Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 15-12-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Trip Computer

How can I be sure that the trip computer in my EB is working correctly? Ive been trying to keep an eye on the fuel consumption figures that the trip computer displays, but the results seem to be highly erratic going from 12-13 L/100km to about 30 at times, making it hard to get an accurate reading.
Diagnostics test? After resetting the trip computer, how long should i drive for before taking a reading?

Former Rides:
EB1 FAIRMONT – 4.0, A4, FULL EXHAUST, WADE 1004, TIP J3, 18” BA XR8’S, SUPERLOWS, SPRINT KIT,
AU1 FAIRMONT GHIA – 5.0, A4, 3" CATBACK, 20" VERSUS WRAITH, ULTRALOWS, TICKFORD & MOMO GOODIES
EBTom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2006, 01:15 PM   #2
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

What setting do you have it on when it flares? Because having it on instant reading can do that. Plant it and watch the sucker jump to 99!

If you want an accurate reading for the average fuel consumption per 100kms, reset the trip computer when your driving style is set to change (ie you're about to embark on a 1000km highway trip, you don't want your city-driving readings impacting on the results).

The L/100km average will jump around for a while after resetting, as its base point (let's call it "KM zero") is the point in time when you reset it. The longer you drive it without resetting, the calmer the average appears to be (changing by 0.1L/100km after say 200kms driving instead of 10L/100km changes in the first couple of kms)
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2006, 01:26 PM   #3
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok Thanks. I was using the average L/100km setting but i shall try waiting alot longer between readings to let it settle. Sorry but what fuel consumption figures should i be looking at for an auto 6 on gas?

Former Rides:
EB1 FAIRMONT – 4.0, A4, FULL EXHAUST, WADE 1004, TIP J3, 18” BA XR8’S, SUPERLOWS, SPRINT KIT,
AU1 FAIRMONT GHIA – 5.0, A4, 3" CATBACK, 20" VERSUS WRAITH, ULTRALOWS, TICKFORD & MOMO GOODIES
Old 15-12-2006, 01:41 PM   #4
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

I dont know about a gas reading, but my old Auto 6 ED, got around 9l/100k's average... that was on petrol.

That car had only done 80,000k's, so a car with average k's would expect to get a little bit higher.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2006, 01:50 PM   #5
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I find the km left to be the least reliable reading. it doesn't seem to fit what I've put in the car. It does seem to settle a littel over time but takes ages.
The instant reading is supposed to be for when you select that reading. You can get reasonable instant readings by leaving it on but expect those unexpected figures.
I'd say you should be around 12l/100 km on LPG. Expect a little higher consumption than when on petrol.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2006, 01:52 PM   #6
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice. Sometimes my fuel seems to last ages but sometimes it eats through half a tank of gas in no time at all. Cant really complain though as it costs less than $25 to fill it from empty.
I might try checking the reading on petrol as well for comparison.

Former Rides:
Old 15-12-2006, 02:04 PM   #7
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

o/t, my DTE readings are dead-accurate!

I rocked up to KFC one night (rather low on fuel, DTE = 1km) and parked on a slight uphill gradient. I ate some dirty bird, then got back in the car. Car wouldn't start, no fuel! I put her in neutral and rolled 2m backwards until the car was flat again. Car fired up fine

I drove 500m to a fuel station and just as I pulled in she was coughing and spluttering.

My car must hate me sometimes
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2006, 02:23 PM   #8
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DTE= Distance until empty?
I never really pay much attention to the range on the trip computer. I just fill up when im on the last light or two on the gas guage.

Former Rides:
Old 15-12-2006, 02:30 PM   #9
bdennis
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My DTE is spot on.. Got it down to 2ks. When up a hill. Started to play up. Leveled out then OK agian. Stoped at next survo and put 75+L in her.. Fairly good for a 68L tank!
bdennis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post