagooon

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead_mike
u dont need to mouth off about my car im a realist ill badmouth my own car..u cant see it on those pics but theres a fair few small scratches all over it and afew dents it also sits rediculously high in the *** end cause the sls was taken out by the previous owners and replaced with i dont know what,the headlights are slightly yellow and those stock fairmont/ghia "mags" its sitting on are an eyesore but for 6,200 u get what u pay for and it came with afew months reg and rwc
I actually complimented your car and said it looked rather nice.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:16 PM   #12
metalhead_mike

it also came with a full service history from ford up too 205k and its done 211,000 and had the tranny replaced at 100,000km the interior is also immaculate and owned by a non smoker...the funny thing is i smoke it in regularly anyway
Old 13-06-2007, 05:53 PM   #13
metalhead_mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dose
Looks sweet as.

For springs I would slam it on King Ultra's all round and then some shortened shocks at the rear to help the ride and passenger comfort.

Enjoy.

Sundeep
so i wouldnt need shortened shocks for the front? i was planning to get super lows for the front and ssl (ultra low?) for the back. and what exactly does camber do? ive been qouted 350 for all 4 springs installed and told if i wanted shortened shocks camber ect it wont cost me any more than 900 all up with installation but id rather get away with lowering it for less than 900 if i could
Old 13-06-2007, 06:47 PM   #14
Nashy86

Camber has to do with your wheel alignment, its the angle that the wheel contacts the ground on (i.e running on the inside of the tyre, or the outside of the tyre) i think, without getting a kit you'll probably find that there is not enough adjustment to give your car a true alignment at that height, and you will scrub tyres

Thats what mine did, but it was lowered when I bought it, so I had the kits put in
Written off whilst parked!

FG Mk II XR6T
Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto,, Dark Tint
Awesome toy for Grown Ups!
Nashy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 07:16 PM   #15
metalhead_mike

wont the diff shift once its lowered? does anyone know what to do about that?
Old 13-06-2007, 07:52 PM   #16
Allen

The height of the diff relative to the road will never change, as this is determined by overall tyre diameter.
The body is lowered over the diff, which means that the angle of the tailshaft and trailing arms will change.

IIRC XR's (Athough only 25mm lower than standard) had shorter trailing arms to compensate.

Not too sure of the effect the angle changes has on the tailshaft...
Certainly cannot be good for the uni joints, and there is always the risk of the tailshaft rubbing on the floorpan, and the axle housings hitting the exhaust.

Someone may correct me on the above crap, but this is my understanding of it all anyway... :P

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Old 14-06-2007, 02:22 AM   #17
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

Nice car mate, saw one like yorus going up Jells rd the other day but in like a champage color, dumped on its ****, BIG rims n exahust, those cars look very hot when done nicley.....
I got no advice as everyone has said basically what i was going to say,...oh acutally, don't get big exahust, if you do..The EPA's Fu**as will be after you!!! (grr)
Anyway hope it all goes well for you, choose what you want to do wisly n make sure of it, or you'll never be 100% happy with your pride n joy
- Ash
3:4:5 LSD diff
JMM Extractors
2.5" Stainless Steel highflow cat
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors
Lowered on Pedders Sports Ryders
....and a cherry scented airfreshner

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.
Hybrid34 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 02:25 AM   #18
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead_mike
wont the diff shift once its lowered? does anyone know what to do about that?
Nope, the watts linkage on the Falcons is different to the panhard rod on the Commos.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 08:18 AM   #19
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

nice car mate. always wanted to put a 5.0l of these on the ground!
id put aside $2k to drop it. when ever u change springs u SHOULD change ur shocks but alot of ppl dont. do it once, do it properly ;)

Standard = 99.6rwkw <!> 2.5" SuperCat cat back exhaust, Wade 1636 cam, K&N boxed pod (new dyno required
Sony headunit, splits, 6.5"s and 2 x 12" with response precision amp = 135.5 dB

Daily = Ae82 '85 corolla Fwd :togo: , 5 speed, 12" sub, 6x9's, green LED's

the course i am studying: http://www.wodonga.tafe.edu.au/01_courses/course.jsp?id=AUR30905NANA
CaRtZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 10:10 AM   #20
crannersEL
Banned

Looks great mate, exhaust and lowering also sound good
crannersEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 12:46 PM   #21
metalhead_mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRtZ
nice car mate. always wanted to put a 5.0l of these on the ground!
id put aside $2k to drop it. when ever u change springs u SHOULD change ur shocks but alot of ppl dont. do it once, do it properly ;)
its getting done today i told them super low kings in front and ultra low springs in back with shortened munroe shocks in the rear and camber kit and allignment
they said the front shocks wont really need changing because they're brand new anyway and they told me its all guna cost under 900 bux
Old 14-06-2007, 10:51 PM   #22
webby_191189
low wagooon

did you get any pics?

Old 22-06-2007, 09:02 PM   #23
metalhead_mike

yes i have pics with 18 inch anz tycoon mags i wanted chrome but had to settle for shadow chrome and lowered
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15-06-07_1448.jpg (49.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 15-06-07_1449.jpg (37.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 22-06-2007, 09:15 PM   #24
EF Futura 07
14.915 @ 151 KPH

looks hot, well done!!!!!! :

EL XR Front, 16 inch Tickford's, Superlow's Front/Rear with Monroe GT Sport's : , XR6T Snorkle/Fram Filter, 4499's/Hi Flow Cat/2.5 inch Redback, 4.11's/LSD, 5% Tint, Sony Head Unit/ 6 1/2 Inch 190w Speaker's
: 14.915 @ 151 kph 60' 2.254 :
EF Futura 07 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post