Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-01-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Default Ford Spares .. how long do they keep making them?

I was under the impression that spare parts from Ford were kept in circulation for 10 years after the model was superceded.

Is this true, or is it just "MIFF" (I think he meant myth) as I was told by a spare parts rep from a Melbourne Ford Dealer?

Thanks
Nick

Old 22-01-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

they are "supposed" to be held for 8 years and thats really only required for consumerable parts, not all.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

its a legal requirement thatthey keep parts in stock for 10 years.
Old 22-01-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well they didnt make the chrome trim that goes around the mirror for a 98 fairlane in 2003(had to get a 2nd hand one)

but you can still buy a manual pedal box for an EA :
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 02:26 PM   #5
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

i know last year ford geelong ran xm door hinges. beat that.

2003 BA Xr6 Turbo (Atomic Long, DTM auto, Nizpro stage2 kit, eaton truetrac, E85, HeadsexTuned)
Mr_4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 02:33 PM   #6
partzkid

they try and keep all of the parts for ten years that are necessary to make a car driveable, eg, most of the mechanicals. they tend to stop keeping bits and pieces like interior parts, dress up parts like that chrome strip as well as limited run parts, like EB EL GT's parts. sometimes the OEM original equipment manufacturer stops making the parts and because they are slow moving ford will list them as ONR out of stock non-replaceable part because the investment required to get another company to make them isn't worth it

just my 2 cents
partzkid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 02:34 PM   #7
Skooter

for my 93 eb stuff was starting to become no longer available in 2004/5 so around 10 years sounds about right.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 03:21 PM   #8
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

So I rang a Melbourne dealer this morning trying to source an automatic transmission out of an AU series 1 (v8) - said they no longer make them?

That's a bit rough seeing as though the AU isn't all that old.
Old 22-01-2007, 03:28 PM   #9
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got the holder for the seat bealt clip brand new for my 1989 TX5 a few years ago. Wasn't cheap but!

I used second hand parts after that. Some person wanted $1500 to do my drivers side power window. I did it myself for $160 without knowing a thing
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 03:34 PM   #10
MarkAW

Its ten years from the start of the series ie BA started in 2002 ?? (not sure of date) so that all the BF stuff will finish at the same time 02 plus 10 = 2012 yet my new BF rolled off the line less than 3 months ago. I only have 5 years to go!!!

BTW if you need bits for older models, rare spares at Homebush seems to carry a lot of trim and lock bits.
MarkAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 08:43 PM   #11
nb_351
building the xe...

i heard the other day they still make the door handles for xd-xf falcons... seeing as they had a lifetime warranty and all apparently... ill be taking mine down there i think... they still do it as warranty work aswell i think...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 08:58 PM   #12
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
its a legal requirement thatthey keep parts in stock for 10 years.
Yep that's 100% correct, on our recent factory tour of the Ford plant they told us they must keep all the dies etc.: for making car parts 10 years after the model has been discontinued.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 09:51 PM   #13
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedjay
well they didnt make the chrome trim that goes around the mirror for a 98 fairlane in 2003(had to get a 2nd hand one)

but you can still buy a manual pedal box for an EA :

well that was just 5 years and i remember them(ford) searching all over the place for it.. and they still could not get one!!

ford still sell door handles for XDs although to be fair i think they are the same as XH one's??
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 10:03 PM   #14
naxh96

my xh got chrome door handles at the end of last year from my ford dealer when they replaced my radiator after a $300 tow since my thermostat ceased to function and kept overheating my ute. brilliant RACQ associated mechanic conveniently insisted to my father and i that the guts of the thermostat could not be removed and put said thermostat back in its place as the car would still overheat. a costly tow later and the boys at the dealership tell us that the $300 was the easiest said mechanic made that day.

also just ordered an EL (or EB maybe?) GT leather gear boot from melbourne. will be here by friday hopefully. either way 10 years have gone and they're still around parts and service in the counry.
naxh96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 10:45 PM   #15
1970galaxie
Fat 460

I did a tour of the Ford plant in 1986.
At the time, they said that when a production model ends, they produce enough parts to last seven years, based on their calculations.
That's why some parts last for ages, and some parts are obsolete very quickly. They only predict that they'll last seven years!
Occasionally, parts become obsolete, but then re-appear some years later. That's because parts are stored in containers, and sometimes they "find" these parts where they didn't think they had them!
......That's what we were told.
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
1970galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 11:41 PM   #16
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The last XC GXL grilles were made in 1991, I believe
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post