Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 13-06-2007, 09:36 PM   #1
Beetus
Now drifting a falcon

Default holden v6 thermo onto eb xr8 conversion

hey everyone,
i wanted to get rid of the fan, and all the e series thermos go like the chips where i am, so i wanted to get a cheap thermo conversion. I thought to myself what was the most common car with a thermo? a v6 commodore lol, i got one of a vs v6 it slid straight in looks great screwed it into the radiator lip, hooked up a switch to turn it on and off in the cabin........bobs your uncle! only down side is its a holden part....... bugger ay. total cost 10 bucks!!

Beetus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 09:56 PM   #2
Skooter

Hmmm good thinkin falcon thermo's are expensive everywhere lol. When I was looking for thermos on ebay I always saw the holden ones and wondered if they would work because there're so cheap compared to the falcon ones. You could hook the fans up to a temp switch so they would turn on automaticaly when the engine gets to a certain temp, which might be handy if someone else is driving your car, or if you forget to turn em on!

Good on you for trying something new.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 10:25 PM   #3
smally289
growing up is optional

pics would be good!
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 10:27 PM   #4
robtek

mate fantastic idea.....and only $10 for complete setup?? ....i must be tired or not reading it right lol :P ...mate if its only $10, or even $20..i'll get on it next couple of days....any advice that I should look out for while doing the change?

$10 is a pack of ciggis ..no probs

Thanks
Big Rob

www.talkalotofshit.com => YES ITS A REAL SITE HAHA
robtek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 10:35 PM   #5
Beetus
Now drifting a falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally351
pics would be good!
sorry dont have any atm, but basically it looks the same as as the original fan shroud, just a lil smaller.....
Old 13-06-2007, 10:38 PM   #6
Beetus
Now drifting a falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtek
mate fantastic idea.....and only $10 for complete setup?? ....i must be tired or not reading it right lol :P ...mate if its only $10, or even $20..i'll get on it next couple of days....any advice that I should look out for while doing the change?

$10 is a pack of ciggis ..no probs

Thanks
Big Rob
na u were reading right, i mean any commodore v6 can have a thermo, but i think the vn to vr ones are to big.....not sure, because of the electric motor, but a vs one will definately fit, i got mine for 10 and had wire and a switch, so realistically 30 bucks i spose? just a matter of taking your shroud and fan off and seeing what fits!!! and as for cooling my xr8 barely ever gets into the normal zone :p
Old 13-06-2007, 10:43 PM   #7
robtek

hmmm VS eh...i'll ring some wreckers tomorrow and just enquire..was meant to upgrade to thermo's long time ago, never got around to it..but pics of your setup would add nicely to the thread

thanks for the insight mate

www.talkalotofshit.com => YES ITS A REAL SITE HAHA
robtek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 11:22 PM   #8
eed-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so how does it go? overheat? Did you put a relay on it? i was running a volvo fan without a relay hooked upto an on/off switch in my cabin and **** the switch itself got hot!
520rwhp
eed-250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 11:48 PM   #9
fritzz

lol always use a relay with thermo fans, there draw a fear bit of current.

falcon thermos work better than the commo 1's, but they do the job
# 1997 EL Falcon GLI - Custom built AU 4L bottom end, Billet Turbos B76-GTS, Nizpro plenum, 6boost manifold, Autronic SM4, Custom billet surecam camshaft, 3x 044 pumps and custom undercar surge tank, Custom 4" exhaust, ID2000 Injectors, 60mm Turbosmart gate, Turbosmart race port bov, , Tremec TKO 600, Cebco 330mm Brakes, 3.7:1 9" diff with billet axles and trutrack center 608rwkw, 9.6sec 1/4mile

# 2008 FPV FG GTE - Xa Coilovers, 20x8.5/ 20x10 fairladys
fritzz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 01:39 AM   #10
Beetus
Now drifting a falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eed-250
so how does it go? overheat? Did you put a relay on it? i was running a volvo fan without a relay hooked upto an on/off switch in my cabin and **** the switch itself got hot!
i put a fuse in, never over heats, alot of the time i dont use it my car doesnt get hot enough, even without it goin slow through the city it gets to half temp, but with it on its always cold jsut on the normal line. You have to put the right kind of switch in.........