Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 14-06-2007, 06:13 AM   #1
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Default Paypal.... I'm missing $500 !!!

I am getting extremely impatient, I need a fast answer and need one ASAP.

Someone accessed my account and sent about 300EUR ($480+ AUD) to an account in the UK)

My account is now on LIMITED ACCESS, that's not my gripe.... it's the fact I am out of pocket $500 and want my money back ASAP and close off my paypal account. for that very reason.

It is taking TOO LONG for PayPal to respond via e-mail (read down bottom for what you think I should do!?)

I'm actually surprised an employee at Paypal called me yesterday(WEDNESDAY) at (8:58AM) and basically told me they wanted to verify a payment that was sent out from my account. I told him I DO NOT GIVE PERMISSION. Yet, it seems to me that I am missing $500 from my account ANYWAY, so regardless of me accepting or not, I am out of pocket $500 from my bank account.

I just logged into Paypal and it appears someone had tried to steal $300 euro! from me! (actually, they did... so it appears?)

Transaction Amount: -€300.00 EUR
Transaction Date: 13 Jun. 2007

I got an email from this person to say "ACCEPTED" !! I didn't accept anything !!! time to get my $500 bucks back buddy!

I sent the 'receiver" an e-mail asking WTH just happen. he has told me 'paypal' contacted him saying a 3rd party had accessed HIS ACCOUNT as well as someone else's (MY ACCOUNT)and sent him money without me authorizing it. (but I was NOT told of anyone else's account being accessed)?

PLEASE NOTE:
E-mails are taking FOREVER to get responded to
I CANNOT CALL OVERSEAS
I CANNOT CALL LONG DISTANCE

I CAN CALL LOCALLY ONLY

I used SKyPE, and I can call overseas to TOLL FREE NUMBERS, but I do not have a PREMIUM or BUSINESS Account. - Should I still call anyway? I called, it connected then I hanged up 'cause I wasn't sure if I should call or not.

Old 14-06-2007, 08:06 AM   #2
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

and i just asked the girl in the bank yesterday about it and she assured me it was 100% safe yeah right after reading this i definetly will not be doing any internet banking
Old 14-06-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob 351
and i just asked the girl in the bank yesterday about it and she assured me it was 100% safe yeah right after reading this i definetly will not be doing any internet banking
Paypal and internet banking are diffrent. I have used paypal and internet banking for over a year each and havnt had any troubles at all, for the amount of people that use both the amount of complaints heard is pretty minimal.
Old 14-06-2007, 08:22 AM   #4
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

still haven't got an e-mail back from paypal or and call... and this is fraud related..

I might try give a call on their " toll free paypal business/premium" only numbers....
Old 14-06-2007, 08:46 AM   #5
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

I gather it was not the Ozzie paypal, still might be worth looking up the Ozzie Paypal contact and trying that way.

Paypal, Verisign, Ebay all the one company btw.

The comment re Internet Banking in this thread, I dare say your better off without it.
Old 14-06-2007, 08:55 AM   #6
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Have you, at any time, had an email from Paypal asking you to confirm, or update, you details?

If So, did you do so?

If the answer to both is 'YES', then there is your problem. I can't give you any instant solution on the missing money, but I find it odd that Paypal called you on the phone.....I've not come across that before.

To be honest I have used Paypal for a number of years, with regular transactions taking place to buy and sell goods and services, and have NEVER had any problem whatsover.

I have received several emails over the years asking me to confirm my details, or login, or even notifications that my account has been breached. None of these were ever from Paypal (though they looked authentic), and a quick login to Paypal proved all was fine with not only my account balance, but personal info and login details.

I'm not saying you don't have a reason to be ****ed off, but simply saying Paypal, and online trading/internet banking, is unsafe is nothing but hysteria. Persue the matter legally if possible, but only if you get nowhere with Paypal.

Keep in mind also, that they may very well have heard this story from many others who are simply trying to rort them, and retrieve funds they actually did spend, so give them a chance to investigate.....though being kept in the loop would be nice, from your end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge

Paypal, Verisign, Ebay all the one company btw.
Certainly are, which is another reason instant response may not have come. With millions of transactions per day it's probably just not possible to simply jump on your problem immediatly.

As for the doomsayers of internet banking, well, picture no online transactions, and still needing to physically go into a bank branch for every little thing.......
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums

Last edited by Quasi; 14-06-2007 at 09:02 AM.
Old 14-06-2007, 09:04 AM   #7
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

No I never received such e-mail, and even if I did I already know not to reply...

I also know not to give account details over the phone... (apart from the ones where I need to identify myself with the 4 last digits of my account number, phone number, first and last name etc..

I got through on a TOLL FREE Number (US Number I think, but she sounded filipino , so I dunno if it was in the US or not. anyway.

Skype was cutting in and out of the call (damn its slow) and was really difficult to understand the lady due to skype. Thus I ended the call.

Still haven't got an e-mail from paypal, 10+ hours ago.
Old 14-06-2007, 09:22 AM   #8
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Just double checked email from paypal yesterday:

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your concerns. I am happy
to assist you further.

As soon as you complete the steps to lift your limited account access, you
may then proceed with the appeals process.
... jeebus now I have to fax off my details BEFORE I can claim MY money... they don't make life any easier do they lol....
Old 14-06-2007, 09:58 AM   #9
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Been using it for years now and never had a problem. Look after your PC correctly and you shouldn't either.
Old 14-06-2007, 10:01 AM   #10
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Come on......... what more do you want me to do??? I have anti virus, I also have lavasoft etc etc.. and a firewall ..

I guess its' a case of someone guessing my password... or having godlike powers to know my password :
Old 14-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #11
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A year or so ago, Paypal was hacked and something like a million AMEX cards had their information stolen. It was widely reported in the media.
Old 14-06-2007, 11:33 AM   #12
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

tin foil hat time

also in other news.........

the money arrived in my bank almost safe and sound... until I noticed a $65 in transaction fee's.. shame really.

but whatever they do with their investigation and if they keep my paypal locked, that's their problem.
Old 14-06-2007, 12:38 PM   #13
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i've been using paypal and internet banking for several years now without any issues.

paypal does take ages to reply to emails. if you're getting impatient after 10 hours, then you'll need to learn to be more patient. they usually take a day or two to reply.

my suggestion, and this is what i do: keep your paypal account with a minimum balance. i never have more than $20 or so in that account. if i need to make a transaction that requires a larger amount of money, i tell the other party to wait 3-4 days. this allows me to transfer whatever money i need from my bank account to my paypal account.

i would never have $500 just sitting there. it's not a bank account.
Old 14-06-2007, 12:47 PM   #14
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
Come on......... what more do you want me to do??? I have anti virus, I also have lavasoft etc etc.. and a firewall ..

I guess its' a case of someone guessing my password... or having godlike powers to know my password :
Thought that might happen. Sorry Kyro, wasn't referring to your Paypal problem, I was answering Bob's post on internet banking.
Old 14-06-2007, 01:11 PM   #15
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unco
i would never have $500 just sitting there. it's not a bank account.
Mate.. that's the thing... I did not have anything in my PayPal account... it happens with everyone , if you want to add funds to your PayPal account you do so via paypal... I can buy something over the net using PayPal and get it instantly... but it automatically deducts that amount from my bank account.

If I had $500 in my PayPal account and it went walk-abouts I wouldn't of been worrying as much, but because it came straight out of my bank account... it got my worrying!
Old 14-06-2007, 01:20 PM   #16
Sprint347
Tickford

i've used paypal for years and made some rather large transactions through it without trouble.

unless someone knows your paypal address and password (have you been 'phished?') the chances of someone 'hacking into paypal and stealing your $500' are next to zero.

the internet has proven to be EXTREMELY SAFE over the years for me, and touch wood i've never lost anything. Be smart with your credentials and you shouldn't have any trouble.
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Old 14-06-2007, 03:06 PM   #17
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mate.. that's the thing... I did not have anything in my PayPal account... it happens with everyone , if you want to add funds to your PayPal account you do so via paypal... I can buy something over the net using PayPal and get it instantly... but it automatically deducts that amount from my bank account.
i don't really understand that bit. if i buy something using PayPal and i don't have sufficient funds in my PayPal account, i simply wouldn't be able to complete the transaction due to the lack of funds.

because i choose to pay for something using PayPal doesn't mean that it will automatically take the money out of my bank account.

i have to manually go into my paypal account and transfer the funds first. this takes 2-3 days. once my paypal account balance is topped up, i can then buy whatever i like.

looks like we have our accounts set up differently and i dare say mine seems safer?
Old 14-06-2007, 03:32 PM   #18
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unco
i don't really understand that bit. if i buy something using PayPal and i don't have sufficient funds in my PayPal account, i simply wouldn't be able to complete the transaction due to the lack of funds.

because i choose to pay for something using PayPal doesn't mean that it will automatically take the money out of my bank account.

i have to manually go into my paypal account and transfer the funds first. this takes 2-3 days. once my paypal account balance is topped up, i can then buy whatever i like.

looks like we have our accounts set up differently and i dare say mine seems safer?
If I want to buy something with paypal I can do so instantly - no need to transfer funds ect. - its usually not linked to your bank account but usually to a credit card. If something does go wrong you are covered by paypals insurance up to a certain amount ($1000?), and also your credit card company can reverse the transaction. I know what Kyro is talking about and it seems someone must have guessed his password.

I have used paypal/internet banking for years without any trouble whatsoever. "Paypal" once called me to confirm my addres and password - I told them to $%%^ off - they are scammers, NEVER EVER give out any details.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
Old 14-06-2007, 03:59 PM   #19
jonk

I have a business account with PP, I upgraded to it. I've had problems with people claiming my account but PP was excellent in handling it. I've had to fax off copies of driver's licence n'stuff, all was fixed in less than 48 hours.

The same goes for ebay btw, I've never had the long drawn out prob's your having. I have an easier time dealing with these two than banks here in Oz when things go pear shaped.
Old 14-06-2007, 05:12 PM   #20
Thornie
Off smelting

strange, at least you got most of your money back. Now one question is have you had any dodgy emails or been to any dodgy sites of late, there are alot of keylogger virus's floating around atm.
Old 15-06-2007, 03:15 PM   #21
Chippar
The Ancient Warrior

Quote:
still haven't got an e-mail back from paypal or and call... and this is fraud related..

I might try give a call on their " toll free paypal business/premium" only numbers....
I see that you have got most of your money back, which is a good thing but if you want to chase it up further, their phone number is 02 8223 9500 which I think, will get a human voice on the other end of the phone.
Old 15-06-2007, 03:31 PM   #22
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive been using internet Banking for 6 years now and havent had a problem until this morning. $1,800 had been transfered to someone in the Ukraine. My banks fraud unit is handling it and I should have my money back in the next 3 weeks or so. I know exactly how you feel
Old 15-06-2007, 05:18 PM   #23
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
nah internet banking is as safe as the user and users computer.....

ie. how do you think your bank does business...its not with letters and pigeons...its done over the internet

i wasnt being nasty just giving you another opinion

paypal wise...never used it..dont have a credit card

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
Old 16-06-2007, 06:08 PM   #24
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Some dodgy people have been on a phising trip by the sounds of it.
Old 16-06-2007, 10:37 PM   #25
fordxrtfan

I use both internet banking and paypal and have done for a few years now. I dont keep money in my paypal account but when I go to pay for something it can either be taken out of my account or my credit card.

Keep your computer safe and dont reply to dodgy emails from Paypal.

Hope you sort it out

Winter White
6 Speed Manual, Sunroof, Premium Audio System, Side Airbags, Bluetooth, DVD Satellite Navigation, Reverse Parking Sensor, Ipod/MP3 kit, Tinted windows, Brembos, Enkei RPO3 wheels
Phase 3 kit, installed & tuned by Autotech 332rwkw
!!FOR SALE!!
Old 17-06-2007, 06:41 AM   #26
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

yeah don't anyone get stuffed over

This is what my PayPal now looks like after it had ZERO Balance on it, in the first place.. =)

and this is I am in debt $30 in my savings account !

.. anyway, in the end at least I got majority of my money back !
Old 17-06-2007, 08:29 AM   #27
RACE38
Wagooon Master

Thumbs down

Quote:
yeah don't anyone get stuffed over

This is what my PayPal now looks like after it had ZERO Balance on it, in the first place.. =)

and this is I am in debt $30 in my savings account !

.. anyway, in the end at least I got majority of my money back !
Mate,
Your issues are the exact reason, I only accept "POSTAL ORDERS" for my sales on eBay.
PayPal is indirectly connected to eBay, and while eBay is a good thing basically.
If you have a gripe with them, you just try and get anything better that an email from some pimply faced, hairy assed kid.
I had an issue with the recently, over eBay owing me $2000 in unpaid advertising to the point where they cut me off from eBay.
It was until I sent a Full On email, stating that I was going to Dept of Fair Trading, ACCC, The Pope, A Current Affair & my Mother In Law that they restored my account.
Months has passed, still no sign of the $2000 and no further contact, you can't phone them up nuttin' I did get hold of an eBay phone number once and all I got was a recorded message stating that they don't have phone contact at all.

I'm personally very happy you got your freight back in your hands, but YOU shouldn't have copped a $30 fee for something you didn't do.

Phil

Supporting
St.George Illawarra Dragons :
Street Action Magazine
&
REDCLIFFE DYNO & PERFORMANCE

BLUE TO THE BONE!!! :
Closed Thread