Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-04-2007, 09:26 PM   #1
old_mate
Smash the Boost

Default buying a dual cab something or rather

hey all
basically i am thinking about a more sensible car for work, and have been thinking about a ute. While i know what buying a AU/BA/BF ute would do the job nicely im interested in opinons on going for a 4x4 Hilux, Trition, Courier, Bravo, Navara, single cab Patrol, Landcruiser etc etc. I want value for money and reliability. I know i wont go fast but thats ok. A friend cant say enough about his Tritons (petrol) but im after a broad range of opinons. I still may buy an ex telstra Hiace yet lol

Oh and if i did buy a ford ute, i'd need a canopy too, are they easy to take off? cheers

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 10:02 PM   #2
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

There was a thread on this, i'll dig it up.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=37661
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 10:11 PM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I like the Navaras ... quite a strong workhorse vehicle.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 10:12 PM   #4
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Hilux are good. I'm 6 foot and managed to sit in the back without too much hassle.
Similar to driving a Prado Wagon really.
Old 25-04-2007, 10:18 PM   #5
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we picked up a new dual cab 4L V6 4X4 Hilux SR with 5 speed auto elec windows, A/C, carpet floor, cloth seats (front buckets) etc for $35,000 - i think that is really good. That was a purchase based on price/value for money for a work vehicle.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 10:20 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

How much u wanna spend??

For the money these Dual Cabs Command id rather the comfort of a brand new BF XLS.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 10:24 PM   #7
GK351

You can not go wrong with the Hilux SR5.
They have a good reputation and will go forever pending you look after it.
GK351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 11:07 PM   #8
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darran
Hilux are good. I'm 6 foot and managed to sit in the back without too much hassle.
Similar to driving a Prado Wagon really.
Have you tried to sit in the back of a Crewman? Looks as if you nearly kiss the back ot the front seats.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 11:22 PM   #9
dishpig
Only an xr6...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
There was a thread on this, i'll dig it up.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=37661
LOL I decided to buy a falcon about a month after i made that thread and I would never ever look back.

TICKFORD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FPV
dishpig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 11:26 PM   #10
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

just got a new company hack dual cab hilux 2wd.
Ex council with 60,000 on it,an SR with power windows,airbags,air and 4.0lt V6 auto,the thing hauls arss with a load of gear on,was quite suprised when I first drove it,not bad for 20k all up..
I still have my old 2 hilux's,87' model which is a farm hack now,and 96 model 2.4 petrol,they just wont die,never spent a zack on them,cept for brakes and a clutch or 2,I wont ever buy anything else in these types of vehicle..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 11:42 PM   #11
AussieJason

We had a Triton at work that was an ok-ish car. It was replaced with another Triton (not the new look one), which was a lemon, doing in power steering pumps all the time, overheating, wouldn't start sometimes etc...

I'd get a Hilux, their reputation speaks for itself.

Not sure on what the Ford Ranger / Mazda BT-50 is like though. Had a look at one at the local Ford dealer, but haven't driven one.

Previous Falcons:
2003 BA Falcon XL Ute White
1994 EF Falcon GLi Aqua

bseries.com.au Member

And drive a Holden company car...
AussieJason is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 09:24 AM   #12
pb02
inconceivable!

Similar situation. I've driven the Ranger and it was very good! Only problem is being a new model there is no idea on re-sale or long term reliability.... I'm looking more at Hilux as I've been able to get a better deal. Honestly you probably can't go to far wrong so I would look at who can get you a good deal.
With my trade in I was able to get a better deal on a 4x4 Hilux than a 2x4 Ranger!!
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 09:58 AM   #13
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm with you Old_Mate, I'm looking for a twin cab too.

Drive had a review last week that reviewed the main players:

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...ID=38059&vf=15

I've got experience in several of these trucks now, so can say that the ones that have impressed me so so far are the Hi Lux, the Rodeo and the Ranger.

I'm looking for something with grunt to tow with so low down torque is what I'm after.

At the end of the day, it'll be what you like and what kind of a deal you can wrangle out of the dealer!
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 05:48 PM   #14
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have never heard a bad thing about Hilux except that they cost a bit more, but better resale and reliable too. Have a 06 SR 4.0V6 Xcab auto, air, cruise and it's all you'd need for a work and weekend hack. Saying that we should've got the dual cab as the back seat in the new Lux and Navara is now car like in size and the tray isn't that small. Especially at Chevypower's price.
We got the Xtracab to stow tools, dog and stuff that you don't want swiped out of the tray, coming out of a Landcruiser tray it's handy as. Also stacks quicker. Dualie would have stowed the kids or a coupla workers in the back too, but then it'd need to be cleaned occassionally so you win some you lose some.

The Navara diesels are great and very comfy on the highway too. Triton same - 4x2 is a good package deal.
Mate has a new Ranger XLT 3.0 auto for daily driver and towing a 7.2mt boat and is loving it, not one bad word. He came out of a BA XR8 auto ute so the fact he reckons the Ranger's got plenty of go is promising. It and the Rodeo are the last of the real 4x4 oriented utes but this means the back row is still a little compromised but better than adequate.

If I was looking at spending the 50 odd on a new Hilux SR5, I'd have to give F150s,F250s a bit of a look too - awesome and great resale, parking hmmm.
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 08:20 PM   #15
old_mate
Smash the Boost

i'd be after something sub 20k, so a late 90's model Hilux sounds the way to go. I'd love a 06 Navara but way too exxy for me

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 11:33 PM   #16
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

New UK Ranger model looks good though.
Old 26-04-2007, 11:49 PM   #17
1600GT

im actually going down this road too ATM.
im getting out of my BA XR8 ute, and the new 4.0 V6 Navara STX has won me.
i looked at everything on the market, including the (heaven help me...) Ssangyong, Navara, Hilux, Triton, and BT50/Ranger, and it came down to the Navara STX and the Hilux SR5.
the Ssangyong... yeah well... not bad for $27k on the road, but it's built like a new $27k car too.
the Triton... waaaay to high in the tray sides for me and my job (i have to be able to reach in the tray over the sides...)
the BT50/Ranger... nice unit, but only available as Diesel and 4WD. i want petrol and 2WD... no good there then.
both the Navara and the Hilux are available as petrol 2WD, both are bulletproof, both are well thought out and pretty comfortable as far as dual cab utes go, both go very well and have a good towing capacity, so it was a tie in those departments.

the decider was, IMHO, that the Navara offers the best package for the money because it comes with a few extra things as standard which are options on the Hilux (and 1 is damn expensive at that!!), and a few more things that arent available at all on the Hilux too.
on top of that, my Navara will cost me near enuf to $8k cheaper on the road and all set up as i need (its a work car).

and even tho i'm going from 260kW of V8 to 198kW of V6, it'll still be plenty, as the 175kW XH XR8 i had before the BA was more than capable.

hope that helps.

Last edited by 1600GT; 26-04-2007 at 11:56 PM.
1600GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2007, 12:32 AM   #18
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1600GT
the BT50/Ranger... nice unit, but only available as Diesel and 4WD. i want petrol and 2WD... no good there then.
The Ranger is available in two 2wd variants. You can get it in the traditional style, with small wheels and low ride height. Or with the 4wd ride height and big wheels. (which no other manufacturer offers)
Dont know why you'd want a petrol one for, the diesels are fantastic, got a crapload of torque and use probably 30%-50% of the fuel as an equivalent petrol V6 model.
Ive driven most of the late model utes and the Ranger is far and away the best of the lot at the moment. It helps it looks so tough too, compared to the Hilux which looks like a melted ****.

Im thinking of a Ranger singlecab 2wd 'Highrider', but I want power windows, cruise and carpet floor (rather than the vinyl) which isnt available. Its a pity, because that would make it just about perfect. So those missing items have saved me a unrational purchase....so far
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.

Last edited by XR Martin; 27-04-2007 at 12:40 AM.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2007, 09:44 AM   #19
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Im thinking of a Ranger singlecab 2wd 'Highrider', but I want power windows, cruise and carpet floor (rather than the vinyl) which isnt available. Its a pity, because that would make it just about perfect. So those missing items have saved me a unrational purchase....so far
I test drove a highrider Ranger and was very impressed. Yesterday I test drove a Hilux 4x4 SR and one of the first things I noticed was electric windows and remote keyless entry. Cruise control will be a must for me also. It's the little things like this that make the Hilux just a little better for me.
Old 27-04-2007, 04:03 PM   #20
ler

What's a good cheap automatic ute? would the subaru brumby be one of the cheaper ones?
ler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 10:48 AM   #21
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_mate
A friend cant say enough about his Tritons (petrol) but im after a broad range of opinons.
How long has your mate had a Triton? I'm looking at options at the moment and test drove one on the weekend and it was fantastic!! Would like to know a bit more about them.
Old 30-04-2007, 07:07 PM   #22
polecat
Starter Motor

its a ford forum get a ford ranger 39000 on road 4x4 duel cab come on enough about toyotas
polecat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 07:41 PM   #23
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I found out the other day that my Boss has been waiting on a few Rangers since December. Still no word when they be available. He's now looking at Hiluxs but I think their waiting times are just as bad at the moment.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 07:43 PM   #24
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by polecat
its a ford forum get a ford ranger 39000 on road 4x4 duel cab come on enough about toyotas
Correct, it is a Ford Forum. That does not mean we cannot like other makes!
Old 30-04-2007, 09:53 PM   #25
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by polecat

The Ranger looks tough, is tough....just not these ones

An English city just bought 6 4x2 Ranger Tippers in Magenta with matching backs 2.5Td for the cleanup crews as they expect better resale on the Rangers than with others. Must be the same city that bought a London Cab in the same colour the other week, choice!

......nowhere near as tough as the dualcab ute version of the Hummer H3 which will be coming late next year