Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-04-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default V-Facts March

Australians bought a record number of cars, trucks and buses in the first quarter of 2007, according to official retail sales figures released today by the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI).

Figures compiled by auto industry statistician VFACTS show that 255,068 vehicles were sold in the first three months of the year – up 20,463 or 8.7 per cent on the same period of 2006 and surpassing the previous record for the quarter, set two years ago, of 237,000.

March sales were also an all-time record for the month of 94,392 – up 8.3 per cent on the same month last year.

"By any measure it's a remarkably strong start to the year and one that has probably taken even the optimists in our industry slightly by surprise," said FCAI Chief Executive Peter Sturrock.

"Consumers appear to have shaken off any lingering concerns about fuel prices and interest rates and have responded enthusiastically to the intensely competitive prices being offered in dealerships."

The FCAI is forecasting a sales total this year of 970,000.

Mr Sturrock said sales growth was being experienced in almost every segment of the market, large as well as small.

Sales of family cars in the Large passenger vehicle segment grew an encouraging 4.7 per cent last month compared to March 2006.

The segment was boosted by strong sales of Holden Commodore, which was Australia's best-selling model with sales of 5752, and Toyota Aurion with 2037 sales.

"The strong domestic sales of Australian-made Holdens and Toyotas is a welcome addition to the export growth those car makers are achieving," said Peter Sturrock.

The fastest-growing of all sales segments was Small passenger cars, which added 8532 sales or 16.7 per cent in the first quarter.

Light car sales grew by 3334 of 11.9 per cent, SUV Compact by 2851 or 22.2 per cent and SUV Medium by 1617 or 4.7 per cent.

Sales in the Pick-up/Cab-chassis 4x4 segment grew by 4614 or 30.0 per cent in the first quarter.

"Australians still have a desire and practical need for bigger vehicles and the rebound in SUV sales and 4x4 pick-up sales reflects that," said Peter Sturrock.

Toyota was Australia's most popular brand in March with 21,390 sales ahead of Holden (13,454) and Ford (10,074).

Year-to-date Toyota has 22.0 per cent of the market, from Holden (14.3 per cent) and Ford (10.7 per cent).

Brands experiencing strong growth in the first quarter include Mazda with a 7.9 per cent share (up from 7.1), Nissan with 6.6 (up from 5.1), Mitsubishi with 6.2 (up from 5.5) and Honda also on 6.2 (up from 5.5).

WTF !!! Toyota sales nearly equal both Ford and Holden, together !!!!!!!

csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
robs_ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
WTF !!! Toyota sales nearly equal both Ford and Holden, together !!!!!!!
Could this be the result of fuel prices taking their toll on large car sales? :
robs_ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 12:50 PM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs_ls1
Could this be the result of fuel prices taking their toll on large car sales? :
My wife hired the latest Camry,last month and the fuel consumption wasn't much better than our V8 Fairmont. But, small car sales are booming, thats why FORD is bringing in more FIESTA, FOCUS and the Mondeo models. I will be interested in a Mondeo TD 2.2 diesel wagon, if they bring it in.
Old 13-04-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
robs_ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
My wife hired the latest Camry
I'm willing to bet that the Corolla took the lion's share of Toyota's sales.

Camry is almost a large car.

EDIT: Here are the top 20 for the month (as per drive dot com):

Holden Commodore....5752
Toyota Corolla.....4029
Ford Falcon.....3249
Mazda3.....3182
Toyota Yaris.....2702
Toyota Camry.....2574
Toyota Aurion.....2037
Hyundai Getz.....1895
Holden Astra.....1771
Honda Civic.....1685
Ford Focus.....1595
Mitsubishi Lancer.....1575
Nissan Tiida.....1527
Honda CR-V.....1454
Toyota RAV4.....1406
Ford Territory.....1383
Toyota Prado.....1314
Suzuki Swift.....1251
Mazda6.....1232
Mitsubishi Pajero.....1213
robs_ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 02:13 PM   #5
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah and only one european car amongst 19 Australian Korean and Japanese cars.

Maybe Ford should look to Mazda rather than Ford Europe for the small to medium sized cars.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 05:09 PM   #6
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Yeah and only one european car amongst 19 Australian Korean and Japanese cars.
I count 2....Focus and Astra.

Falcon not doing too badly.....I guess its OK if it stays above 3000. Will never match the brand new Commodore until Orion.

Great to see Civic in top 10 :P
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 05:12 PM   #7
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer1
I count 2....Focus and Astra.

Falcon not doing too badly.....I guess its OK if it stays above 3000. Will never match the brand new Commodore until Orion.

Great to see Civic in top 10 :P
Half right, Focus is designed in Europe built in South Africa (cept for the miniscule amount of XR5s sold)

Not sure where the Astra is built, I sort of remember Belgium for some reason, but they are also built in Germany, UK, Brazil, South Africa etc etc
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 06:10 PM   #8
jdg
Aussie cars rule!

Poor old Mitsu 380 doesnt even get a look in :P

jdg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 06:20 PM   #9
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Half right, Focus is designed in Europe built in South Africa (cept for the miniscule amount of XR5s sold)

Not sure where the Astra is built, I sort of remember Belgium for some reason, but they are also built in Germany, UK, Brazil, South Africa etc etc
Yeah I know, but its still European as it was designed and developed there. The C-Class and 3-Series are built in Sth Africa too and they're definitely considered European.
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 10:20 PM   #10
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer1
Yeah I know, but its still European as it was designed and developed there. The C-Class and 3-Series are built in Sth Africa too and they're definitely considered European.
Great then my captiva is aussie and not koreon like everyone says. It was designed and developed in aus : :
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2007, 02:05 AM   #11
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

One thing I don't get is why the Fiesta isn't there... Is there a global shortage on these? They're the best looking small car by a country mile! I'm gonna buy one of these for the Mrs - whether she likes it or not.
Old 14-04-2007, 08:03 AM   #12
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS

Its still a European car.

They build VW's, BMW's and Mercedes' all over the world, but you don't hear anyone saying they're not Euro cars. But I guess if its a Ford badge it can be anything hey? :
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2007, 11:23 AM   #13
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
One thing I don't get is why the Fiesta isn't there... Is there a global shortage on these? They're the best looking small car by a country mile! I'm gonna buy one of these for the Mrs - whether she likes it or not.
Great car. I have had one for 2 years. Runs well. Good specifications and economy.