Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-02-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
fahim
Starter Motor

Default How to Replace AU Single Din Stereo

Ok so my Dad asked me to change the stereo in his taxi, and when I went online to seek some help/advice, I came across someones post who suggested 'thinking outside the box'. The way i see it, if you don't have the know how, don't post!!!

So heres my little bit to help, in 10 easy steps.

1. This is the basic AU falcon stereo setup

2. To remove, get a coat hanger and open it up, split it into 2 and form 2 U-shape pieces. Wack these into the little holes, and slide the stereo out.

3. Snip the wires off ONE by ONE (this avoids short circuiting)

4. With a current detector, find the power cable. (It's the yellow one.)

5. With the current detector, find the accessory power cable (its the purple one)

6. Get a bendy metal with holes in it, I call it the Bendy Holy Metal. Screw it into the sides of the deck.

7. Slide out the bottom pocket and position it under the deck. Place some spacers between the bottom pocket and the deck. I used cork and taped it in with duct tape.

8. Screw it in. Make sure it is positioned correctly.

9. Push the, now 1 piece, deck & pocket back into the console. The bottom pocket will clip in, holding everything in place.

10. Enjoy your new deck.

fahim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Nice job...

With regard to 2. (wacking in the coathanger to remove head unit) do you have to jiggle the coathangers or pull them a particular way? I've been trying to remove my double din head unit and I'm buggered if I can get any movement at all with the coathanger method.

Coathangers go in, then sorta "click" and then.... nothing.

Got my hand up behind the head unit but it ain't going anywhere...
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2007, 08:16 PM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

Tried the coathanger trick, but wouldnt work for me when I done mine. Also, I have the same (I think) Head unit as that, worked well for just over a year, but now in summer, in the afternoons when the interior is hot, the cd's wont go all the way in, so I use a long plastic spoon to force them in. It also starts skipping for no reason sometimes as well. Id say I just need an upgrade.
Thanks for the write up though.
Old 18-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #4
fahim
Starter Motor

yeh don't be afraid to shove it in all the way, and a bit of shuffling and jiggling. keep the coat hangers right in the holes when pulling out. also, try sticking your finger in the tape deck and pulling it out a bit.
fahim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2007, 08:55 PM   #5
AU dude
Flying high...

When i removed my factory unit i used four small screw drivers, shoved them into holes and pushed either side outward to the side of the car and got someone to pull the thing out. Then unplugged the wires and arial and threw it in the nearest bin...

AU dude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2007, 08:57 PM   #6
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU dude
When i removed my factory unit i used four small screw drivers, shoved them into holes and pushed either side outward to the side of the car and got someone to pull the thing out. Then unplugged the wires and arial and threw it in the nearest bin...
Exactly what I did. The coat hanger thing was useless.

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2007, 09:52 PM   #7
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU dude
Well, with a couple of long allen keys, a screwdriver and a drill bit, I got it out!

Trick is to have something strong enough to push the "spring clip" which allows the unit to slide out.

With mine I didn't have to jiggle, push one way or the other or anything else.

Constant pressure on each clip released it and it slid out about 12mm.

I won't throw mine in the bin as it works perfectly (never had the probs a lot of people have had) and I'll reinstall it when I sell the car.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #8
XR Rob
2003 BA XR8

Nice work Fahim - that's a great little tutorial there, mate!
XR Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post