Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-01-2007, 01:03 AM   #31
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

fudge the xr's and the ghias, get a t3
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 01:08 AM   #32
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennAUII
XR...
I can't see the point in buying a powerful car and getting an auto.. no fun at all imo
As I've said before, comments like that only come from people who have never driven a car with a decent auto.
Old 13-01-2007, 01:32 AM   #33
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
As I've said before, comments like that only come from people who have never driven a car with a decent auto.
The BTR 4 speed is not anything to write home about. Also i actually used to work at a ford dealer and i've driven plenty of falcons and territories with the ZF 6spd. I'd still take a manual. Its personal preference.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 01:47 AM   #34
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
XR...
They're usually optioned up more than ghias, more powerful, and you can't get a manual ghia. I can't see the point in buying a powerful car and getting an auto.. no fun at all imo
Dang, you need to get out more then LOL
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 02:10 AM   #35
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, let me clarify my meaning of decent, NOT FACTORY. I'm talking about something with a high stall and a shift kit. And as far as **** goes, nothing beats the T5
Old 13-01-2007, 12:56 PM   #36
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
I was thinking it was more a comment coming from someone who had never actually driven a powerful car ;)

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 04:22 PM   #37
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez touchy touchy.. The guy asked for an opinion which car to buy and for what reason. A BTR 4 speed isn't really my idea of excitement when throwing it into corners etc..
They're not a bad box.. and stockoau the T5 isn't a bad grearbox either. Like i said, personal preference.
Old 13-01-2007, 04:23 PM   #38
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
I was thinking it was more a comment coming from someone who had never actually driven a powerful car ;)
yes.. because you know every car i've driven and all.. _
Old 13-01-2007, 05:24 PM   #39
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Geez touchy touchy.. The guy asked for an opinion which car to buy and for what reason. A BTR 4 speed isn't really my idea of excitement when throwing it into corners etc..
They're not a bad box.. and stockoau the T5 isn't a bad grearbox either. Like i said, personal preference.
With a stally and shift kit, the BTR4 can be alot of fun, just as any auto. And the T5 isn't a bad box, if your car is guttless, otherwise you'll be eating them. The only good thing about the T5's is that they're cheap.
Old 13-01-2007, 08:37 PM   #40
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Just adding my two cents, I have owned Auto falcons (EF ghia, EL Fairmont and BA XR6T) for most of my life, but the manual AU I now have is a lot more engaging and fun to drive, simply because it is manual. It's a pain in traffic but up in the hills you cant beat a manual, it even is a lot better than the BA's 'manual; auto mode.

The thing that the auto was good for was 1/4 mile, but in the hills it was usually on the money 85% of the time with its shift points, but it is just not the same as a manual.
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 08:49 PM   #41
congo3sr

take the ghia mate
congo3sr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 10:03 PM   #42
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
With a stally and shift kit, the BTR4 can be alot of fun, just as any auto. And the T5 isn't a bad box, if your car is guttless, otherwise you'll be eating them. The only good thing about the T5's is that they're cheap.
The only auto I have ever owned I had to get rid of after 3 months because it was boring the shizen out of me. I prefer to drive my cars rather then steer them.

Like Glenn said, personal preference.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 10:41 PM   #43
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
There's a very nice Meteorite AUXR8 in the for sale section, nearly like my old ride oh the memories !!!!
Ah yeahs lol lots of memories of the grey beast.

Ok BTR slushers v Tragic 5's aside....

I reckon it'd really come down to how well the car has been maintained that'll be the ultimate decider after having the opportunity to drive both cars. See which you prefer - clutch, stick and _Oo===oO_ or creature comforts with a bit of a sleeper go.
Old 13-01-2007, 10:57 PM   #44
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
The only auto I have ever owned I had to get rid of after 3 months because it was boring the shizen out of me. I prefer to drive my cars rather then steer them.

Like Glenn said, personal preference.
And like Glenn, You've clearly never driven a car with a decent auto
Old 13-01-2007, 10:59 PM   #45
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I realise it comes down to preferance, but it bugs me when people who have only driven guttless cars with stock autos therfore have the knoledge to say how autos are no fun and boring
Old 14-01-2007, 02:47 AM   #46
5L
[ 5L ]

id say an xr with leather, best of both worlds. got performance, and a lil bit of class. going from an e-series to an au its going to feel better either way.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #47
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I realise it comes down to preferance, but it bugs me when people who have only driven guttless cars with stock autos therfore have the knoledge to say how autos are no fun and boring
umm read back a couple of posts. I've driven F6's and GT's with the ZF. Don't take it so personally mate.
Old 14-01-2007, 12:45 PM   #48
fordAU

Dan, you say that you are interested in purchasing either a S3 manual XR8 or S3 5.0 Ghia.

Both very different vehicles but you know that anyway.

If you are after a performance car the XR8 is your choice, the 220 is way ahead of the 175, the Ghia is not even close. The XR8 manual is a drivers car, it demands to be driven if that makes sense, they are moody, loud, unrefined, go like the clappers and are not a relaxing vehicle to drive but they are an absolute delight, Tickford did well with this series.

If you are after comfort the obvious choice is the Ghia, again a very nice vehicle, no performance but its not designed for that, they are quiet, refined, comfortable and a relaxing drive, the auto is boring but if you drive in heavy traffic most of the time its a good choice.

Personally I would go for the XR8, a few manuals for sale atm but each to their own.
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2007, 01:38 PM   #49
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
And it also bugs me when people think they know every car that a person has ever driven, so before you go proclaiming that us manual drivers are mere pheasants compared to you and your shift kitted auto, do your damn research, or go preach elsewhere.

Back on topic, mate go the XR8, you will never go wrong when there is a Tickford badge involved.

Oo\===/oO
Old 14-01-2007, 01:49 PM   #50
xr8ute
Back on the road

I still say go the T1/T2...no reason not to have both.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2007, 02:10 PM   #51
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And it also bugs me when people think they know every car that a person has ever driven, so before you go proclaiming that us manual drivers are mere pheasants compared to you and your shift kitted auto, do your damn research, or go preach elsewhere.

Back on topic, mate go the XR8, you will never go wrong when there is a Tickford badge involved.
sorry, that may have seemed dirrected at prior post, but I was talking in general. They both have advantages/dissadvantages, And I'll agree with anyone who says a stock AU with a stock auto is boring, cause thats what I've got and it is.
Old 14-01-2007, 02:27 PM   #52
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
....so before you go proclaiming that us manual drivers are mere pheasants compared to you and your shift kitted auto.....
Peuty, this is a pheasant....

I think you mean peasant.

Like so....

;)
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2007, 05:12 PM   #53
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
Peuty, this is a pheasant....

I think you mean peasant.

Like so....

;)
Thank you mattp. I will use that information wisely and responsibly .

Oo\===/oO
Old 15-01-2007, 11:40 PM   #54
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

try driving a manual with a ceramic clucth as this was the only option to try and handle the power of scharged xr8 shuddering its nuts on every take off in the city and you to would swap (yes not as much fun but more relaxed when you arrive at destination)my uncle has a s2 ghia full kit,sunroof xr wheels,suspension ,v8 from the factory,just dumped it and full exhaust and is just as horny as my s3 xr8
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post