Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 15-02-2007, 09:58 PM   #1
jjj

Default Secondary CAI fitted to airbox.

Well the pod setup i had recently kept getting heatsoaked so i designed a new secondary intake from looking at the BF XR6 turbo airbox.

Cleaned & Re-oiled my K&N panel filter and dropped it in and took for test drive.

Better throttle response and revs out easier. Don't know how much power gained but it definately runs alot smoother.

Here is a pic.

Last edited by jjj; 15-02-2007 at 10:18 PM.
jjj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 01:15 AM   #2
jjj

A couple of more pics. This mod is working really well, it's amazing what a bit more denser cold air does to the engine performance.

Anyone done a similar mod like this? as seen on the BF xr6 turbo lower airbox tray.

Any comments and feedback?

Pacemaker 4499's
Megaflow 2.5in Cat
X-Force 2.5in Sports Exhaust
Champion STEEL igntion leads
K&N panel filter, EL GT Snorkel, modified airbox
16in Speedy Holotype-R mags on 225 tyres
Old 16-02-2007, 03:24 AM   #3
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Firstly, I just can't be convinced there is THAT much air coming in from behind the headlight.
Secondly, If there is that much air coming in then it is poor body/panel design & fit (on cars that don't have an intake there)

Unless I can find a midget willing to sit under my closed bonnet whilst I go for a drive I don't think I'll put an intake there.

All up, what you've done looks pretty good and if it makes a slight difference then well done.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 05:58 AM   #4
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjj
A couple of more pics. This mod is working really well, it's amazing what a bit more denser cold air does to the engine performance.

Anyone done a similar mod like this? as seen on the BF xr6 turbo lower airbox tray.

Any comments and feedback?
Good on you for having a go at doing your own, one small thing for better and smooth air flow I would move the ribs out of your tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADED6
Firstly, I just can't be convinced there is THAT much air coming in from behind the headlight.
Secondly, If there is that much air coming in then it is poor body/panel design & fit (on cars that don't have an intake there)

Unless I can find a midget willing to sit under my closed bonnet whilst I go for a drive I don't think I'll put an intake there.

All up, what you've done looks pretty good and if it makes a slight difference then well done.
All good air boxes are getting there air from behind the headlight, the air box I use has had been used to run 600 H/P.
This air box along with the G&D Performance, Bluepower & Nizpro air boxes take all there air solely from only behind the headlight there inst a secondary outlet, all these air boxes power the quickest quarter mile times in B-Series Falcons n/a 6, 6T & 8 along with AU's.
Initially the xr6 turbo never had the inlet behind there.
With the above factory air box and the F6 snorkel we have seen 330rwkw.
All FPV's are taking there air from behind the headlight as the standard set-up.

Holden LS1 commodores use the same principle, its were all the good air is.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW

Last edited by SpoolMan; 16-02-2007 at 06:12 AM.
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 07:16 PM   #5
Damo
Banned

looks good, i was thinking of doing something very similar actually.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 07:30 PM   #6
AUTickford
XD197

It would work better if there was nothing in front of the cai, kind of defeats the purpose.A cold air intake is exactly how it sounds so if your not getting fresh untouched air its not cold at all its just air.
AUTickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 07:36 PM   #7
XR_Lightning
Riding The Lightning

pretty cool idea, similar to the BF F6's & XR8 airboxes, hope it works for you
Old 16-02-2007, 11:14 PM   #8
jjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTickford
It would work better if there was nothing in front of the cai, kind of defeats the purpose.A cold air intake is exactly how it sounds so if your not getting fresh untouched air its not cold at all its just air.
It is getting ambient temp air from a hole in the headlight assembly metal frame.

It's between the radiator side tank and headlight assembly. You can actually look down through the hole and see the front bumper cavity. Which is a HIGH PRESSURE AREA.

I have already stuck a thermocouple from my fluke multimeter and drove around and the air temp entering the 2nd intake is the same as on my climate ctrl computer. The funny thing was the air going into the original snorkel was around 10-15 degrees warmer than ambient temp.

Cheers..
Old 17-02-2007, 12:51 AM   #9
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Ok that is good research mate...Thanks
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2007, 02:56 AM   #10
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Good idea! I like! VN Commodores solely get their air from behind the headlight too. I know what I'm trying soon! LOL!
Old 17-02-2007, 03:37 AM   #11
AU2 Pursuit Ute
Fords : outlast Religion

jjj Great idea, I posted this B4 I read yours. I must say I am impressed, simple and effective, Thank You
I have been giving some thought to a home made Cold Air Induction Sysytem. My original one has the Tickford emblem moulded in so I kind of expect it to be different to standard XR8. (cant see any difference though). Do you think I will have any gain or problems if I drill a few 30mm holes in the front of the bottom air box, then use a section of a truck inner tube stretched over a wire frame that would funnel air from behind the near side headlight area, use this as well as factory CAI should give K&N access to more air but, would it also channel rain water in and soak my air filter? Has anyone home-made a CAI that works? Any thoughts/ideas/warnings or just a 'Heads Up' would be handy before I destroy my air box. .........Thanks...Dave
AU2 Pursuit Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2007, 01:49 PM   #12
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2 Pursuit Ute
....be handy before I destroy my air box. .........Thanks...Dave
Haha should see my airbox! One side is now fibreglass and looks really dodgy! Its fully sealed tho so meh!! :
Old 17-02-2007, 04:08 PM   #13
jjj

A few more pics showing the location of air pickup.

Also the pipe i used is just the intake pipe of any CPI EA falcon. I did a cpi to mpi conversion on my previous car(EA spak) so i had all the parts still in the shed.
Old 17-02-2007, 06:54 PM   #14
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Yeah very good! I doubt the ripples in the pipe will make much difference for that location, very manouverable like that too.

Does anyone have the bottom half of EB2 air box they'd like to get rid of? I cant find one anywhere at wreakers! PM me please!